Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leroy Yes Victoria Park, Fothergill was just finishing his carreer, Kyne and Richards and of course Bill Twomey my hero! probably 1945 0r 46. Your one eyed ness never leaves ...well it didnt with me altho I dont watch now. Must say it was marvellous to see John Coleman later and I musta been asleep but missed seeing Bob Pratt who I believe was held to one goal by that great Australian cricketer Keith Miller. I only learnt recently that Miller even played OZ rules.
    Leroy who was your team an did you play?

Comment

Well George, if I'd been in Melbourne during that era cheering for my team I would've spent Thursday nights at Glenferrie Oval plotting the death of your mob and that nasty lot from Princess Park. I actually grew up in Sydney, but brown and gold runs in my veins thanks to my Dad. He grew up in country NSW and VIC cheering for Richmond, but when he moved to Melbourne to go to Monash he ended up living in Kew. He wasn't there long before he came to his senses. It sounds like it was actually pretty hard to cheer for the Tiges if you didn't live in Richmond! Haha!
      I've only been to one game in Melbourne. It was in about 1992/3 at Waverly (very aptly known as Arctic Park). Hawks v Pies. Can't remember who won. Always a great atmosphere at an AFL game though, even in Sydney. Hence I find NZ rugby crowds bizarre due to how dull and quiet they generally are.

Comment

Leroy, my Dad had a business in Richmond Press and General Photo Service, he took all of Richmond Football Club photos.
        I sold them as a lad a shilling per post card. A photographer in Collingwood, i think Boyle had all of the other teams bottled up with the exception of Hawthorne. So Dad arranged to be the photographer for them. Twas my job to sell them. Hell they were sorta bottom of the ladder and I cant remember selling one!
        So the Hawks werent the deal. Richmond ...Dad did do well with they were hovering around fourth on the ladder.
        Have you read Jack Dyers book? a damn good read

Comment

Yeah Hawthorn took their time coming up to speed. I think it took about 25 years and 5 or so failed attempts before a Hawthorn team eventually stayed in perpetual existence from around 1902. They were just a junior/local club for a decade or so, then in the VFA until it merged with the VFL in the '20s. I think they won less games in the '30s, '40s and '50s combined than they did in just a few seasons in the '70s! So I don't doubt they were the laughing stock of Melbourne when you grew up. I'm not surprised as it seems they never did any good until they changed their moniker from the Mayblooms to the Hawks. The Mayblooms?! Seriously?!
          They certainly made up for lost time in the '70s and '80s though. My earliest real footy memories are of Leigh Mathews last couple of seasons and the rivalry with Carlton and Essendon in the '80s. By the time we hammered the Ds in the '88 GF I was hooked and I got to watch greats like Dermy, Dipper, Platten, Tuck, Dunstall, Buckers, Ayres, Langford etc. on TV in their heyday. We still got less flags than the Pies but its slowly evening up.
          To answer your earlier question yes I did play, for 10 years as a junior. I had to stop playing when I was in pre season training for my first proper season in seniors as I had knee problems and I never went back. I regret it a little occasionally and it was only bad advice from a physio that stopped me playing, but I would never have gone further than Sydney Premier grade footy so its not like I was about to play in the AFL or anything. I possibly saved myself the odd injury as well (although I made up for that in snowboarding and cycling).
          I still really hope to go to an AFL Grand Final at the 'G sometime. It's one of the worlds greatest sporting spectacles I reckon and I don't think the average Kiwi appreciates the madness leading up to it and the hysteria on the day.
          I haven't read any footy books, including Dyers, although I've got Shane Crawfords one sitting there waiting to be read and you may have motivated me to do so. Good talking with you George.

Comment

Leroy,If I can find Dyers book Ill send it for a read, I know I can put my hand on Bob Roses book. it is great oz rules reading if youd like it.
            only one proviso ...theyre boomerangs.

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm Victor, I collect mostly Omegas and Seikos, but I occasionally dabble in others too. I first got into watches when my ex purchased me a Seiko Kinetic when I was 18, and now I own every single version of that watch haha. I was overseas until recently and I will start teaching math in a school in South Auckland soon. Hoping to be more active on this forum, as I have a lot to learn...

Comment

Welcome to the forum Victor.
                'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

Hi everyone, my names Pete from Hastings and have been known to have a few Cymas, and 174 others
                  'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

Some more new members on board.. welcome and how about introducing yourself if you haven't already done so..
                    Tony Lewis
                    New Zealand

Comment

Hello, I'm Brian, live in Auckland, from Scotland, as culturally necessary I replenish my health with whisky, play golf badly and enjoy boarding in the tropically warm waters here!

My old service CWC got me thinking about watches a couple of years ago, rummaged the sock drawer for a few from earlier on and started a humble collection. I just can't get enough of the good vibes and amazing knowledge on this forum

Comment

Welcome Mate - good to see you come forward. Enjoy!
                        None of us are as smart as all of us.

Comment

Hello, I'm Brian, live in Auckland, from Scotland, as culturally necessary I replenish my health with whisky, play golf badly and enjoy boarding in the tropically warm waters here!

My old service CWC got me thinking about watches a couple of years ago, rummaged the sock drawer for a few from earlier on and started a humble collection. I just can't get enough of the good vibes and amazing knowledge on this forum

Nice to see you here.. what branch of the military?
                          Tony Lewis
                          New Zealand

Comment

Nice to see you here.. what branch of the military?
                            A wee stint in the RAF! Yourself?

Comment

Hi
                              Marcus here, new member. Novice who simply enjoys watches. I have a Breitling Superocean (steel strap), an Omega Seamaster Chrono (Americas Cup edition) rubber strap, an Oris F1 (rubber strap), a Seiko Kinetic diver, and various other cheaper watches such as 2 x Magrette NZ watches (bought circa 2006). Looking to tap into some knowledge of people here to help me along the journey.
                              Not sure where to post this question but Im looking to get a watch winding box and would like to know a few options and where to get one? Ive been looking in the US but alot of variation in quality by the looks? Ive seen Pangea and wolf options, can anyone let me know their experiences and opinions?

Anyway nice to be here, look forward to being involved.

Cheers Marcus

Comment

Hi
                                Marcus here, new member. Novice who simply enjoys watches. I have a Breitling Superocean (steel strap), an Omega Seamaster Chrono (Americas Cup edition) rubber strap, an Oris F1 (rubber strap), a Seiko Kinetic diver, and various other cheaper watches such as 2 x Magrette NZ watches (bought circa 2006). Looking to tap into some knowledge of people here to help me along the journey.
                                Not sure where to post this question but Im looking to get a watch winding box and would like to know a few options and where to get one? Ive been looking in the US but alot of variation in quality by the looks? Ive seen Pangea and wolf options, can anyone let me know their experiences and opinions?

Anyway nice to be here, look forward to being involved.

Cheers Marcus

Welcome Marcus..

Post your question about watchwinders in the General forum..

Cheers

Tony
                                Tony Lewis
                                New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                                X