Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a new member in Wellington

Greetings all.

It's great to find this forum (obviously I'm a bit slow... : ). I used to read and post regularly to alt.horology back in the days of UseNet until the WWW completely took over and UseNet crumbled under the weight of pron, spam and technological advancement. Now I'm in need of some watch servicing but of the two local gents I used to use, one has passed away and the other has retired so I've joined Timekeeper to help me find someone who can perform this task and to enjoy the discussion of watches from a NZ perspective. At the moment I only have three mechanical watches; a lovely gold Omega Seamaster from the 1960s, a 7750-based Oris Chronograph (which is at the top of the list for servicing) and an amazingly thin IWC pocket watch which was a wedding present from my grandmother to my grandfather on their wedding day just after the end of WWI (my most prized possession).
    A young family and other hobbies have diluted my interest in watches to some extent but I've been keen on getting a non-rolex Sub-type divers watch for a while and did come close to getting a Stowa Prodiver at one point. However my interest in precision horology has never waned; the late George Daniels was (despite his flaws) a hero of mine and I spent my holiday last summer enjoying his autobiography, All in Good Time (despite the fact that the chance that I will ever own a Daniel's watch is about negative one million percent .
    When I'm not being "Daddy", I enjoy target shooting, brewing beer, making bacon, salami and other charcuterie, dabbling in electronics (mostly audio / Hi Fi stuff), roasting coffee to keep down the cost of running our espresso machine, and vainly attempt to keep middle-aged-spread at bay by going for runs into the hills behind where I live in the Western suburbs of Wellington a couple of times a week.

Cheers all,

F.D.

Welcome mate, aside from the obvious interests in horology I think your other interests will also be shared by most on here. I'm happy to hear about the guns, beers and cured meats. Anyways, welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome from the Kapiti Coast..
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

Welcome aboard F.D. Enjoy your time here :thumbup:
        Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Welcome FD, as Skody says, there is room for all of the above... and you can always rely on the kids to go shouting that daddy has a new watch when you trying to play a low profile with it [DIZZY FACE]

Comment

Welcome along. There is a thread around here somewhere for gun stuff, feel free to post pix of your toys. What disciplines do tou shoot?

Comment

Mmmmm Bacon, i know what im having for dinner tonight :thumbup:

and welcome
              “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
              Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Lol you're gonna fit in perfectly here :D

I enjoy target shooting, brewing beer, making bacon, salami and other charcuterie, dabbling in electronics (mostly audio / Hi Fi stuff), roasting coffee to keep down the cost of running our espresso machine - Fortitudo Dei
                Harlan
                Timekeeper Watch Club
                Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Welcome F.D. :thumbup:
                  None of us are as smart as all of us.

Comment

Welcome to the club from a fellow Wgtn watch addict

Comment

Welcome along. There is a thread around here somewhere for gun stuff, feel free to post pix of your toys. What disciplines do tou shoot?

Mostly ISSF pistol. Smallbore rifle never really grabbed me. I've tried full-bore target rifle a couple of times at Trentham and while I really enjoyed it and did quite well, shooting that discipline takes a huge hunk of time out of a Saturday with a very high sitting around vs shooting time ratio (i.e. about six hours to shoot 24 shots of .308 + travel time ). I enjoy sitting around and yacking as much as the next man but it sure eats into the time allocated for brewing beer...

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Did you say beer 8-)
                        'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

Working...
                        X