Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hi, my name is Brian and I have been lurking here for a little while so thought I should introduce myself.
    I have always had a fascination with time pieces, although I do not know much about them, but I think it was first aroused at a very young age when we used to visit my grand parents who had an Ansonia striking clock sitting high up on the mantlepiece. This clock had (has because I now have it) and is the thing I most remember about visiting the house as it was deathly quiet, broken only by the tick of the clock and has stuck in my head ever since.
    This clock must be over 100 years old now and the tick doesn't worry me at all but visitors have complained about it keeping them awake but I digress.
    I stumbled over this site while browsing the net as I enjoy watching the utube watch reviews and dreaming over what would be nice to have.
    Recently I saw some reviewer going over his collection, and very nice it was too, which set me thinking as to what I had tucked away and was a bit surprised to unearth 7 watches after ferreting through the drawers so decided that maybe I was a collector even if it was at the bottom of the scale.
    These ranged from a watch specially commissioned by a company I once worked for to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founder's birth to so called modern 'fashion' watches, 5 of these being quartz, as that was either what I was given or bought for convenience/cost considerations.
    My preference really is for mechanical watches as I just like the fact that they seem to be a bit more alive than a quartz, bit like a steam locomotive, rather than an electric.
    My oldest mechanical is a gold Donexy which I was given for my 21st birthday and I m a bit disappointed to say that at 50 years of age it keeps better time than my newest , a Seiko SARB033 which I bought after watching several enthuisastic reviews on utube making me wonder if the Japanese watches are a bit like their cars, they will get you there, but not in quite the style one would wish.
    Anyway, that's my intro

Cheers,

Brian

Welcome to the community Brian! Lots of good folk here who share your interest and passion. You sound like you've got quite a collection already...look forward to hearing about it more.

Live long and prosper.

Comment

Welcome aboard Brian I do like those steam locomotives... 4472 was my favorite!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Brian. :thumbup:
        'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

Working...
        X