Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiya All

Hi All

I am Volker, originating from Germany and now almost fully converted to Kiwi dom. I thought it is time to introduce myself. It took me quite a while not only because English is my second language but I felt that I couldn’t express myself as I actually wanted to. There was also live that happened while I was busy making other plans. I have read some really nice introductions and I think its just fair to let you know who I am since I’m planning to be more often here to learn a lot from you and to share the passion.

What is it that brought me here? I think it was Harlan many years ago who made me aware of this community. I always found the way he presents his watches on TM very refreshing and funny apart from having sometimes very desirable pieces on offer. And then, I suppose it’s how everyone else here feels who is part of this community, appreciation for the small mechanics in watches, the beauty of a daily worn accessory, addiction, their charm and aesthetics, admiration for the crafts of watchmaking, etc. The list could go on and on. Almost forgot that they keep you up to date with time at a reasonably accurate rate, depending on how much money you are willing to spend.

For me it is like a ritual to put my watch on for the day, giving it a subtle shake; -yes, time is right and it’s not fully unwound yet, so it will guide me through the day with ease. Looking at the face finding the indices, numbers and hands still as appealing as on the first day the piece found its way to me, feeling the soft smoothness of the strap with that distinct smell of animal hide, which positions itself perfectly on my wrist or that strong metallic strap that fastens with confidence yet knowing where to fold, securely. And even the silicone straps have their good part to play being robust almost indestructible not perceptive to the perspirations received during continuously ongoing board meetings and other conflicts messing with your life.

Anyway, where did I come from, ah yes, what is it that makes me tick in synchronism with my watches. My very first purchased watch, I will post pictures when I find it, was a Citizen with an automatic movement which didn’t lose a beat over the years I partnered with it. It was a beauty in my eyes. It now lost a lot of its beauty. Plenty of scratches to the crystal, dings and bumps to the housing are the witnesses of my time as active live saver many many moons ago and no photo-chopping [no spelling mistake] could hide that.
    But as I said, it never missed a beat and was reasonably accurate. It just had the unfortunate disadvantage to be a very close part of my life. This watch had the then typical Mercedes star as hour hand and was really nice to look at. It took me a while until I had saved enough money and went almost daily to the shop to ensure that it hadn’t been sold.

My passion for black faces, Chrono’s and Flieger Watches was initiated by an Eterna-Matic Airforce II, extremely accurate and a real workhorse followed by Eterna Kontiki Chrono, a few Sinn watches and a few others. The rest is history as the English men say……

My other interests are Photography and Electronics, LED Lighting Projects and anything that promises fun to be had.

So, that’s about me in a nutshell. Please kindly ignore my bad grammar, I’m still trying to squeeze German sayings into the English language without discovering my mistakes.

Have a great day, let every second count and hope to talk to you soon
    Volker
    Time keeps on slippin\', slippin\', slippin\' Into the future (Steve Miller Band)

Willkommen, Volker. Guten tag. Ich habe 1968 in Russelsheim gelebt.
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Comment

Hallo Toni, ich bin urspruenglich aus Berlin. Danke fuers Willkommen.
      Time keeps on slippin\', slippin\', slippin\' Into the future (Steve Miller Band)

Comment

Hi Volker, welcome aboard... don’t think I ever got past “zwei bier bitte” didn’t need much else either

Comment

Hi Bruce, thats good enough to start a friendship between guys.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Volker. I’m sure you will fit in well.
            'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

yes made my first bubu already, thanks forletting me know
              Have a great weekend. ops:

Comment

Welcome to the forum Volker. I too spent a fair bit of time in Germany, or West Germany as it was then, and like a lot of Brits abroad, was a bit lazy when it came to learning the language, and still have trouble with English. Great introduction :thumbup:
                Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Hi Captain, I don't blame you for not learning German. It's not easy and always so particular with word's longer than my arm. Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

yes made my first bubu already, thanks forletting me know
                    Have a great weekend. ops:

Not a bubu at all.. Nearly everyone here had no idea what WAYWOF meant.
                    'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

Volker, does your username have anything to do with gummi bearen?
                      Tony Lewis
                      New Zealand

Comment

Yes, it does. I loved to eat them back in Germany; apparently they are good for you too :D

Comment

Welcome Haribo. I am a junior member round here but still would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to you. I have moved on from Haribo bears and on to the spacemix but completely appreciate the classic nature of the bears.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

harlansmart commented

strap whore = Sarbie

Comment

Thank you for the welcome Sarbie, I'm still a youngster here too. The passion for watches breaks irregular out of the closet and need to be carfully observed and cared for.
                            Since Haribo Bears are a very rare species here in NZ, I had to adpt to rather local specialities. But you can't wipe out the memories from your youth.

Comment

Working...
                            X