Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Chch

Hi everyone,

New member here from Chch. I've had a fascination for watches for a good few decades now, I'm just starting to build my collection back up after letting go of a few I shouldn't have! Looking forward to getting to know some of you. Currently I have...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4724.jpg?ixlib=react-9.0.1&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=crop&ar=1%3A1&w=1246.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	61944
    DKNY NY-1003 (circa 1999)

Name:	SRPE03KingTurtle.jpg?ixlib=react-9.0.1&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=crop&ar=1%3A1&w=1246.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	61945
    Seiko SRPE03K "King Turtle'

Name:	S9B.jpg?ixlib=react-9.0.1&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=crop&ar=1%3A1&w=1246.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	61946
    Suunto 9 Baro in limited edition gold (I'm an ultrarunner so this is my 'tool watch')

I also have a gold 1977 Seiko 6309-8080 automatic in on my way to me, should have it sometime this week. Ngā mihi

Welcome to Timekeeper, Mini Forklift

I think that's the first King Turtle on our forum Your Suunto 9 Baro must be good for running--I find analogs are quicker to read when running than digital, especially in varying light condition. Looking forward to seeing the Seiko 6309 when it arrives. Good that you grabbed one, as too many 6309 Gent's watches of the 70s and 80s get their movements stolen to bring dead divers back to life.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
      Welcome to Timekeeper, Mini Forklift
      Hey Don, thanks. Nice to find a watch forum for kiwi's!

I think that's the first King Turtle on our forum
      I really like this watch, it's one of the new 2020 ones with the upgraded ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal. I think the waffle dial looks great, it's quickly become my daily wearer

Your Suunto 9 Baro must be good for running--I find analogs are quicker to read when running than digital, especially in varying light condition.
      I hear you - the screen on this one is good in any light conditions and really easy to read. It's a killer watch, and it's one I have settled on after trying all of the other ones out there. It has all the data I need and a 100+ hour battery life, so I can get away with a once a week charge. Plus IMHO it's a beautiful looking watch; this particular model came with a leather strap as well as the silicon one I use for training, a nice touch

Looking forward to seeing the Seiko 6309 when it arrives. Good that you grabbed one, as too many 6309 Gent's watches of the 70s and 80s get their movements stolen to bring dead divers back to life.
      I didn't know that, that's interesting to know. I'll post up a couple of photos when it arrives, it's a 'birth year' watch for me

Comment

Welcome to the jungle Mini Forklift, good to have you on board, lots on enablers here to keep you on ya toes,
        Wealth on information here on tap, so just ask and people are very helpful with their knowledge.
        Enjoy

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Welcome to the watch matrix Mini Forklift its a fantastic place to lose one's self looking forward to seeing a lot more of your king turtle around the forum

Comment

Chur chur chaps, thanks for the warm welcome. Keen to learn and I'm excited to build and hone my collection... whatever that may may end up looking like

Comment

Originally posted by Mini Forklift View Post
              I really like this watch, it's one of the new 2020 ones with the upgraded ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal. I think the waffle dial looks great, it's quickly become my daily wearer
              I can definitely see the appeal Seiko did a good job with upgrading what many would say an already near-perfect design that is the 6309 Reissue Prospex SRP. Waffle dial hasn't been used on a Seiko for some time, so a refreshing return, and Seiko has, by now, had a lot of experience with the ceramic bezel from their upper-end divers, so a horned skill and likely very durable.

I actually live 45 minutes' drive from Seiko Precision (Thailand), where all the 4R Series Automatic Divers, like your King Turtle, are manufactured. From here, Seiko exports them worldwide, including to Japan

On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• harlansmart
                harlansmart commented
                Editing a comment
                Don - can you go thru their rubbish bins each day, please - I need a capacitor for my 9T82 very badly !!

• Artemis12
                Artemis12 commented
                Editing a comment
                Omg Harlan, i was thinking the same thing, but didn't have the Cahoonas not so much about the parts, but then again, side business opportunity??!!

• Don
                Don commented
                Editing a comment
                Artemis12... Haha I don't think I'd be qualified for that, unfortunately. I am to Seiko what a graffiti artist would be to Disney Pixar.

Harlan... Your Kinetic Chronograph 9T82 was hand-assembled in Japan at The Shinshu Artisan Time Studio, Nagoya Prefecture. It was probably the only hand-built Kinetic movement at the Shinshu Studio, whose normal output are the 9F Series HAQ and SpringDrive calibers. So, probably not a good plan to camp out here for one, sorry.

Oh wow, what a cool place to live close to! Have you ever visited there, are the public able to get in to have a look around?

Comment

• Don
                Don commented
                Editing a comment
                No, I haven't, and going inside beyond the reception area would likely be off-limits to the public. Imagine, say, Fonterra's Te Rapa Dairy Plant, which would, once in a while be open to major media outlet, but one won't be able to visit as such. Fonterra's offshore manufacturing facility, like the closest one in Malaysia would have even more restricted access. This would be the same as ETA (Thailand), where The Swatch Group's ETA movements have been manufactured since 1980s, and currently the production base for ETA quartz modules.

Here's a Google street view of ETA (Thailand)... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Et....7912913?hl=en
                Last edited by Don; 23-09-20, 22:54.

Originally posted by pedro44 View Post
              Welcome to the jungle Mini Forklift, good to have you on board
              +1 what he said

Welcome dude - really like the dial on the King Turtle too

Harlan
              Timekeeper Watch Club
              New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Welcome to TKNZ. Looking forward to seeing your 6309 when you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by harlansmart View Post

+1 what he said

Welcome dude - really like the dial on the King Turtle too
                  Thanks, it's a cool dial. Photos just don't do that watch justice

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                    Should be with me tomorrow. Was meant to be today but as of this afternoon it was still in East Tamaki lol. Will post some photos up when I have it

Comment

Originally posted by pedro44 View Post
                      Welcome to the jungle Mini Forklift, good to have you on board, lots of enablers here
                      That's what I need, kinda negates the wife

Comment

It's funny, the DKNY is one of my favourites despite it probably being worth hardly anything. I worked on the QE2 cruise liner and we were the only liner at the time that was doing transatlantic crossings, we sailed Southampton-New York numerous times each year. I remember thinking that buying a DKNY watch would be a nice way to remember those years, I've now had it for over 20 years and it has a ton of sentimental value. I worked onboard for around 5 years and that's where I met my wife, we got married in 2004 and we now have a couple of beautiful daughters

Name:	aFitzWHl.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	62046
                        My 'future wife'. This photo was taken back in 2000, a couple of weeks after I met her

A couple of years ago I took it in to get a new strap, getting back into my car it must have somehow fallen onto the ground and I didn't realise that I didn't have it until I got home. I frantically drove back to where I had parked and it was still lying in the spot where I had dropped it, talk about lucky. It's also ridiculously accurate, it gains around 4-5 seconds over the course of a year

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                          Turned up this morning

Name:	AZGiCthl.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	62048

I think it quite suits the spare strap I had waiting for it. It's running a bit fast so I might take it in somewhere for a service and see if that makes a difference, other than that I'm pretty happy with it as a birth year watch (1977)

Comment

Working...
                          X