Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Akl

Hi all,

A new member here from Auckland. I've been lurking for a few months, and thought it was about time to say hello.

I didn't wear a watch for decades, but clearing out my dear old Mum's house I found the Seiko watch she bought me 40 years ago. It is serviced, running and worn regularly now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201112_153844.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	63257

My mother in law from the US sent me a vintage Elgin Sportsman from the 60s. It has a susiciously clean dial, but I love the look. I like to think they were something like the G-Shock of their day.

Name:	IMG_20201112_153934.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	63256

I wear a couple of G-Shocks, including an original DW-5600. I found that in a parking lot in the States back in the 90's, but the poor beast has largely succumbed to resin-rot over time.

Name:	IMG_20201112_160209.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	63258

I break out a Magrette Pacific Waterman on ocassion and I'm hopeful Santa and my wife are conspiring to bring me a Vostok Amphibia for Xmas. I'm trying to learn a bit more about a CDEC (Citizen?) I scored from a local OpShop and I'm trying to resist messing with the dial of a vintage Cyma...

I'm enjoying (and astounded) learning about the little mechanical marvels that we wear on our wrists.

Cheers,
    Slade.

Welcome to the forum, good to have you here! A nice selection you posted above, the Seiko and the Elgin are both very nice.

There are plenty of Vostok fans on this forum (myself included) so you're in good company if that Christmas conspiracy pans out for you! One of our members made this post some time ago that is an interesting read if you are new to Vostok Amphibias - I found it helpful back when I had just joined.

There will be the usual "What Are You Wearing On Friday" (WAYWOF) thread tomorrow that all the active members normally post in, it's kind of an end-of-the-week chit chat and catch up between all who post there - so feel free to join in! Look forward to seeing more posts from you, welcome again.

G

Comment

Hi Gauss,

Thanks for pointing out that Vostok post. It was very informative! I'm quite taken by the Amphibia. I love the brutal simplicity of it all and I can't wait for Xmas.

I'll have a go at the WAYWOF thread. I've recently started enjoying wearing the different watches depending on the day.

Slade.

Comment

Welcome Slade,

So that SEIKO SUPERQUARTZ, was that gifted to you when you were a wee squirt by Mommy, that's a special watch

Good on you for loading up the Patek, dunno where myonlyrolex is, maybe he's only into rollies now

Anyway, like Gauss says, there's plenty of ruskies here, almost tempted myself at times haha

Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club
        New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Hi Harlan,

I got that Seiko when I was 10 or 11 during the first family trip to Oz (back in the day when that was a BIG thing) . I somehow broken the watch-band and my Mum squirrelled it away and I didn't see it again for 40 years until I was cleaning her house out. There it was broken bracelet and all... Being hidden was the only thing that saved it. Now I'm looking forward to eventually giving it to one of my kids.

I love a watch (or an antique) with a bit of a story. I 'm chuffed by the fact that my oak writing desk was carried home by its former owners tied to his back as he bicycled through the streets of Chch 40 odd years ago.

Slade.

Comment

Originally posted by sladew View Post
            Hi all,

A new member here from Auckland. I've been lurking for a few months, and thought it was about time to say hello.
            Great to see that we have a new member Welcome, Slade, to TKNZ.

You seem to have a wide scope of interest when it comes to watches, and that's really great. There's wealth of information on our forum, and it's as easy as using the Search box at the top of the page. You'll find that, if it tells time, our members will have discussed it at some point in the past. Thank you for sharing with us the watches that frequently accompany you, and we look forward to seeing others that you have.

Name:	IMG_20201112_153844.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	63257
            If this Seiko is 40+ years old, then you definitely owned watches before I ever did! During the early-1980s, this would have been a very nice gent's watch too. It was a product of era when quartz was king--the best timekeeping technology that was just becoming affordable to the mainstream buyers. Today, watch fans are often sold the idea that back-in-the-days "cheap quartz" killed mechanical watches. This is a false/misleading narrative, as "cheap quartz" did not exist until much later during the 80s and 90s.

The quality of your early-80s Seiko SQ is a notch above quartz watches of the 90s.

My mother in law from the US sent me a vintage Elgin Sportsman from the 60s. It has a susiciously clean dial, but I love the look. I like to think they were something like the G-Shock of their day.

Name:	IMG_20201112_153934.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	63256
            I agree that this one is from the 60s, perhaps early-60s, so in the twilight years of the original Elgin National Watch Co. of Illinois. Inside could be an A Schild movement, and if so, a good quality caliber. With regards to the well-preserved condition, I would not be surprised if this was either a New Old Stock, or one sold after the dissolution of Elgin. If it were first sold in the 1970s, then quite possible that it was soon abandoned by the owner in favour of quartz that was the rage at the time.

I also agree with your comment about these being the G-Shock, i.e. sports watches, of their day. Though, I think Elgin's selling point was more on "stylish and sporty", rather than overtly being a "tough watch".

Name:	IMG_20201112_160209.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	63258
            You've obviously rescued this one, and given it a new housing. Is your DW-5600 a screw back?

...I'm trying to learn a bit more about a CDEC (Citizen?) I scored from a local OpShop...
            I'm not familiar with CDEC... Have heard of ADEC though
            On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Hi Don,

You're right about the ADEC watch (not CDEC, I mistyped). It's marked as WR100 and has a screw down crown. I posted a picture of it in the waywof post.

I think my old Seiko was either 1980 or more likely 1979. With the history you provided I even happier I had it serviced and resized to wear

I'm thinking the Elgin could be a Franken watch… my wife comes from a family of jewellers, and there's some removed chrome on both sides of the case back. My mother -in-law op shops, so she might've parts-ed a watch back into working order. When I get a proper case back removal wrench then I'll check the movement. I like the look and the age regardless.

Yes that old G-Shock has a screw back case. Unfortunately I last the, strap to resin-rot tears ago. Replaced it off eBay from a guy in Brazil. Last year I lost the bezel and alixpresssed some replacements. It's turning into a real ship of Theseus

Thanks for the info. In really enjoying learning about the watches. When I was lurking that was what impressed me about the forum. Like your sig and couldn't agree more.

Slade.

Comment

Welcome to TKNZ Slade. They are some cool old watches you have there. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

Comment

Thanks Leroy.

Comment

We sport an August 1985 Suwa-Seikosha H558-5000 'ARNIE Digi-Ano #3074

I remember whether a SEIKO is made at the SUWA or DAINI factories like this.. the SUWA logo looks like a cyclone with an epicenter.

SEIKO ARNIE was the personal favourite model of our member tigermantis, he also wore his on the same exact strap, thin material, flat hardware.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7310.jpg Views:	3 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	63347
                    Harlan
                    Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Harlan,

I love that beaten up blue bezel!

Slade.

Comment

OMG - having a mare today... that post, should be in WAYWOF.. ohh well, doesn't seem like you mind to much lol

All good Sir, will leave it, actually, it's a recent acquisition, been sort of looking for another one for about 3 years or so, they are just not common anymore.

Bit like your SEIKO SQ that Mumsy looked after, we enjoy the fact you realise that she saved it from being likely trashed in a sand-square or play-ground

Thanks Mom

10/10

Harlan,

I love that beaten up blue bezel!

Slade.
                        Harlan
                        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Hi Don,

You're right about the ADEC watch (not CDEC, I mistyped). It's marked as WR100 and has a screw down crown. I posted a picture of it in the waywof post.
                          Cheers, Slade. ADEC was a brand owned by Citizen during the 1980s, possibly 90s as well, but now discontinued. They used Citizen Miyota quartz movements, so should be solid and reliable. As far as know, were not available in all markets, but certainly in the US, UK, Europe, and Australia. Not sure about New Zealand.

During the 80s and 90s, Citizen maintained the same market position as they do now, i.e. Quality Range (Non-Luxury), and their main strength has been very good to excellent quality at a reasonable price. ADEC would have served as Citizen's Budget Range brand, where the main strength would be price, and I would imagine their main competitors to be Timex and Casio--though modern Casio have moved into the Value Range.

Yes that old G-Shock has a screw back case. Unfortunately I last the, strap to resin-rot tears ago...
                          Quite common with G-Shock of this age. Still, screw backs are desirable and will become increasingly so as the G-Shock line rises in status. I've written extensively on screw backs... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...e-g-screw-back
                          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Hi Don,

Thanks. That was an awesome post on G-Shocks!

My 5600 was a lucky find, lying forgotten in a dark, parking lot in Michigan in 1995. I can just imagine it sliding off a dash or a car roof late that night. That G-Shock was my regular beater for almost 15 years.

I still remember the horror when the original strap basically crumbled in my hands. That was when I discovered what resin-rot was, but I managed to find somebody from eBay in Brazil who sold replacements. Then horror again, just last year when the, resin bezel just crumbled away too. Fortunately, aliexpress has oddles of replacement bezels and bracelets now and I snagged a couple in black and silver.

Right now the original screw back metal case and innards are all that's left of the original watch. I have 4 other G-Shocks but that original lucky find is still my fave!

Slade.

Comment

Hey, nice to read through your thread. So cool that you found the watch that your Mum bought you all those years ago, and even cooler that it's now running and you wear it. That is special

Comment

Working...
                              X