No announcement yet.

The post apocalypse big bag of bollocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to hear the South has looked after the bbb so well, looking forward to a few pics tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by woodstock View Post
      1. Does anyone need the Altimeter... has anyone bags'd this yet, coz I really want it ?

2. Suggestion: Use Trademe-BAC aka 'Trademe Book A Courier' to send the mighty post apocalypse big bag of bollocks. Use CourierPost.
      I've put it aside. I'll send you a PM and grab your address so that I can send the Silva your way.

Comment

Righto. Time for an update on the P.A.B.B.B. I opened it when it arrived, but haven't had a chance to really go through it properly until today. The first thing I gotta say is - you guys are hilarious. Sending all the old bags inside is pretty funny. It's actually a cool idea to see where it's been, but as it added so much bulk to the package I've taken action. I didn't want to totally end the tradition though so I've cut out all the address boxes on the bags and will include them with the package when it moves on. As you can see from this photo there was a LOT of packaging -

Click image for larger version  Name:	BBB01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.3 KB ID:	61262

It's been cool to look through everything, and interestingly it's quite different to the last time we did this. Overall the quality of what's in this lot is better than last time and the packaging is definitely better. Last time from memory pretty much everything was just chucked in one big bag. Not sure what that says, maybe it's just an indication that many more of us have been burned by rough couriers over the last 10 years.

I haven't kept exact track of what I've taken out and what I've added but here's the basics:

Taken
        • The Franken-Vostok. It's cool, working well and I like it enough to give it a go for a bit.
        • Two of the non-working watches - the Swatch and the Citizen auto. Hopefully the Swatch just needs a battery so I've ordered one. The Citizen looks to be running ok, but has a broken crown stem. I'll take it to the watch maker and see if it can be fixed easily. I'm sure it will be able to. I probably won't keep both of them so if and when they're running again and I'll post them up here for suggestions such as sell or pay forward.
        • Three NATO straps
        • A couple of leather straps.
        • A couple of bracelets.
        • Some basic tools.
        Added
        • Two working watches.
        • A 'parts only' Pulsar watch.
        • A couple of rubber straps.
        • Three or four NATOS and Zulus.
        • Four or five Velcro and nylon straps.
        • Three or four leather straps.
        • A couple of bracelets.
        • A couple of other bits and pieces.
        I've also fixed up a couple of the bracelets that were in there that were in pieces. Here's some photos of where we're at:

BEFORE-

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6749.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	61264

AFTER -

Click image for larger version  Name:	BBB03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.9 KB ID:	61263

I'll get it ready to move on again over the weekend. I see that Andy is keen for a second look and I'd suggest everyone else consider it as well. There's a really good selection of straps and bracelets in here now especially. So if there's something that you think you'd like a new strap for then you just might find it in here. Don't be shy about taking things either. I noticed in the thread so far that a couple of people only added stuff and a couple almost begged forgiveness for taking things. The whole reason this is being done is so that we can pool our resources and give members the opportunity to grab something without having to go looking for it or buy it.
        It will undoubtedly reach a natural conclusion at some point. Based on how it looks now I think it would be in a good state to be able to put a fair bit of it up for sale to help raise funds to put towards the running costs of TKNZ. I support that idea if everyone else is keen as well.

Here's a couple more pics of something I found for myself:

A nylon-velcro strap that is exactly the sort of strap I want for my Stefan Johannson. It's similar to a GGB strap, but not quite the same quality so I don't think it's an actual GGB (unless it's a really old one). I'm not sure that the kahki-green really works with it, but the dark brown is ok. If anyone recognises this strap can you please let me know where you got it from. I'd love to see if I can get one in a different colour that would suit this watch better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SJ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	61267
        Click image for larger version  Name:	SJ01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	61266
        Last edited by LeroyC; 28-08-20, 12:21.

Comment

• harlansmart
          harlansmart commented
          Editing a comment
          'Don't be shy about taking things either.' - LeroyC

Don't worry, I won't muhahahahahaha

Great post and pics LeroyC have a great

Comment

I finished picking through the bollocks bag a couple of days ago and it's all sitting there ready to pass along. Looks like it's going to Pedro44 next for the start of Round 2 so I'll drop him a line and catch up with him at some stage in the next week to hand it over. I think I've decided to keep the Swatch, but put the Vostok back in the bag. So there'll be a nice little Russian watch in there for anyone that's keen.

The Swatch has come up really nice. It was already in pretty good nick, but the crystal was a little scratched and the strap was just about dead. The crystal is acrylic so I was able to polish it up a couple of days ago and it's come up looking great. Unfortunately the strap broke straight afterwards, but I found a black silicone strap in the bollocks that I was able to cut to fit the Swatch and get it back on the wrist. It's a pretty good fit actually, but I have one coming in the mail as well and I've also spotted a genuine replacement on eBay that I may grab at some point. Anyway, it's looking good for now and is back on the wrist so thanks to whoever threw it in there. I had a Swatch in the 80s as my first proper watch when I was a kid and haven't had one since so it's a nice little momento in a way. Here's a couple of pics after the tidy up:

Name:	Swatch02.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	61423

Name:	Swatch05.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	61422

Name:	Swatch06.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	61421

Comment

Just a quick update folks. I'm catching up with Pedro next Tuesday to pass the big bag on to him.

Comment

Bag has landed, good to catch up with Leroy again.
              Have gone through it and taken photos of everything and taken a few small strap items for myself. Will upload pics on Friday and get it repacked for next person

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Ok back is packed and ready to go,
                Pics of whats in it

Brilliant little watch
                Squeezed a 20mm velcro on it and it gave me a whole new appreciation
                of these Russian watches

Name:	20200911_203105.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	61672
                Casio

Name:	20200908_152555.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	61673
                Womans Pulsar

Name:	20200908_152637.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	61674
                Seiko auto.
                The marks on the lens looks like paint and should come off with some polish,
                Never had time to do it.

Name:	20200908_152747.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	61675
                looks like a seiko perpetual calendar case

Name:	20200908_152907.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	61676

More pics to follow

Comment

more
                  Nylons 18mm to 22mm

Name:	20200908_153155.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	61678
                  Rubber 18mm to 24mm

Name:	20200908_153250.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	61679
                  Natos
                  20mm to 22mm

Name:	20200908_153824.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	61680
                  Leather 16mm to 24mm
                  +buckles various

Name:	20200908_153632.jpg
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	61681

Name:	20200908_153024.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	61682

more pics to come

Comment

more
                    Pulsar and russian vintage

Name:	20200908_153517.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	61684
                    Citizen bracelet complete with both lug links

Name:	20200908_154058.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	61685
                    Tools

Name:	20200908_154252.jpg
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	61686
                    Clasps

Name:	20200908_154150.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	61687
                    Bracelets

Name:	20200908_153948.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	61688

Comment

Round 2

Pedro44
                      andrewing

???

Comment

Bag is off to Andrewing in the Mighty Hawks Bay
                        All 1.84kg of it

Comment

• harlansmart
                          harlansmart commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Awesome stuff everyone, such a really good idea frankly, top work everyone.

11/10

Does this thread want to be in the General Section?

And does anyone maybe have any ideas on streamlining a few sections, removing some i.e. like joining some together etc
                        Harlan
                        Timekeeper Watch Club
                        New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Originally posted by harlansmart View Post
                          Does this thread want to be in the General Section?

And does anyone maybe have any ideas on streamlining a few sections, removing some i.e. like joining some together etc
                          I think the Big Bag has turned into more of a communal forum event as opposed to a marketplace thread - General is probably a good place for it to live and get some exposure there.

As for the rest of the forum I think that there are a few subforums that could be merged. I'm not sure of the what the most effective way to do that would be though, so some other opinions would be cool. I feel like a lot of the things that are posted into some of the less active subforums could be just as valid being posted in General given their subject matter the size of the active user base, but I understand that having the separate subforums can make it easier to navigate through more relevant threads rather than searching through General for a long time to find them.

OTHER - Rest of World in the Watch Forums section has never been posted in so can probably be removed, just my 2c.

G

Comment

Thats what I was thinking... I made a post about a USA brand of watch today, ARAGON, and wondered if it should go it 'Rest of World' and noted that 'Rest of World' had zero posts so... yeah I started to wonder.. and I stuck it in general.

Agreed Gauss, lets get some more FB from others and decide what to do end of month.

Thanking all of you all always.
                            Harlan
                            Timekeeper Watch Club
                            New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Working...
                            X