Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOR SALE: Seiko 0922-8000 Quartz QZ (May 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR SALE: Seiko 0922-8000 Quartz QZ (May 1975)

This is a Seiko Quartz QZ 0922-8000, manufactured by Seiko Suwa in May 1975. This watch is responsible for my personal deep dive into what Seiko was doing with their new quartz technology in the 1970s and the value that it offers to a present day wearer, you can read my in-depth overview of the series of references that this watch was a part of at this link: Seiko Q-Series of the 1970s.

With the way that perceptions of quartz have changed over time, this means that very well made vintage pieces are often overlooked and well-priced, and although it was entry level at the time this QZ is no exception. The angled case surfaces and curved lugs reflect light nicely, the dial has a wealth of applied metal details, and the silver sunburst dial allows for pairing with any kind and colour of strap.

** watch will ship on the grey leather strap pictured in the first images **

1975 catalogue entry for this reference:

TKNZ GRADING: Very Good 83-86% all original, evidence of careful but regular wear, needs no service except possible regulation – no major dings or scratches.
    CASE: all stainless steel
    CASE SIZE: 35mm
    LUG-TO-LUG: 40mm
    LUG WIDTH: 18mm
    CRYSTAL: mineral crystal
    MOVEMENT: 0922 (Suwa), 2-jewel quartz with quickset date, hacking seconds. I believe this module gets 2 years from a battery.

Cosmetic issues: light patina over most of the dial, I have tried to capture this in the photos. Chapter ring/rehaute shows some wear between 10 and 11.

I recently acquired a Grand Quartz from the same era as this QZ so I am looking to move this one on. My interest in vintage Seiko quartz in general all started with the QZ though and for good reason when you consider the technical and cosmetic treatment Seiko was giving to quartz in the 1970s. As a quartz you will not really need to worry about daily variation in the timing - the 0922 movement in this Seiko QZ was originally rated to +/- 15 seconds a month and I have not noticed any deviation outside of this rating while I have owned it.

I mention in my write-up that I only had to pay around $140 for this watch, and that is all I am looking for on this sale. I will ship for free via a tracked post bag, if you’d prefer a signature-required courier please add $5 for postage.

Will leave it up here for a week or so before it’s off to TM, if you have any questions or are interested please PM me.

$140
Working...
X