[SOLD]: SEIKO ALBA “AQUA GEAR Kinetic” Scuba 200m Diver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLD]: SEIKO ALBA “AQUA GEAR Kinetic” Scuba 200m Diver

In 1979, Seiko Watch Corporation, already in their 98th year since founding, embarked on a journey to increase their appeal among the younger audience. Seiko's vehicle of choice was to use Seiko’s own family of movements, but encased in more modern styling, and all packaged under a new sub-brand, ALBA. For nearly four decades, ALBA has catered primarily to young buyers in the Japanese domestic market, as well as other major centers of Asia. Often times, their bold unconventional design would also draw traditional watch collectors, and in particular, enthusiasts of dive watches in ALBA’s “Aqua Gear” line.

Following the global success of the Seiko Automatic Diver’s 200m SKX779 “Black Monster”, introduced internationally in 2004, ALBA released what amounted to their answer to the Seiko SKX779. Debuted in 2008, the ALBA “AQUA GEAR Kinetic” Scuba 200m is an ISO-compliant Air Diver—just like the Seiko Monster—but also benefits from quartz accuracy of Seiko’s in-house Kinetic movement. Compared to the Monster, the Aqua Gear Scuba’s case is larger, being 45 mm in diameter with a thickness of 14 mm. Build quality is on par with that of the cult Seiko, i.e. very good.

What makes the Aqua Gear special is the unique shape of the head, reminiscent of a few 1970s Seiko Chronographs, the shape of which the Japanese saw as an “inverted dish” (Tokei Zara) or a “sea barnacle”, while Westerners tend to see as a “helmet” or a “volcano”. Apart from the obvious wrist presence, this ALBA fans have put this Scuba 200m on their favourite list due to its rarity—not only was it a Japan Domestic Market (JDM) only model, but production only lasted for one year (2008-2009), making this diver very rare to come by today, even in Japan.

SPECIFICATIONS

MOVEMENT: Seiko ALBA Kinetic Cal YT57, Power reserve on full-charge of 6 months
    CASE: Stainless steel (diameter: 45 mm excl. crown, thickness: 14 mm, lug-width: 22 mm), Unidirectional elapse time bezel, Screw-in case back, Screw-down crown
    DIAL: Black, Luminous indice and hands
    BRACELET: Stainless steel, solid outer-links, with security clasp (full-size, fits wrists of up to 20.5 cm)
    WATER RESISTANCE: 200m, ISO-compliant
    MANUFACTURED: November, 2009

This JDM Aqua Gear Kinetic was purchased from its first owner in Japan earlier this year. The piece arrived to me sparingly worn, obviously well taken care of, as can be seen from the accompanying photos, taken just a few days ago. Overall, the condition rates TKNZ “NEAR-MINT” (95%), with all functions operating as they should. I will include a soft copy of the ALBA Kinetic Instruction Booklet for your reference.

If you have not owned a Seiko Kinetic, please note that Seiko/ALBA’s recommendation for charging the Kinetic Electricity Storage Unit (ESU) is to swing the watch to the point which at least a day’s power reserve is reached, i.e. 200-250 swings from low level energy, before setting the time. Through continuous wear, the ESU will eventually be fully-charge, giving a power reserve of 6 months.

The Scuba and I are located in Auckland, and plenty of references are available both here and on TradeMe. My asking price includes nationwide delivery by CourierPost Signature-Required. To inquire, please use the forum’s Private Message facility.

Thank you for looking.

398.-
    Last edited by Don; 31-07-18, 03:43.
    A watch journey that also serves the betterment of others is one worth taking.

Now SOLD. Thank you, TKNZ, for hosting this post.
    A watch journey that also serves the betterment of others is one worth taking.

Comment

Working...
    X