Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WITHDRAWN]: 1969 OMEGA “CONSTELLATION Chronometer” Automatic Cal. 751 (MID-500 Series) ***Fully Serviced***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [WITHDRAWN]: 1969 OMEGA “CONSTELLATION Chronometer” Automatic Cal. 751 (MID-500 Series) ***Fully Serviced***

Recognized by their Observatory Medallion designed to commemorate OMEGA’s numerous triumphs in chronometer competitions, the OMEGA Constellation Chronometers of the 1960s are among the most collectible of vintage watches. They are an embodiment of quality and style from a time when mechanical watch making technology reached its high point. OMEGA Constellations of this era, and in particular, the Mid-500 Series, have attracted renewed interest and devotees among collectors in the modern Mechanical Renaissance. They have done so through their engineering, beauty, functionality and great pedigree.

The OMEGA Mid-500 Series of in-house automatic self-winding movements manufactured from the early-1960s to early-1970s are the epitome of precision from a time when OMEGA movements were renowned for innovation and enjoyed a status equivalent to Rolex. Indeed, the Mid-500 calibers were among the finest production calibers ever produced by the OMEGA. The Automatic Cal 751, 24 jewels, was the final iteration of the Mid-500 Series, and the last of the great high-value production movements OMEGA produced prior to the Swiss watch industry crisis of the 1970s. The last of the lineage, the 751’s production spanned three years, from 1967 to 1970.

Equipped with the Cal 751, the Constellation Automatic Chronometer Ref. 168.029 on offer today was produced in 1969, and represents the 3rd series of Constellation movements. Being a Certified Chronometer, it was factory adjusted to five positions and temperatures. In 1969, the Swiss chronometer standards were administered by the Bureaux officiels de contrôle de la marche des montres (B.O.), whose specified accuracy standard was a mean daily rate within -1/+10 sec. The 168.029 features the popular “C” style cushion case, specifically referred to by Constellation collectors as the Knurled Bezel C Case.

The knurled bezel has always enjoyed a following among Connie enthusiasts, and the chunky tonneau C case make these chronometers wear much larger than their diameter suggests. The 168.029 was offered in a few different variants of dial finish, the most desirable of which would have to be the particular textured dial on this specimen. An mechanical engraving machine was used to create the cross-hatching on dial surface, and this creates a silvery silk-like effect, similar to a linen dial, but more reflective. Collectors refer to this as a silky guilloche dial, and the way the dial reflects and catches the light is mesmerizing.

BELOW: Reference 168.029 as referenced in OMEGA’s Vintage Watch Database

SPECIFICATIONS

MOVEMENT: OMEGA Automatic Cal 751 “Certified Chronometer”, 24 Jewels, 19’800 A/hr, Day, QuickSet Date, “Swan-neck” micro-regulator, Auxiliary manual-winding, Power reserve of 50 hrs, Adjusted 5 positions and temperature
    CASE: Stainless steel (diameter: 35 mm excl. crown, lug-width: 19 mm), Screw-in back
    DIAL: Silver silky guilloche with hand-riveted hour markers
    CRYSTAL: Armored Hesalite
    WATER RESISTANCE: 30 m (by specs only, not pressure-tested)
    SWISS MADE, 1969 (Serial# 29xxxxxx)
    STRAPS: Replacement – Genuine crocodile with calf leather backing in dark brown, Stainless steel buckle

At 51 years old, this vintage Constellation Automatic is ALL ORIGINAL, apart from the inevitable replacement straps. Overall, the piece rates an incredible TKNZ “NEAR-MINT” (92%), with only signs of careful use over the last five decades. The case retains its original lines, never machine-polished, while dial and hands are in complete original condition, never refinished or repainted. The case back exhibit the correct brickwork-style observatory medallion for this Reference.

Inside the case, the Cal 751 is a prime example of how a genuine authentic Mid-500 Series Constellation Chronometer should be. Every bridge stamping is correct, Serial number is consistent with the production period of the model, and all movement components display the same tone of pinkish copper, unlike those found in Franken-Connies that populate the used market. My watchmaker completed a full service overhaul of the movement just four months ago, in October 2019. The Cal 751 functions as it should, running an average of +9 sec/day, so accurate to within the Swiss B.O. Chronometer standard of 1969.

Power reserve on full wind is a healthy 46 hours.

This OMEGA is currently fitted with a set of genuine crocodile straps, hand-sewn from farmed crocodile right here in Thailand. These straps have genuine calf leather backing for comfort. They are used, but in excellent condition, and have been sanitized and washed, ready for the new owner. The accompanying photos form a part of my description—please study them carefully.

For price reference point, please see a completed TradeMe listing for a slightly different Reference Constellation Chronometer 751, which ended on January 16th (Listing #: 2484355784). Here’s a screenshot:

See... https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2484355784

The watch and I are in Bangkok, Thailand, and plenty of references can be found on Timekeeper, and on TM (https://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Fe...2636310&type=s). The asking price is in NZD, and includes international shipping to New Zealand by EMS International, operated by our postal services, with Track&Trace through both Thailand Post and NZPost online tracking. The transit time is approximately 5-6 business days.

Payment can be made to my New Zealand bank account (ANZ). I can also accept credit card payment through PayPal, regardless of whether you have a PayPal account, and I will absorb the fees. For all inquiries, please use TKNZ’s Private Message (PM) facility. If you have any questions at all regarding the OMEGA, please do contact me, and I’ll be more than happy to answer.

Likewise, if you have queries relating to Customs and import tax/duties, please get in touch also. Thank you for looking.
    [WITHDRAWN].-
    Last edited by Don; 16-03-20, 15:41.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

All the best with the sale Don, a great example of a piece from Omega's heyday near the mid-20th century.

I feel like I recognise the TM seller just by the pictures. That guy seems to have a near-limitless supply of mint or near-mint Omegas coming up for sale quite often. In your opinion do they check out?

G

Comment

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Gauss. I have had no dealings with the TradeMe member clau29, and that includes on Q&A, whether on his or my past TM listings. So, I can only see what you see. The seller seems to invest effort into his auctions, and so far, I have no problem with the manner he presents the items--that's all I can comment on

My mate bought the vintage seamaster from him last week. Arrived next day, I haven't seen it yet. Will report when I get to see it, albeit through my untrained eye.
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

PRICE REDUCTION! Now just [WITHDRAW].- shipped to your door by EMS
      Last edited by Don; 16-03-20, 15:42.
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Those who have been looking at these Constellation 168.029 Knurled Bezel C Case on the market will know that a serviced authentic original, in a near-mint condition like this specimen, would easily sell at 30% over my asking price. They routinely do just that on TradeMe and eBay. In spite of this fact, I love Timekeeper, and would dearly like this piece to stay on our forum. So, to make this already-attractive Constellation even more compelling to own, price is further reduced, delivered to your door by EMS.

Please note that this is the final reduction. Thank you.

[WITHDRAWN]
        Last edited by Don; 16-03-20, 15:42.

Comment

This Seamaster Cosmic Cal. 752 sold a few days ago on TradeMe... https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...9150&archive=1

Thought someone here would like a serviced Constellation Chronometer for less?

Comment

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            Just no answers for unfathomable stuff like this except maybe,

'Common sense, the least used sense by humans'  perhaps ​​​​​​..

This is a lovely piece, and as intimated in a previous post of mine, been keen on a vintage Omega for a while (preferably a '67), just not the right time for me at the moment, or I'd have jumped at this.
          If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

Originally posted by sjb View Post
            This is a lovely piece, and as intimated in a previous post of mine, been keen on a vintage Omega for a while (preferably a '67), just not the right time for me at the moment, or I'd have jumped at this.
            I really appreciate that, sbj ...and a shame (for me) that this piece is not catching you at the right time. At a later stage, when you are in the market for your vintage Omega, I recommend adding Mid-500 Constellations to your hunt list. Sure, an authentic original specimen has never been cheap, but what makes them very sensible acquisitions is that their market value has always remained stable. They rise in value at a slow and steady rate, compared to their direct competitor during the 1970s, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Cal 1570 (e.g. Ref. 1600/1601).

In my view, the market value of vintage Rolex is heavily dependent on the state of the economy, the same with the rapid rise in value of vintage Seiko divers and chronographs. And you know I'm saying this despite being a big advocate of Seiko. Both vintage Rolex and Seiko consistently attract new-found disposable incomes like there's no tomorrow. When the economy does turn, the Mid-500 Connies will ride the tides better than both Rolex and Seiko, and therefore, a more solid investment, provided of course you obtain a genuine example.

In the period of time we're living in now, an authentic Mid-500 Constellation is a great place to put one's money. It is, of course, even better to pick up an authentic and already-serviced Constellation 751 below the market going rates, which is exactly what this watch will hopefully be for someone here.

Comment

WITHDRAWN. The piece has been sold off the forum, and heading off to sunny California. Thank you, TKNZ, for allowing the opportunity, and all supportive responses from members above

Comment

Working...
              X