[SOLD]: SEIKO 6R15 Automatic DIVER’S 200m SBDC031 “Black Sumo”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLD]: SEIKO 6R15 Automatic DIVER’S 200m SBDC031 “Black Sumo”

Introduced in 2007, the original Prospex Automatic Diver’s 200m SBDC001 was the SEIKO that Japanese watch enthusiasts had eagerly anticipated for a very long time. Affectionately nicknamed “Black Sumo” by the watch community, the SBDC series was the first Diver to be equipped with the then-newly-released mid-range automatic calibre, 6R15. A superb architecture with just the right amount of complexity, the in-house 6R15 offers auxiliary hand winding, as well as the ability to stop the second hand for precise synchronization, i.e. hacking. Made in Japan, this mid-range Prospex was large and very well crafted compared to... just about anything in its price point and even beyond.

The SBDC001, as well as its 6R15 movement, were officially only available in the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM). Over the years that followed, the well-respected caliber powered many SEIKO JDM mid-range Prospex Air Divers—the Sumo and Shogun—6R15 Alpinist (2006-2018), and a number of Japan-only gents watches. During its early years, I remember how the SBDC Sumo was such a milestone SEIKO and how it changed so many people’s opinion of the brand. In the mind of many fans at the time, the Sumo was simply one of the most desirable of SEIKO 200m Divers.

Eight years after the SBDC001 debut, SEIKO made a revision of this popular model, now part of the 1st Generation Sumo, and redesignated the Black Sumo as the SBDC031. Inside is the 6R15C with 50 hours of power reserve. SEIKO discontinued the SBDC031 Black Sumo last year, which has pushed up the price for the units that remains in the hands of stockists and grey market vendors.

For me personally, I have a love affair with the SEIKO Black Sumo, from my very first one in 2009, just a couple of years after it unveiled onto the market. Over next 11 years, there were very short periods of intermissions when a Black Sumo was not sitting in my collection. In my view, SEIKO's long-standing fortes have been quality and value-for-money, and the SBDC Sumo hits that sweet spot between the two. Higher up from its price point, you get less value, while lower down from that mark, quality is compromised.

The Black Sumo represents, to quote our own Jake ‘jakem’...

...much of what is good about SEIKO Divers, distilled into one impressive watch.
    (WAYWOF 10.3.17)

Simply put, the SEIKO SBDC031 is half the watch the current Professional Automatic 300m SBDX023 “MM300” is... at 1/5th of the price new... That is value, and value has been one of the core essence that this Japanese Manufacture has come to be known for... On offer today is the second release of the SBDC Black Sumo Generation I, the Prospex Automatic Diver’s 200m SBDC031.
    SPECIFICATIONS

MOVEMENT: SEIKO Automatic Cal 6R15C, 23 Jewels, 21’600 A/hr, Auxiliary manual-winding, Hacking, Power reserve of 50 hours
    CASE: Stainless Steel (diameter: 45 mm w/o crown, lug-to-lug: 53 mm, thickness: 13 mm, lug-width: 20 mm), Uni-directional rotating elapse time bezel, Screw-in case back, Screw-down crown
    CRYSTAL: Hardlex, domed profile
    DIAL: Black dial, Date with LumiBrite indices and hands
    BRACELET: Solid stainless steel bracelet with triple fold safety clasp and wet-suit extension (all links included)
    WATER RESISTANCE: 200 m, ISO-compliant
    WEIGHT: 183 g
    MADE IN JAPAN

This SBDC031 has been my own personal watch since purchased new, just over three years ago while in New Zealand, in December 2016. The unit was bought from a SEIKO Authorized Dealer in Oita, Japan—the well-known Higuchi Inc. The AD box set, along with original warranty papers, stamped and dated, has been retained, so the new owner will receive the full set. During my ownership, this Black Sumo has been well cared for, and its current overall condition rates TKNZ “EXCELLENT” (89%), with minute signs of wear on the case, case back, and bracelet.

Bezel insert is free of scratch, and the case back has never been opened. The accompanying photos, taken recently, form a part of my description—please study them well. This SEIKO Diver functions as it should, with the 6R15C running strong, chronometer-accurate at +4 sec/day on average. Power reserve on full wind is approximately 48 hours, indicating good health.

For price comparison, the lowest on eBay currently for a new SBDC031 Black Sumo is from a Hong Kong-based seller, eBay item#: 162197771768. Shipping to New Zealand will automatically add GST for a total of approximately NZ$904. Please note, though, that this eBay item is grey market, unlike my Japan AD-sourced unit.

This Black Sumo and I are located in Bangkok, Thailand, and plenty of references can be found on Timekeeper, and on TM (https://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Fe...2636310&type=s). The asking price is in NZD, and includes international shipping to New Zealand by Registered Airmail, with Track&Trace through our postal services. The transit time is approximately 10 business days. Payment can be made to my New Zealand bank account (ANZ).

I can also accept credit card payment through PayPal, regardless of whether you have a PayPal account, and I will absorb the fees. For all inquiries, please use TKNZ’s Private Message (PM) facility. If you have any questions regarding the SEIKO, or queries relating to Customs and import tax/duties, please do contact me, and I’ll be more than happy to answer. Thank you for looking.

555.-
    Last edited by Don; 22-03-20, 17:01.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

OPTIONAL EXTRA: SEIKO “SILICONE Rubber” Dive Straps R028011J0 (20 mm)

A few weeks ago, a new Prospex Professional 300m Automatic SBDX023 / SLA021 “MM300” was added to my watch box, courtesy of a local SEIKO Authorized Dealer. Those who are familiar with an MM300 AD box set will be aware that the watch on bracelet comes with an additional set of SEIKO dive straps. Some people refer to them as “spare straps”, but since these are the only set of rubber in the box, I’m not sure if that’s the correct term.

I am a committed bracelet-if-possible person, and the stock SS on the SLA021 is completely fine, so will not be needing the silicone rubber dive straps that came with the MM300. The SEIKO parts number is R028011J0, and they are soft silicone rubber straps with quality stainless steel buckle and keepers—both signed. The 20mm straps are brand new, never fitted to, nor removed from, the watch, and in fact, when I took the plastic sleeve off these straps to take photos was the first time they have been touched. You can order a set of these SEIKO R028011J0 from overseas, but landed with tax, would set you back NZ$165 and up.

These MM300 dive straps will fit the Black Sumo perfectly. In fact, when SEIKO recently released the PROSPEX "BLACK SERIES Limited Edition" Automatic Diver's 200m SBDC095, they did just that. This ¥99,000 (NZ$1,490) LE’s straps, code R028011M0, differs only by its PVD buckle and keepers.

I can also picture how good they would wear on a Seiko Monster, or any of the Monster’s 20mm-lugs relatives. The accompanying photos were taken yesterday. If the buyer would like to add these MM300 straps to the SBDC031 Black Sumo, sent together, I am asking for a combined total of only 645.- In summary...

SBDC031 Black Sumo + Box & Papers... 555.-

...ADD unworn/unused SEIKO R028011J0 “MM300” silicone rubber diver straps... 645.-

Thank you!
    Last edited by Don; 08-03-20, 07:11.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Price lowered to help make you own this Black Sumo.

SBDC031 Black Sumo + Box & Papers... 555.-

...ADD unworn/unused SEIKO R028011J0 “MM300” silicone rubber diver straps... 645.-

Any queries relating to the diver, shipping, or anything else, please do drop me a PM. Thank you!

UPDATE 12/03/20: Currently ON HOLD pending payment. Thanks.

Last edited by Don; 12-03-20, 20:14.

Comment

The very fact this isn't sold proves we're got a real problem here with this market(place)....

Jeez.... I am tempted but it would mean losing weight,,,
        Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club
        New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Originally posted by harlansmart View Post
          The very fact this isn't sold proves we're got a real problem here with this market(place)....
          Cheers, Harlan… Unfortunately, it is not just “this” post that proves that—it’s been like this for some time now. Over, say, the last two years, all the watches that I have listed FS on Timekeeper get sold, yes, but the majority (3 in 4) are sold outside our forum, to non-forum members, either in New Zealand or other countries overseas. Of the 1 in 4 that get sold through TKNZ, it is sold to the same 2-3 people, whom I consider my patron supporters and really the last remaining reason for still posting here.

A market can only function when there’s sufficient demand, and when there are very few buyers in a market, demand is low, and if the watch must be sold here and nowhere else, then the seller has to keep lowering the price until it becomes unfairly cheap. That may benefit the buying party, but because the likelihood of future interactions is based on mutual benefit and reciprocity, the selling party is unlikely to ever engage again. Even more detrimental, when newcomers and potential members see that things can’t be sold for a fair price on our board, regardless of how transparent they are presented, they won’t be joining nor participating.

IMHO, Timekeeper Marketplace is a buyer’s market. For selling, TradeMe—even after factoring the fees—is by far a better venue.

Comment

Both the Black Sumo and R028011J0 “MM300” silicone rubber diver straps are...

SOLD!

Thank you, Timekeeper NZ and Buyer.

Comment

• Hammers
              Hammers commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats to purchaser, fantastic choice

Great watch & happy you've moved it to a new home, one that's apparently eagerly awaiting the piece

On the above extraneous discussion.. what seems inexplicable is this, forum member currently selling some watches on the auction site, he is on there, in the Q & A, discussing (bargaining) feverishly with another forum member on the price, and noting his success fee's are a cripplingly $200

Cannot get my head around that, 2 of our own forum members bargaining over a price differential of a couple of hundred, ironically less than the success fees.
            Harlan
            Timekeeper Watch Club
            New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Working...
            X