New Razor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Razor

Heh chaps, just thinking about the old shaving routine and I have been wondering lately about going back to a razor and separate blade as opposed to the supermarket Mach 3 and cartridge blades I've been using for the last 20 odd years

I remember starting off on a metal razor and slicing myself to shreds with a sharp blade, then progressing to the disposable Gillette blue II's before swapping in and out of the Schicks and the Gillette Mach series. I think there was the odd interruption with a phillashave that's still sitting in the cupboard somewhere!!!

I've always used a good quality brush and my current one is 25 years old, I swap in and out of good soaps / can gel and probably shave 3 times a week as I find here in NZ you can get away with a bit of buzz

Is there anyone else using blades? If so what's the story, what type, how do you find it???

I know there is a resurgence in quality razors with platinum coated blades but before I head into work dotted with toilet paper again I thought I'd ask the question!

There used to be a good shave shop in Christchurch but I need one in Auckland or if I get enough recommendations I'll pick one up off amazon

Thoughts guys?

Go for it.

I have an old fashioned razor as you describe, as well as two cut-throats that I am learning to use. I have very curly hair and find shaving has been improved in terms of less ingrown hair and a closer shave.

I get most of my stuff from w.whiskers on trade me. Worth investing in a good brush and spending time making a good lather.

Actively seeking Tuna of all shapes and sizes...to hunt your pride of lions...

Comment

Thanks Andrew? Just had a look at Bill's website. I have heard recommendations about the Merkur and the Muhle's, he also has some nice soaps by the look of it, although I'd grown fond of Geo Trumpers. What blades are you using and do you get the blades from Bill or locally?

I have a cut throats that needs some TLC but I've also got the old sharpening strop!

Thought I better start adding some snaps as I reckon this is definitely an add on thread given the esteemed gentlemen we have on this site

Comment

Seem to recall, EisenFaust might have been cutthroat mad... check out the SRP Razor Forum :D

Comment

as slippery a slope as watches mate..

start with the Grand Seiko of Razors :thumbup:
          https://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop...akamisori.html
          “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
          Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Don't you just use a Swiss Army knife?
            Tony Lewis
            New Zealand

Comment

Been using the rapira blades that old bill reckons are the best. I can't argue with him, they seem to avoid rash pretty well
              Actively seeking Tuna of all shapes and sizes...to hunt your pride of lions...

Comment

Cheers for the temptation DW... but sadly the top of the range model is currently 'Not in stock', lucky that.

Attached files

Comment

the only thing worth noting with the traditional Japanese blades is they are designed to cut on one side only. anyone who has used a cut throat will know you can get pretty good with both hands after a while but these mean some creative hand v face positioning but you will never shave closer and it will take a weeks growth off like its not there!
                  “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
                  Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Problem is, I tend to drop wet slippery things... this stuff wouldn't last too well being dropped into the basin eek

Regardless, would go for a symmetrical German made model by Rasurpur.

Attached files

Comment

as slippery a slope as watches mate..

start with the Grand Seiko of Razors :thumbup:
                      https://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop...akamisori.html

Woah your not wrong 729 euros for a razor wow... yep bit different to dropping the bic in the sink!

Thanks for the tip on the blades Andrew

Comment

Hi guys. Have used straight razors exclusively for many years now - would be happy to set anyone up with a high quality shave ready straight razor or sharpen your existing razor (should I not determine it to be a worn out POS). PM me if you have any questions or join StraightRazorPlace.com for all the info you could ever need. Thanks.

Comment

Right! Having boldly dived into the rabbit hole and purchased my first razor and blades from Bill Whiskers, I deliberated all weekend on when to have that first shave... probably a combination of nerves, wondering why oh why I had to even think this was a good idea, I thought what the heck... Monday morning it is.

It's not until you pull the razor blade out of the chewing gum style wrapper that memories of cutting yourself with sharp objects come flooding back from childhood! The blades themselves seem thinner and more flexible than they used to, but I still felt I had to hold the blade with trepidation to avoid cutting myself. I had to focus on what I was doing. Bill had said the Gillette blades can be quite aggressive what the hell does that even mean??? Of course they are aggressive, they're sharp!

I settled on what is a lovely feeling Pearl 3 piece that has a black handle and polished stainless finish. Pearl also go by the brand Cadet overseas and have a favorable following.

The razor has a nice weight to and it feels different to holding a Mach 3, it feels like a proper instrument, a tool to do a job, not a quick fix disposable razor that you become so used to.

Having honed my skill on cartridges and disposables it dawned on me that this is not just a different tool, it is a different way of shaving! I tended to apply a fair amount of pressure with the cartridges, but with a razor you let the weight do the work, you need to hold it somewhere between a 30 and 45 degree angle, and you must go with the grain.

I lathered up this morning and nervously put tool to skin and let it drop away... wow it was amazing! It was a totally different feel to having a cartridge, it felt luxurious, the stainless steel seemed to glide smoothly over the skin but you could hear the blade cutting the hairs. It has a totally different sound. One side of my was now shaved with no problems! Onto the neck. The razor seemed to take 2 days growth with considerably less effort or dragging than the cartridges.

Neck all done in dusted... let hope I have some lips left at the end of this exercise!

Then on the final bend the inevitable happened

Something I thought was going to happen several times and I had pictured myself looking like spot the dog with toilet paper all over my face.

It hurt

Am I being a woose??? No I refereed a game of soccer last year with a broken kneecap without realizing it so I feel I can still hold onto my man card. But this stung! And of course the blood pours... by this stage one of the kids have walked past the bathroom and looked at dad and said why did you cut yourself as if it's something I decided to do on a Monday morning

The strange thing was that I still felt elated! I had triumphed I had shaved with a razor and only cut myself once and it felt great

Heading off to school the kids said I should really clean myself up!

I am still nervous knowing that I will need to do the same again on Wednesday. But I have started my journey, maybe the novelty will wear off and I'll chalk it down to another dumb idea which is what my 8 year old son thinks, he just can't fathom why you would want to do it when there is a perfectly fail safe way to shave every morning and never cut yourself which is what he has seen. I told him to wait 40 years and see how he feels about it!

But I will persevere with this new found fascination into what is a dull boring repetitive admonishment on man and anxiously approach the next time.

To those that encouraged me, thank you, to those wondering whether to do it, hell yes!

Wait until the aftershave goes on

Comment

That's was equal parts hilarious and terrifying!

Live long and prosper.

Comment

Great review and beautifully written.
                              Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X