McLaren A1500 Legacy Integrated Amplifier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McLaren A1500 Legacy Integrated Amplifier

One of these for $380 on the auction site - now I like the old McLaren pre & power amps very much.

Up for sale is a Mclaren A150B, a great integrated amp that has gained reputation for both performance and reliability. Rated power ouput is 75W per channel into 8 Ohms. The amp is in great working condition; all features work as it should.

The amp has a dynamic, involving sound with a very decent phono stage supporting both MM and MC cartridges. After you leave the amp running, the sound will 'warm up' and improves over a period of listening. It uses a pair of very well known complimentary power MOSFETs 2SK135/2SJ50 for each channel. - rz

A review can be found on the link below:
    http://www.audioenz.co.nz/1990/10/mc...50b-amplifier/

Is this worth getting, any ussful advice appreciated i.e can I use this as a pre amp only hooked up to 2 mono blocks?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1...B-F9C88B370433

TIA

Attached files

Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Hi Harlan,

The A150B (the B version denotes as MK 2) is a very nice sounding integrated but unfortunately cannot be adopted as a pre-amp to drive your monos ...its only "output" is the tape output but cannot be volume controlled. It has no proper pre outs.

If you have a secondary audio system and wouldn't mind the lack of remote control functionality, the 150B integrated would make do nicely (won't break the bank at $380) and has stated in the AudioEnz review, it certainly has a very respectable MM/MC phono stage/input should you have a turntable. I had the original A150 many years ago but sold it.

What sort of monoblocks do you have?

Cheers,
    Darryl.

Comment

Darryl, sorry I thought I'd responded to your reply (or at least had intended to, apologies for not thanking you for the useful information).

Didn't really matter, as the 902's we have are about to be sold, soon as they're picked up.. FWIW: have not 1 single CD, let alone a record, and play off of a Apple iPod 6th Gen, the one with the 1" square display, although thats MIA presently & my speakers are damaged... really need to take them some new cones/dust-caps to the guy in Remuera but wonder really if it's worth the effort / cost & what the result would be like etc. Dunno.

Never really had the hi-fi where it was (imagined) it was meant to go.. whole other world really.

PM Sent
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Wonder what this would sound like...

I really like the McLaren stuff... its all legacy right, but the right combo could be pretty sweet, just never seem to know what works & what does lol

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1411342682

Attached files

Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Working...
        X