calling all Apple nerds.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling all Apple nerds.

I have come to the conclusion that I am too old and too busy to be fecking with my PC anymore. thus, I have decided to join the herd and buy an Apple. im looking at a 27" iMac but could be swayed by some of the older mac pros I have seen. my plan is to start my ghost, hero video editing and I need something with high graphics capability and able to run 2 screens as I can't be arsed with all controls and display on the same screen.

so to the questions.
    1. on a Mac, how much ram is regarded as a lot? I have an option for a 32gb and an 3gb graphics card
    2. what do all the names of the operating system mean? high sierra, Capitan and such.
    3. do I really need to run on i7? what advantages over i5 should I expect?

that about it really, I figure if I buy a tower then I'll need to spend a few bucks on a 4 or 5k screen to get the most from it or I can just go for the 27" screen and hope that I can cram enough ram and a big enough graphics card in.

any advice, opinion, experience welcome.
    don't tell me what PC I should build! im over that now, just want to admit im too old to be arsed and let Apple do all the thinking for me

2 immediate options below from the great trade me (wonderous platform that it is)
    Top Spec iMac 27" i7 32GB 3TB Fusion GTX780M 4GB for sale on Trade Me, New Zealand's #1 auction and classifieds website
    Last edited by deerworrier; 01-02-2018, 20:05. Reason: spelin
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

or I buy a seperate monitor and go for something like this...

what do the aficionados think?
    MacPro 5,1 Xeon Hex 6 Core 3.46 GHz 32GB HD7970 for sale on Trade Me, New Zealand's #1 auction and classifieds website

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

Here comes one of those 'Walls of Words'... but hey.... 'you asked' - anyway forgive me despite the fact that this is the well shortened version..

==========================================

We figured out & came to
      'see thru'all the PC/Windows time wasting about a decade ago.. at the time we couldn't believe we hadn't made the switch earlier. I'd just got a outrageously expensive Toshiba 18.6" Qosmio with 2 x 500GB 2.5" HDD's & thought it was the bomb... a mate wanted a new laptop, she wanted to try an Apple so got her a 2008 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 15" & thought nothing of it. A few months later, I borrowed it to use for a few days as mine was left somewhere... by lunchtime had realised the Apple did the 3 necessary things twice as well (media editing, email & internet browsing).

Example: Turn on computer & open Outlook Mail Inbox

Toshiba with Windows: A million mouse clicks & minutes of waiting (FAIL)
      Apple with Mac OS X: Couple of mouse clicks & about 30 seconds (WIN)

Been on an Apple ever since & the lady with the 2008 Core 2 Duo is too... we both have cMP's aka the Cheese Grater like you are looking at (above) BUT you must get the Dual Core version (the model you've got there is a Single Core model).

So... not many people will tell you SIMPLY how to do this, they pretty much all charge to do this stuff, it takes a (wee) while to learn how to do it yourself... flashing bios's & de-lidding CPU's etc can be 'problematic' (i.e. very expensive) for the beginner... but if you have someone who is prepared to assist & guide you through the various upgrades (for free) you can easily do it.

A shop will charge NZD7-8000+ to make you up a machine (like below)... but
      really
      , you can buy a good dual processor cMP locally for NZD1-2000 and then buy the upgrade parts from eBay & AMAZON and then do it ALL yourself - with some little bits of online help so you don't break your processor tray CPU sockets etc.... for NZD4000 you can have a good machine.... for NZD6000 you can have the baddest home computer on your block.

Any of the cMP versions from 2009 (also called 4.1) or 2010 (5.1) or 2011-2012 (also called 5.1) are totally fine, those 3 versions got only VERY slightly improved over their 4 year run.. i.e. simply flash the 2010 / 2011-2012 5.1 bios firmware onto a 2009 and it turns into a 5.1 allowing it also to run the faster CPU's (see screen shot below) just like the 2010 & 2011-2012 models.

The cMP is the best computer Apple ever made... it is 10x the computer the nMP 2013-2018 trash can is.

It is doubtful, that the 2019 Mac Pro when it is released will be as good at the cMP, it will be similar however since they realised that the cMP was fantastic, and the nMP was in the real world, junk by comparison.

I knew 100% absolutely completely nothing, but learned by doing it & have done now most of the possible mods, apart from the boosted power supply... because nVidia now releases bios firmware for their latest top line GPU's (think TITAN XP 12GB) and these are much more power efficient you can now more easily run a gaming cMP with a beastly GPU that doesn't quaff power.

Anyway.. 1st thing to do, is upgrade the stock quad core 2.3/2.6GHz processors to 3.3GHz or 3.4GHz hexa cores, I did this using X5680 which is (only) the 6 Core Intel Xeon 3.3GHz... the X5690 3.4's are more expensive, but give a very slight edge (and also of course use more power / run hotter etc).

Once you have a 12C 3.3-3.4 GHz cMP next up you have to get one or some Samsung AHCI SM951's (these discs are often called 'Blades') to pop into your cMP to boot the OS from (I’ve run 4 x SM951 on a Squid Card for 5000+ MB/s, 2 x SM951 on 2 Lycom DT120 Cards for ~2500MB/s & (currently) 1 x SM951 on a Lycom DT120 Card for ~1400MB/s (cheap, cheerful & still 13-1400MB/s)... this will boot your OS & programs/apps pretty fast. This card that has your boot disc probably goes into the 3rd PCIe slot on the backboard, if you run 2 x PCIe cards for the boot discs (RAID 0) then you use slots 2 & 3 (faster in RAID 0 that slots 3 & 4). I was using 2 x GPU's but have gone back to one, so now PCIe slot 2 is free again so I will probably go back to running 2 x SM951 Blades in RAID 0 so I will use PCIe slots 2 & 3 again (the GPU is in slot 1 / the USB 3.0 controller is in slot 4).

You can chuck an SSD into the upper DVD tray (JESUS)) and is the thing that assists the start up/boot discs (GOD)... then you also have 4 extra trays/sleds that you can whack discs into... I just use 1TB HDD's in these though you can stick SSD's into them of course. SSD’s are cheap now, 1TB SSD can be had for under NZD400 right now on AMAZON.

GPU’s… only important AFAIK if you are gaming (possibly editing)… you can stick in up to a 12GB video card (this goes into PCIe slot 1) but if you don't game, am unsure if this is necessary… I’ve just a 3GB AMD RADEON 7950 Reference Card which has 2 x miniDisplay Port outlets & so have 2 x Apple 27" Cinema Displays, though you can run more displays if you like... there are 2 HDMI i/o ports too, so you can run up to 4 displays.. if you are needing 4 or 5K displays, you will need to do some extra research, as I have only 27" ACD's and ATD's which are just 2560 x 1440 (the best are the 2nd edition of the last ACD 30's, these are the best displays Apple ever made) but they're hard to buy as people are hopeless about knowing what they have, or dishing out the serial so a punter can check exactly what model is being offered... they are out there though, I've had a couple.

In my top PCIe slot (#4) there is a SONNET PRO 4 port USB 3.0 card, with individual controllers, all my discs, NAS, hubs etc, connect to this... this is good as USB 3.0 is fast, and the individual controller card from SONNET is the fastest you can do, since cMP cannot run Thunderbolt.

SONNET is actually good stuff, used to have a SONNET PRO PCIe SSD Card with 2 x Samsung Pro SSD's on it in RAID 0 that gave good speeds... but if you want the best, then the Samsung SM951 Blades bring (better than) nMP (trash can) speeds to the cMP.

Memory... random access memory... how BIG is your invisible desk... so you have 8 slots to throw RAM at with your dual processor cMP... you can buy 8 or 16GBRAM sticks, I've currently just 4 x 16GB for 64GB, which is enough, get 8 16GB sticks if you want to go all out and run the full 128GB RAM, but it is like the difference between 3.3 & 3.4GHz processors where it is actually physically hard to tell the difference with the tools (used below).

ONLY thing I have ever missed (that Mac Mini & MacBook Pro have) is Thunderbolt, and even that, haven't really missed... it just means my RS 6351A and a few other peripherals go unused on the 'main rig'... note again also you have to use Apple Cinema Displays not Apple Thunderbolt Displays if you want Apple displays but apart from the i/o interface the ATD and ACD are identical panels… best would be 2 x Apple 30” Cinema Displays… note with the 30” ACD there are 2 versions, the latter version is the best as it has the panel color/brightness of the later 27” ACD's and (latest) ATD’s.

With 3.4GHz processors, and everything else fully maxed the cMP with probably wants a boosted power supply (depends on the GPU you choose)... h-pro is fine however as it has a AMD Reference 7950 (low'ish power draw) & it hasn't stalled out yet but it is working, rendering 60GB+ 4K mp4 files etc… a video file that no MacBook Pro can render, that a 2011 16GB 2.7GHz Mac Mini (best Mac Mini ever made) takes 24h to render the Mac Pro will do in a couple of hours.

Can also pop in Wi-Fi card, and BlueTooth card too if you need, those bits were extra's from new, many shipped without as many serious gamers and pro's mostly prefer everything hard cabled to the machine (me too).

Recap:

Step 1: Place a search for 'Mac Pro Dual Core' and 'Mac Pro 4.1' and 'Mac Pro 5.1'.
      Step 2: Buy all the bits you need, mostly they come from Amazon & ePray
      Step 3: Upgrade to the latest bios firmware, flash bios to MacPro,5.1 etc
      Step 4: Install CPU's, RAM, PCIe Cards, OS blade(s), GPU & so on...
      Step 5: Realise you are nuts for not having done this earlier!

===============================================

Pic. 1:

h-pro 2009 4.1 cMP flashed to 2010/2011-2012 5.1 (allows for the 3.3/3.4GHz processors) hence:

2 x 3.3 GHz Intel Xeon 6 Core X5680 CPUs i.e. 12C
      Samsung SM951 AHCI Blade running APFS
      3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 GPU
      64GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
      10.13.2 High Sierra OS

Click image for larger version  Name:	1 Mac Pro Info.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	38618

Pic. 2:

h-pro FREE GEEKBENCH multi-core benchpress score 24000+

Note: FREE version gives lowish results as they want you to buy the paid version.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2 Mac Pro Free GeekBench.png Views:	1 Size:	216.0 KB ID:	38619

Pic. 3:

Highest GEEKBENCH Mac OS CPU bench presses:

(Note: this is just 'one way to measure performance'... some types of setups shine here in this test but are not really that powerful 'in the field') - plus there is no way to tell if these scores are from FREE or PAID versions.. one presumes people benching 20000+ mostly have the paid version however this won't always be true as we're a case in point.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

Click image for larger version  Name:	11 Mac OS GeekBench TOP Scores.png Views:	1 Size:	420.4 KB ID:	38627

Pic. 4:

Proof of SM951 superiority in cMP

FREE BlackMagic Disk Speeed Test shows 13-1400 MB/s write & read of GOD.

GOD is (currently) the Boot Disc (1 x SM951) & it is on the Lycom DT120 PCIe card on the backplane board, slot 3.​​​ I will shortly go back to 2 x SM951 as I now have a free PCIe slot (only using 1 GPU now you see).

FWIW: With 2 x SM951 blades in RAID 0 running the OS the disc is called HOLY SPIRIT, keep all the names in a useful hierarchical order, makes things easy.. write the names on all parts & discs always.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Mac Pro Speed Test w Trim.png Views:	1 Size:	907.9 KB ID:	38620

Pic. 5:

Example, h-pro cMP Internal Storage, currently showing 6 internal storage discs (plus 10 external storage discs also currently mounted):

GOD is the startup/boot disc SM951 with OS X HIGH SIERRA (installed on PCIe DT120 card in PCIe slot 3)
      JESUS is GOD's assistant (2nd desk basically, plugged in to the upper DVD tray slot thingy)

Pro 1 is only a backup of HOME folder (Sled/Tray 1)
      Pro 2 is also unused mostly, use it when you don't know where else to dump crap (Sled/Tray 2)
      Pro 3 is a backup of GOD & GOD's helper aka JESUS (Sled/Tray 3)
      Pro 4 has extra Mac OS Version (YOSEMITE) boot disc for testing stuff, various uses... I actually have discs (bootable discs) of all MAC OS platforms since Lion (mostly on USB sticks but also copies on SSD) (Sled/Tray 4)

Click image for larger version  Name:	7 Harlan Mac Pro 5.1 Discs.png Views:	1 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	38621

Does that all make sense dw?
      Last edited by Admin; 02-02-2018, 22:27.
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

im going to buy a laptop

good effort mr H, Im off to do some searching.

Comment

I just took a look for you... there is only one worthy on there now... Listing 1534298833

And if you don't like that incredibly good deal then just place the 3 searches listed beneath in Home > Computers > Desktops > Apple desktops

'Mac Pro Dual Core'
          'Mac Pro 4.1'
          'Mac Pro 5.1'

IMVHO this Mac Pro being sold by Kaleem from Computer Clinic Mobile Services (CCMS) at 185b Richardson Road, Mount Roskill,
          Auckland is an bargain, hmmm... wonder why he doesn't throw a few parts at it and knock it off for $6000 frankly...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mac Pro 1534298833.png Views:	1 Size:	606.2 KB ID:	38635
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

cheers H, i've been off line for the last few days. think ill go for the one recommended above then build for there as i learn more.

Comment

Very much doubt if you could go wrong with that one... if you haven't bought it in a few days someone else most likely will have.

We've 2 x Samsung SM951 AHCI 128GB Blades BNIB here too... just need a couple of Lycom DT120 PCIe cards & you'd be blazing with 2500MBs read/write.

Please, just before you chuck your Windows setup away, kindly take some measurements using Black Magic Free & GeekBench Free so gage a measure of your current processing speed & power. You need to join GeekBench, you just DL the 2 apps etc, its easy. GB records the results, keeps them in a database which is helpful for trouble shooting & improving your best bench etc.

Screengrab the results, then later update this thread when you have a cMP running a SM951 (or 2, 3 or 4) and 64-128GB RAM and 2 x X5680/5690 CPU's...

Someone you know pretty well knows where to go to buy all the shizzle too, having done so 2 times already.
              Harlan
              Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

let the stupidity begin once more...
                build plenty of SFF units in the past and am no stranger to fecking around with heat sinks so im a little more confident than this nervous nelly.

Last edited by deerworrier; 04-02-2018, 18:07.

Comment

and there will be no geekbench data, my PC boot screen currently states "could not complete update, please reinstall operating system" feck that, im over it.

Comment

- haha 1811hrs :kapow:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DW cMP.png Views:	1 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	38716

- Refer my 1st comment 'figured out & came to 'see thru all the PC/Windows time wasting about a decade ago' ....

...... basically WIN seems overly useless, complicated, unintuitive, cheap, painful, unreliable & unattractive)... just chuck it in the bin.... if a clux like me can achieve multiple times a low cost proven high performance cMP build anyone can.

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
                    and there will be no geekbench data, my PC boot screen currently states "could not complete update, please reinstall operating system" feck that, im over it.

- Hmm, I remember watching his you tube vids late 2016... he'd done the same stuff as me... kinda... but hey look, I do not think he ever munted stuff too bad... i.e. never trashed a cMP CPU dual processor board/tray by over tightening the allen heads that hold the CPU heat sinks down... but online you will find a very well known & highly regarded expert did just exactly that very muppet move (NB: dual processor CPU boards are NZD1000. And please do note that one on TM DW... compare the parts prices... see what I mean?).

I do those heat sinks up, lightly and only just ever so finger tight with a small torque allen key... treat them like the fasteners in your sun glasses frames... they do not need to be very firm at all to get the processors working perfect.

That dude had some pertinent info but yeah, he's self learnt & definitely no pro.

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
                    let the stupidity begin once more...
                    build plenty of SFF units in the past and am no stranger to fecking around with heat sinks so im a little more confident than this nervous nelly.
                    Last edited by Admin; 05-02-2018, 14:33.
                    Harlan
                    Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

right then, busy weekend next week. the compootur and wee monitor arrived with the keyboard and mouse at beasties place of work on Thursday morning. the 32gb of ram is on its way from Amurica along with the pci-e card and ssd, the cpu upgrade has been decided, im going for the x5690 option so I can run the ram at 1333. all in with the striping of the old pc for parts I should have a machine with the following spec...

2 x 3.4Ghx 6core cpu
                      98gb ram at 1333
                      2 x 120gb ssd on pci (ona for OS and one for apps)
                      1 x 2gb 760 gpu good for 5k (but I can't see me wandering to far from 1080 for most work, 4k for a bit of fun)
                      1 x 2tb HDD for general storage
                      1 x 1tb external HDD for back up (old seagate I had sitting around)
                      twin optical drives (use my old dvd unit, handy to have for some things)
                      upgraded to 5,1 firmware
                      OX high sierra when im done
                      integrated bluetooth and wifi card

all up inc postage im in for $2600nz, while the firmware and lack of thunderbolt put it behind the 2015 trashcan, I think I will be happily kicking arse will all but the most powerful machines.
                      the expense will come when I decide to get the new monitor, although there are some pretty cheap 4k screens available.

I will post the nerd numbers as I receive and upgrade to see where the improvements are

Comment

You can save quite bit, and lose very little with x5680 3.3GHz processors, the 3.4's are even more power consumptive, depends on budget & whether you go w/upgraded power supply (the best ones mean having external devices which is a PITA).

Some people have told me 6 x 8 or 6 x 16Gb RAM is better than 8 x 8 or 8 x 16 but I have found that running RAM in all 8 slots is faster, the numbers prove it.

(JM2CW) - like the difference between 3.3GHz & 3.4GHz processors its hard to tell if you have 8 x 8 or 8 x 16GB of RAM, it's hard to measure/show/prove any difference.

You'll have 2 x SM950 Blades on Lycom DT-120's, so thats slots 2 & 3... get a mean USB3.0 PCIe Card (Sonnet Pro) for slot 4 & whatever the graphics card is it will be in slot 1 no matter what... it (was) easiest to get AMD Reference cards, but now (as of early/mid 2017) you can also get the latest Nvidia cards that work A-Ok on cMP as well.

That cMP you have just procured (insane buy to BTW) I'm pretty sure it had a Wi-Fi card... maybe you might need a blu-tooth card (about $50 or so)...

Looking forward to some benching of this system, and also too, keep a track of the cost.

Nearly as bad as cars, watches, boom sticks etc... computers lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0208 copy.JPG Views:	1 Size:	36.1 KB ID:	39045

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0205.JPG Views:	1 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	39046

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0206 copy.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	39047

Harlan
                        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

finally got home to start the mac attack. first up, start the bugger after lugging it up the stairs it is not a lightweight unit.
                          fired it up and no dramas, i'll need to get the proper GPU soon so i can run my HDMI monitors but it was planned.
                          out of interest i did a geek bench test as it was with the below...

with 12gb ram it scored to below...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 10.31.56 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	993.0 KB
ID:	39137
                          with the as was 12gb ram it scored the below (once i reseated the ram)

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 10.40.27 PM.png
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	39135

interestingly (if you are a nerdy twat) when i installed the additional 16gb i had from my old PC (may it burn in the eternal fires of Palmerston north) i scored...

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 11.21.21 PM.png
Size:	566.8 KB
ID:	39136
                          tiny mark up on the single core, means nothing really but a big step down on the multi? I'm guessing this is to do with the new ram being 1600 speed and the cpus only good for 1066. this should change to 1333 when i upgrade to 12core 3.3s and firmware 5,1.

thats all for now

Comment

up early and in full nerd mode
                            had to find the mac-efi files and then run the 4,1-5,1 upgrade. hint to anyone coming along after...open the efi on screen but don't run it, just open then run upgrade! took me a few attempts to figure this one.
                            after a bit of restarting upgrade worked like a charm so i installed high sierra and it worked first time.
                            only issue i have is one of the 2gb ram slots is playing up, sometimes it registers and sometimes i see a fault but its not drama as the new 64gb sticks are on their way.

the geekbench dropped significantly, I figure I'm running HS on a platform its not designed for so no surprise, when i install the pic ssd and the cpu upgrade all should be well.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 7.47.19 AM.png
Size:	650.7 KB
ID:	39139

next up is the install of the extra dvd drive and my old 2tb HD, not sure how that will go and fear i may need to format it! lucky my pics are on an external

Comment

AWESOME - you now have a 2010-1012 cMP for zero extra cost!

So, you have something whacky going on, I'd like to know why... you benched 13236 running:

cMP 2009 4.1
                              macOS 10.11.6
                              12MB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM
                              2 x 2.33GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8C)

...and then ran a bit less, running 11583 with:

cMP 2009 4.1
                              macOS 10.11.6
                              24MB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM

...then benched a touch less again on 5.1 & 10.13.0 running 11182 with:

cMP 2009 5.1
                              macOS 10.13.3
                              24MB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM

Were those 3 benches done with the 10.11.6 & 10.13.0 on the same disc, what is the disc exactly? Might be wiggly RAM... are there any red lights next to any of the RAM sticks on the processor board?

Anyway, looking brilliant mate 10/10, and with lots of discs internal, formatting & installing OS's is usually a breeze.... something like this can (does) help too.. thoroughly recommend, takes 2.5" & 3.5" inch form factors & offers 1-touch cloning/mirroring of Mac OS's. Score: 9.5/10

Orico 6629 S3
                              http://www.orico.cc/goods.php?id=4996

Click image for larger version  Name:	ORICO.6629S3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	39157

Now... while you are on Amazon getting your ORICO 6629 SATA dock, and your SONNET PRO USB3.0 PCIe card, you have to get one of these as well, they're cheap as chips & you will definitely thank me, USB 3.0 hub with ALL I/O capable of HI-PWR.... the absolute meanest hub that exists, will act as a hub for your SONNET Pro USB3.0 card AND power maximally all and any discs & iPads like nothing else... the transformer is bigger than the dock, thats why, its the only monster hub you can get for the money AFAIK. I have 2 of them actually. Score: 11/10

Plugable 60W USB Hub
                              https://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub7bc/

Click image for larger version  Name:	PLUGABLE.USB3.0.HUB.JPG Views:	1 Size:	193.9 KB ID:	39158

This will probably interest too you, Lycom DT-120 PCIe cards reached New Zealand

Click image for larger version  Name:	Messages Image(364549514).png Views:	1 Size:	262.1 KB ID:	39159
                              (Royal Mail is faster at sending stuff 12,000 kilometres around the Globe than NZ Mail is at sending it across Auckland apparently!)

PS: Join GeekBench, so it records your progress... do it so we can see what bits are in the thing as you go & what the gains are in series... knowing you, my guess is you will press 25,000 - 28,000 at a guess.

You'll LOVE this thing
                              Harlan
                              Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

• deerworrier
                                deerworrier commented
                                Editing a comment
                                get them sent, i want this bugger built before the weather improves and i have to go back to work.
                            Working...
                            X