calling all Apple nerds.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that I am too old and too busy to be fecking with my PC anymore. thus, I have decided to join the herd and buy an Apple.

don't tell me what PC I should build! im over that now

Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

• deerworrier
      deerworrier commented
      Editing a comment
      i see what you are alluding towards but its not like that, honest.

• captainscarlet1
      captainscarlet1 commented
      Editing a comment
      OK mate, I believe you.

Originally posted by harlansmart View Post
    So, you have something whacky going on, I'd like to know why... you benched 13236 running:[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    It's no drama, I'm running HS but i think El Cap is still on the disc, its not partitioned and its a 5yr old 2tb seagate. i'm waiting until the ssd's arrive then ill transfer HS to 1 and apps to the other and then i can partition the hdd units into usable 1tb portions.
    in real terms i won't know what the ideal set up is until i have my editing suites up and running then i can see whats what. I'm guessing that the benchmark no. will not work out to be the quickest "real world" combo.
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Maybe run the 2 blades together as 1 disc, you'll get 2500MBs with them in RAID 0... guess it depends how much the apps/programs need while working, the OS takes up very very little, and since its Mac it stays teeny too... unlike PC which snowballs no matter how good you are
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

32gb of ram arrived this evening so i'll be running 48gb later. going to remove all the 2 gb sticks and run just 1333 in paired slots. when the cpu is done i'll slowly start swapping out for the 16gb sticks. was reading last night about a test on macrumours and a boy there has run 5x32gb without issue! 160gb!!

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

• harlansmart
          harlansmart commented
          Editing a comment
          This is choice fun... some other members have cMP's but they don't like talking about them like this

Man, gonna learn a lot with this, can feel it rofl.

Help me understand... your cMP has 8 RAM slots, right.... now while some weird people say over & over & over & over & give heaps of really nice techo reasons why the fastest RAM setup is utilising only 3 in each bank i.e. 6 x 8 (48GB RAM) OR 6 x 16 (96GB RAM) I never found this to be the case.

In practise, in testing, in real life, 8 x 8 (64GB RAM) or 8 x 16 (128GB RAM) was always better that 6 x 8 or 6 x 16... every time a coconut.

This 5 x XXGB RAM has me confused lol

Why use 2 slots in one bank, and 3 slots in the other bank

32GB sticks... give us the link to the guy running 32GB RAM sticks in his cMP boss

Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

post no.127 mate
          Wonderful feedback! Thank you so much for your lightning fast feedback! I am ordering two more identical 32gb sticks, which should bring me up to...

Comment

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            Woodstock is looking PHAT

Ok, cool - good work, and cheers for that, yip... think after 128GB RAM the cMP doesn'tnecessarily benefit much (if at all?) - i.e. see the '??' his system is displaying lol.

Are you buying RAM sticks with 32GB of memory dw?
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

nah, im going to stick with 16gb at 1333hz. 6x16 and 96gb will be more than enough for what i need and doesn't put pressure on the system. i figure if i buy a pair at a time and flip the 2gb and 8gb sticks it wouldn't be too expensive an exercise, unlike fecking GPUs! bloody crypo miners have knackered the market, units at $250us last year are over 600 now??? WTF.
            Last edited by deerworrier; 20-02-18, 18:36.

Comment

Got it... got it got it.

You're onto it.

so you are now hunting 3.3GHz 5680 and/or 3.4GHz 5690 Xeon's right dw?

At 1st they cost about a grand each (back in the day).... then about 2 years ago you could get them for a couple of hundred USD each or so, maybe even less...

....what are they going for now man... I might have a source, I'd need to see if he is still alive & kicking.
              Harlan
              Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

the cpu's are on their way...
                the GPUs, last year sapphire 8gb units were $2-300 now cant find one under 600 new. a boy has a 4gb on TM for 500 but im not sure its mac and flashing cards isnt for me.
                These X5680 CPUs and the X5690 CPUs will also allow the use of faster 1333MHz memory. The X5670 and slower CPUs will not allow the faster memory. If you have the 2009 version of the Mac Pro and have not upgraded to the 5.1 firmware yet, you will need to download and install the 4.1 to 5.1 firmware before installing these CPUs. | eBay!
                Last edited by deerworrier; 20-02-18, 20:12.

Comment

man on man are you fast at hooking yourself up or what, nice work 10/10

Theres no diff between the mac versions & the pc versions, I flashed some when I still had a windows pc at hand, I do not now, don't have a single WIN OS in the place so cannot flash the cards, but it makes no difference except if you are turning it on, for a few seconds right at boot-up if you have flash the mac specific rom onto a GPU you'll get a boot screen, it's a nothing thing, especially since you will be booting so so fast.... I doubt I turn off the machine even once in 2 months... you could blink anyway, that'd solve the issue..

EDIT: the card I have now, am running on now, has both mac & pc rom's on it, it has a switch on the side (3GB AMD Reference 7950) - plus it has 2 x mini-display port for 2 x Apple Cinema Displays.

But near almost any card will work, mostly check the I/O... I only want mini-display port, sp cards that have that are best, I can used other stuff but the ACD's and ATD's have mini-display plugs so that saves on adapters etc.

I've chucks all sorts of graphics cards into cMP, despite what all the weirdo's say, most work 100% A-Ok.

No idea why people flash a $250 card then try sell it as a $500 Apple Flashed card, strange... suckers abound I guess.

Any new Nvidia card will work now too, not just AMD's!

If I was grabbing one now I'd get an Nvidia 12Gb TiTan... probably will soon actually just for kicks more than anything.
                  Harlan
                  Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Originally posted by harlansmart View Post
                    man on man are you fast at hooking yourself up or what, nice work 10/10
                    the joys of no deal prevention officer

got home 10min ago with 32gb of ram and installed, with the 2 sticks i had, switched on and nothing but a white flashing light (means ram error)? hmm, checked ram and like a twat i tried to install UDIMM and DIMM sticks together so out went my old sticks, stuck in 4 of the 2gb stick i got with machine and switched on to find.....flashing white light???? removed 2gb sticks and up she came, 32gb running happily and a substantial jump in the geekbench...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_17.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	39302
                    I'm wondering if the ram was the issue on the last runs? i also can't figure out why the machine won't run 32gb dimm with 16gb udimm but did run the udimm with the 2gb dimm cards installed too??
                    anyway, I'm ordering up another 32gb in 2x16 for tonight and we shall see where that takes us, should be here around the same time as the cpu's so it will be a fun trip home.
                    point to note, the new ram is 1333 but with the 2.26 cpus it can only run at 1066, this will bump up after the upgrade which i think is going to be a huge step up.

Comment

When you keep saying 32GB you are meaning 2 x 16Gb eh?

So currently you have 2 x 16 correct?

I don't think till you have hexa core xeon's will it recognise over 1066... so shortly, you should see the following right?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Messages Image(2137821581).png Views:	1 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	39304
                      PS: get a Logitech G900, you will thank me, and also wonder why all other mice are just so totally junk.
                      Harlan
                      Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Man those CPU's look CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP !!!

PS: Don't think that if you have say, 2 x 8GB RAM that it cares whether or not you chuck another 2 x 2GB in... will still only recognise the 2 x 8 effectively... I know from when I tried mixing 16GB & 8GB sticks.

This makes me want to get 3.4's / 128GB & a huge video card again, except I found that an uprated power supply was likely prudent... fans running full bore ALL the time the noise is horrendous, like a jet taking off honestly... and if you go that far, you may as well start running the cards and all that stuff in external enclosures, external power supply what not... then it turns into a whole epic other worldly solar system, almost need an extended room really to house it all... NASA styles.

Can just about see you sitting amidst it all, Zenith flyback movements in bits, wires, plugs, tools, diagnostics, beer, stuff flying all around, screens whizzing, stuff flashing, and the dw controlling it all awesomely
                        Harlan
                        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

currently have 4x8gb running.
                          but last set up was 2x8gb and 6x2gb and the screen would read 28gb installed and show me all sticks in location?? i've just ordered 2x16gb, that will give me 64 if it recognises the 8gb sticks!! if not i can sell the on TM for way less than the chancers on there try for.

the difference is actually noticeable with the new ram?
                          if you know anyone who want 12gb of 1066, dimm ram it all works and will be cheap, and the 2x8gb 1600 udimm will go too.
                          Last edited by deerworrier; 20-02-18, 21:34.

Comment

Working...
                          X