No announcement yet.

calling all Apple nerds.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On both mine & uubers it seemed best to run @ about 90-95%of what is possible, 16GB sticks and 3.46GHz processors used a lot more power... perhaps the best was 6 x 16GB RAM (96) but I sold my 16's and got 8's (8 x 8GB) and could not barely tell the difference, the BIGGEST difference was looking at how much less power 8 x 8GB used... same as with the hottest processors, they used a shit tonnes more power, you only have so much on the OEM supply.

So... you're buying 8's, you'll end up with 64GB, the 2 x 5680's which will bench 24000, the most I got was 27500 (GeekBench free still, not the paid version, which reads HIGHER) but in that state if I did massive film renders (think 90GB 4K files) sometimes the thing would run out of current, switch off, reboot and screw things up....

Optimum RAM seems to me to be either 8 x 8 OR 3 x 16, then again I don't really know, only what I can measure on those programs.

Hmm, I am not 100% on whether it is going to recognise the 4 x 8 AND the new 2 x 16.... I have a strong recollection when I got 4 x 16 and stuck them in, the 4 x 8 became redundant.. so I got another quartet of 16's... in the end I sold the fast processors & 16GB RAN sticks got 3.3GHz's and 8GB RAM sticks & used the leftover cash to buy the Logitech G900 which was the best thing I EVER did frankly, machine ran quiet, and my hand stopped hurting.

It's amazing the computer you are building, so fast, so powerful, so cheap

Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

2x16gb wil run with 4x8gb, the configuration is 3+1 in each bay if you are going for all 8 slots, from what i have read 2+2 seems to be the issue and folks don't check the ecc or voltage of the set. i will probably end up with 6x16 + 2x8 and if that is iffy just drop back to 96gb (75% of current proven max) on the 6x16s, this should give me plenty for video work, i may stop at 64 if im happy, i want to stay well away from bigger/external psu and cooling issues, happier to take a 20min break than go through all that grief.
      reading a little on how the geekbench works and i think it is useful to see where you have picked up but i think the best measure is the Sigh count system i.e count how many times you mutter "feck, come on, christ how slow is this or the timeless feck this piece of dog sh1t machine" as you upgrade compare your count and see where you were Sigh free

i may take a pot shot at a GPU then, im thinking 4gb will be fine.

need a better keyboard too, the previous owner of this one had skin issues i think
      “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
      Always aim to be that man.

Comment

dw has your cMP got bluetooth
        Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

• deerworrier
          deerworrier commented
          Editing a comment
          it certainly does. bloody good too.

• harlansmart
          harlansmart commented
          Editing a comment
          PM Sent

getting there, just need the CPU upgrade to turn up tomorrow and i should be there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_20.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	39768
        it really does all hinge on the 3.3s. everything so far has had mixed results, the ram increase can have a detrimental effect on the benchmark for the multi core. sooner i get the upgrade in the better.
        for reference the below is taken from the seagate HDD i was running the OS from until this morning...

Name:	fullsizeoutput_23.jpeg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	39769 a slight increase

now i just need to wait for the arse to fall out of the crypto mining world and i can get a proper GPU for realistic money!

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
          a slight increase

now i just need to wait for the arse to fall out of the crypto mining world and i can get a proper GPU for realistic money!

1000% write improvement & 2000% read improvement... not bad eh but have you enabled Trim on the SM951 blades

If not this is the terminal command...
          sudo trimforce enable

i.e.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bf8e903eea544a2ef9723488bc3abaea.png Views:	1 Size:	471.2 KB ID:	39786

I imagine you are having some fun (frustrations) so I though I would join you by wiping my 2 blades & doing a fresh install on them... and now 100 hours later I am stuck, I can't get them back into RAID 0 & think it's because I can't get the self-modified kext patch to work that makes them recognised as internal discs... I have tried using Disk Utility from mavericks all the way up to High Sierra and I just can't get them back & recognised as internal storage or in RAID 0

Dunno why I messed with it frankly now, in hindsight... actually working on it now... guess you are possibly messing with heatsinks etc

Reminds me, I could get some washers for this one too, re-thermal paste etc... my CPU A will run up to 30c hotter which I think is a bit too much different it should only run 15-20c hotter so maybe my thermal past job was junk.

As for those guys with >1000 x 10GB GPU's, pretty interesting way to make money, mining with Graphics Cards... yeah if you look at that pic below, thats a tonne of AMD GPU's & it is easy to see why there's a shortage of GPU's presently lol

Does anyone here have a GPU (or ASIC) mining setup?

Click image for larger version  Name:	AMD GPU Mining Rig.png Views:	1 Size:	685.3 KB ID:	39787

Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

• deerworrier
            deerworrier commented
            Editing a comment
            did you install the thermal pads too? you need to make up the gap (around 3mm) that the lids create.
            no cpu install for me until next trip. eBay priority global shipping is a feckin' joke.

finally got around to sorting the desk out today, the case is a bit of a behemoth to position & i hate towers under desks.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_28.jpeg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	39789

Comment

did the trim thing but it made no difference to the read/write speeds.
            i went for the washer/heat pad option over the deluding as i am not 100% convinced sticking a cpu in a vice and forcing the lid off or applying direct heat to solder is the best course of action to ensure trouble free future operation. the processor chips run around 80℃, 15-20º over the recommended but they are rated for 105℃ i have read that the 80s tend to run a little cooler than the 90s too so i don't think its a concern.

Comment

Wow - impressive, very clean and a nice Breitling propellor you have there too

But, you won't hear the phone ringing, or anything else for that matter with that thing by your head there mate thats crazy positioning, unless you plan to do very little with the beast being created.

The exhaust will knock that screen over pretty much too... it'll start vibrating & wiggling... so much force comes out the back when you are crunching huge files. ROAR

Best sticker idea ever though, very very helpful, where'd you get that, nicer than post-it's all over the freakin' place.

(Recommendation: says 'get some quality ear muffs'.)

Name:	MAC OS Shortcuts.png
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	39797

Harlan
              Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
                did the trim thing but it made no difference to the read/write speeds.
                i went for the washer/heat pad option over the deluding as i am not 100% convinced sticking a cpu in a vice and forcing the lid off or applying direct heat to solder is the best course of action to ensure trouble free future operation. the processor chips run around 80℃, 15-20º over the recommended but they are rated for 105℃ i have read that the 80s tend to run a little cooler than the 90s too so i don't think its a concern.

1st time I de-lidded & used 3 x 1mm washers (all ok) with 5690 & often saw B hit 75 and A hit 95 HOT

2nd time I de-lidded 5680's & washered as above (all ok) that cMP is only very lightly used though so no temp recordings (Uubers one).

3rd time, I used 5680s, just left lids on, and used no washers (all ok) which was the easiest thing to do... B will hit 60 and A will hit 85 when rendering a 50GB file.... when this cMP is doing that, NO WAY would you be able to have it on the table next to you a dozen fans are doing 5000rpm and the blinds across the room are swinging around in the exhaust roar....

Hmm, the read/write should be really similar though... both 12-1400MB/s

Same disc's as you running here:

Name:	123c99daa3500e2bfa8a0edc00662de8.png
Views:	2
Size:	907.9 KB
ID:	39803

Harlan
                Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

• deerworrier
                  deerworrier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  would not being in a raid 0 set up make any difference? i just plugged the 2 pics into the 4x slots and off i went

Name:	fullsizeoutput_24.jpeg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	39806

Comment

• harlansmart
                  harlansmart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks DW, will print & tape to the wall!!!

these may prove useful for some folks too...

Shift & option keys =

Name:	20130206_Keyboard_Shift_Option.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	39849

Option key =

Name:	20130206_Keyboard_Option.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	39850

Comment

home for a long weekend and a veritable feast of nerd boxes to open.
                  first up i fitted my new radon sapphire, AMD R9 560 4GB gpu
                  then the logitech mouse was operational and only the big one to do.
                  the cpu install took all of 20min and was easier than an easy thing with the cheat codes! just followed the idiot sheets and it was up and running in no time.

so with the cpu and gpu sorted i am now running at...

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.46.12.png
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	40140

note the RAM speed? it is all actually 1333 so why im running at 1066 im not sure but there is a bit more to squeeze out of the lump yet. add this to the lack of raid0 on the pic cards and i think i have a good 5-600 on the single core and 3-4000 on the multi.

most use for me and my planned use for the beast is the graphic processing improvements....
                  Massive,

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.49.03.png
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	40141

and running the cinebench shows the speed of the old girl...

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.51.56.png
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	40142

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.52.40.png
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	40143
                  i have basically quadrupled my frame rate and cb mark is up by a factor of 10! all for $250 gpu

i'll raid the pic cards over the weekend and sort out the ram speed issue and we should have the finished product.
                  total cost:
                  1. the coolest keyboard for mac ever and a great mouse i ever owned = $240
                  2. pic cards and ssd 256 = $400
                  3. CPU upgrade kit = $450
                  4. GPU R9 upgrade = $250
                  5. the tower itself = $880

$2220 (less than 2k if i didn't want the cool keyboard and mouse) for a machine running the latest OS and with speeds around the 2015 iMac pro ($7k +)
                  happy bunny.

Comment

Thats an awesomely successful outcome!

A nMP trash can that cost 'only' NZD7000 would maybe match numbers but in real life probably couldn't match your cMP's strength.

What sort of i/o does your R9 AMD have to plug things into?

Well worthwhile eh

Harlan
                    Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

I have these, 175GB of Apple Tech Tools if anyone ever needs, quite hard to come by... at least a bit of a hassle to get hold of anyway. Including the ASD tools!

Pic. 1
                      Technicians Files

Name:	apple.tech.1.png
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	41009

Pic. 3
                      Whats in the 'Toolbox'

Name:	apple.tech.2.png
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	41010

Pic. 4
                      135GB subfolder of ASD Tools

Name:	apple.tech.3.png
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	41011
                      Harlan
                      Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

finally...

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 22.34.51.png
Size:	632.7 KB
ID:	41305

Comment

Working...
                        X