random vehicular thread..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random vehicular thread..

i am rapidly approaching my 11yr in this god forsaken hell hole we call Noo Zulind and while talking with my idiot early morning training partner we got to talking cars as I'm selling the ML500 and keeping the Rangy. this brought up the discussion on running 2 vehicles 1stoopid & a sensible one. it also make dave ask just how many cars id had since moving here and so the list below was born

1. upon arrival in CHCH i bought a $500 toyota something station wagon, ran it for 2weeks while i settled in and promptly sold it for $500 to some student type.
    2. i then bought an Isuzu Trooper, 2.8 diesel. love them, had several at home, used it for touring the south island and many camping/hiking weekends then drove it to New plymouth
    3. where i traded it in for a 4ltr range rover, i knew it was dumb but i did it anyway, then started driving 180km a day for work so
    4. bought a diesel Peugeot 405, $70 to fill and 1100km per tank but we needed 2 cars now as herself was here so
    5. Mitsi Pajero for the dogs and big trips but then the horses came! so the Peugeot went to make room for the
    6. Mazda b200 well side, trailing shit and hay around the country, no sooner was i a partner than i was single again so
    7. out went the 2 and i got me an Isuzu trooper 2.8 love them, had several at home! but alas this one was cursed and with no potion strong enough i sold and bought
    8. $500 toyota something or other to tide me over for a spell until a mate was shifting his
    9. Ford Falcon v8 ute, red the fastest colour and leaked like a sieve when it rained but fun, ran it for nearly a year before i went to Dubai, came home and had a toyota something for running around in until the job ended so i got myself a
    10. Audi S6, but now I'm home, mountain bikes, fishing trips, south island and work so i needed a
    11. Ford courier 2.5td great, great little wagon, ran it for ages and swapped it for a mates (same mate as Falcon)
    12 Merc ML500 which was so much car for the money but not enough to keep the tax man at bay so my company needed a
    13. GMC 5.7ltr v8, hilarious! the journey down from Auckland is not one Z will ever forget, the tax man left me alone and the GM went to a more appropriate home, i ran the merc for near 2yrs before the itch for
    14. Range Rover 4.6 HSE P38 was needed, not wanted but needed (its an idiot thing) this has satisfied me for near 5months now but with he Merc about to depart I'm thinking, what should no.
    15. Be???? technically it should be 16 as i had a series 2 landy but it was a project that was never completed so not counting it as a daily.

there you have it, 10yrs and 14cars. if you ever find yourself in a position where you need to do a brewsters millions and lose money fast, give me a shout i am world class at it.

so to the crux, I'm doing 800km a week and while the rangy can be afforded on fuel terms it will take a heavy toll on its fragile satanic componentry. WHAT WOULD YOU BUY? i don't do small cars, i hate crappy little hatchback and until they can build an electric ute I'm not interested. $$ i tend not to go big, very rarely going over $10k and I'm thinking 5ish for this one, basically buy it, run it until xmas as my commuting car and sell it soon as job is done.

feel free to throw ideas in the ring and more importantly reveal your idiotic history to the world

edit: between 7 and 8 i have been reminded of the Audi from hell, 2003 S4 paid$X, spend $XXXX keeping the fecker on the road!!! i killed that memory with fire. so we are at 17.
    Last edited by deerworrier; 22-04-18, 12:22.
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Haha was having the same conversation with my old training partner a couple of weeks ago. He had an eye watering story of car excess to share, bought his dream car a 911 turbo. Doesn’t drive it enough so it developed a small oil leak, something about a dry sump bla bla which I don’t understand. Trailers it up to the big smoke car dealer for a fix of the leak and a warrant. Bill comes in at 48k. Normal service for one of these is 4 to 5 k apparently. He’s had it back for 6 months and hasn’t driven it since, just likes looking at it! Despite having strict instructions from the dealer to drive it more or the same thing will happen again.
    Last edited by Stevo_iwc; 22-04-18, 13:00.
    “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

• deerworrier
      deerworrier commented
      Editing a comment
      thats $4-5k every 4-5k

What a tale of woe that is Mr worrier. I've had umpteen cars in my time and rarely made any money on them. I like big cars that "waft". Can't stand point and squirt machines, so for the last 25 years or so I've been a Jag man. My current car is a XK8. I can still look at it and think to myself, "Heck that's nice". Ordinarily I would recommend them to you but over here, although they last way longer than in UK they are a pain to fix, and pretty expensive, although not in Steves friends 911's league.
    I think if I was looking for a comfy motor for around 5 grand, I like to think I would end up with an old Lexus. But knowing myself as well as I do, it would probably end up being an old XJ6 4.2 and a stout pair of boots
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

• Horos
      Horos commented
      Editing a comment
      You worry me now,I have the lovely old XJ6.4.2 minter and am considering going the other way a selling it in favour of the XK8

$48k, sounds like my kind of investment
    Jag would be fun but possibly miss the mark by a slight margin! just doing some quick calcs and the rangy will hit me for $9400 in fuel alone over the next 9month, then add the cost of servicing, tyres and the inevitable repairs! saw a nice puggy 407, 2ltr diesel in lower hutt, not the most inspiring of cars but ar 6ltr per 100km there is a GS diver in the fuel savings alone!

Alex, you the the old man would get along just fine. he cant stay away from the XKRs, the local mech loves him more than the petrol station

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

What about a cheap Alfa? You still get the thrill of repairs but with a lower fuel bill. Apparently we should all experience one at least once in our motoring history and I didn’t see it in the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
        What about a cheap Alfa?
        never heard of one? i know alfa's, owned 3 in my time (pre NZ) including a sud. but this cheap Alfa is a new one on me Alfa's were once described to me as stripper cars in that they only work for you if you are throwing money at them mate Grant was a fanatic, he once asked me "name another car that won't start for you first thing in the morning but if you have a cup of tea and let the sun come up it will start 2nd time around?" he also pointed out that as quickly as some issues appeared, another would disappear
        i have found and am going to see an interesting little number, a Citroen of all things! a 2001 C5 diesel SX with 18k on the clock? guessing city type owner. been a long time since my XM days and the joys of hydro suspension. don't like dealers but this is interesting enough to make me wander in.

Comment

You are not alone here, I am on my 6th car in under 5 years.
          Miss my lovely jag which I brought with me .
          Have you considered importing from Japan ? , (both Japanese & European) won’t lose much if itch continues and as good an excitement as waiting for the new watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just flicked the 2010 John Cooper Works WRC Mini for a 2005 diesel Rover 75... great bang for the buck, which was very little. You could even give the MG ZT version a whirl. Cheap as chips and plenty of punch.

Comment

ghj might have something... he sent me thru this Thursday, looked pretty decent.. FSH etc

http://www.gmeuro.com/car/Audi/S8/999525857
              Harlan
              Timekeeper Watch Club
              Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
                i am rapidly approaching my 11yr in this god forsaken hell hole we call Noo Zulind and while talking with my idiot early morning training partner we got to talking cars as I'm selling the ML500 and keeping the Rangy. this brought up the discussion on running 2 vehicles 1stoopid & a sensible one. it also make dave ask just how many cars id had since moving here and so the list below was born

1. upon arrival in CHCH i bought a $500 toyota something station wagon, ran it for 2weeks while i settled in and promptly sold it for $500 to some student type.
                2. i then bought an Isuzu Trooper, 2.8 diesel. love them, had several at home, used it for touring the south island and many camping/hiking weekends then drove it to New plymouth
                3. where i traded it in for a 4ltr range rover, i knew it was dumb but i did it anyway, then started driving 180km a day for work so
                4. bought a diesel Peugeot 405, $70 to fill and 1100km per tank but we needed 2 cars now as herself was here so
                5. Mitsi Pajero for the dogs and big trips but then the horses came! so the Peugeot went to make room for the
                6. Mazda b200 well side, trailing shit and hay around the country, no sooner was i a partner than i was single again so
                7. out went the 2 and i got me an Isuzu trooper 2.8 love them, had several at home! but alas this one was cursed and with no potion strong enough i sold and bought
                8. $500 toyota something or other to tide me over for a spell until a mate was shifting his
                9. Ford Falcon v8 ute, red the fastest colour and leaked like a sieve when it rained but fun, ran it for nearly a year before i went to Dubai, came home and had a toyota something for running around in until the job ended so i got myself a
                10. Audi S6, but now I'm home, mountain bikes, fishing trips, south island and work so i needed a
                11. Ford courier 2.5td great, great little wagon, ran it for ages and swapped it for a mates (same mate as Falcon)
                12 Merc ML500 which was so much car for the money but not enough to keep the tax man at bay so my company needed a
                13. GMC 5.7ltr v8, hilarious! the journey down from Auckland is not one Z will ever forget, the tax man left me alone and the GM went to a more appropriate home, i ran the merc for near 2yrs before the itch for
                14. Range Rover 4.6 HSE P38 was needed, not wanted but needed (its an idiot thing) this has satisfied me for near 5months now but with he Merc about to depart I'm thinking, what should no.
                15. Be???? technically it should be 16 as i had a series 2 landy but it was a project that was never completed so not counting it as a daily.

there you have it, 10yrs and 14cars. if you ever find yourself in a position where you need to do a brewsters millions and lose money fast, give me a shout i am world class at it.

so to the crux, I'm doing 800km a week and while the rangy can be afforded on fuel terms it will take a heavy toll on its fragile satanic componentry. WHAT WOULD YOU BUY? i don't do small cars, i hate crappy little hatchback and until they can build an electric ute I'm not interested. $$ i tend not to go big, very rarely going over $10k and I'm thinking 5ish for this one, basically buy it, run it until xmas as my commuting car and sell it soon as job is done...
                Saw this post last night, and have been thinking about it. I’m going to interpret here that what DW meant by “What would you buy?” is “What would you buy if you had my requirements and were in my situation?...Not an easy task, because, firstly, I can only guess your requirements from what you told us. Secondly, you’ve owned more cars (17) in the last 11 years than I have owned in my entire life (10)—a bit of a struggle to suggest to a fish how better to swim. :D

Here’s my take on this. From your “the list”, it looks to me like the main things that seem to be important to you when you choose a car are 1) Practicality, 2) Reliability, and 3) Reasonable running costs. In giving these the priority, you don't mind a little (though not too much) less Performance, and Handling is not that important. Your love for the Isuzu Trooper likely stemmed from the fact that it delivered in all those crucial areas, cost of ownership is not bad for a serious off-roader, and if they were still in production, I think you’d get one.

Although this is a discussion about, as you put it, “running 2 vehicles 1stoopid & a sensible one”, you didn’t expressedly say whether you want the Range Rover 4.6 HSE to be the “stoopid” or the “sensible” one—can go either way, depending on what you decided to buy as its companion . So, I’m going to assume that we’re giving you suggestions about a car more sensible than the Rangy (?), thus it has to be more practical, reliable, and lower ownership cost than the Range Rover. If I were in your shoes—driving 800 km/wk and planning to own for only 8 months—there would be a couple of points to consider.

1) Practicality (but no crappy small hatchback) + lower running cost: I’d look at an 4WD SUV Diesel—feasible for your mileage, and later, you may even like it enough to make it the Rangy’s replacement.

2) 8 months ownership: If you choose diesel, the greatest cost of ownership for an short 8-month period for a 10+ year-old car would be the maintenance and repair costs. This would include any immediate repair or improvement required upon purchase, during the period of use, and anything you spend to then make the car more attractive to the used market. For this reason, I would be very careful about the Citreon C5, for which, compared to cars of the same age, many examples have turned up with poor reliability and for which the suspension requires overhaul every 5 or so years. Even if you happen upon a good specimen, the market’s general fear of them can mean it is difficult to sell on when you need to.

What I’m perhaps trying to say is that the C5 could make the Rangy your “sensible” car.

Again, if I were to look at the current market with similar requirements to yours, there are some diesel SUVs around the $5,000 mark. However, most are tired, and though their engine may be tough, the rest of the car are usually in serious need of TLC—either immediately or not too much later—unlike more petrol-engined models at $5k mark, which are generally in better condition. If I were to imagine myself in your situation, I would consider stretching this budget to $10k, as the ownership costs for these vehicles would likely be a lot lower, plus they are more desirable to the market when you decide to let them go. My short list would be:

Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi (2006-2008)

Nissan X-Trail dCI (~2008)

The X-Trail is a sharper drive, and one I'd personally choose, but the Santa Fe is the better all-rounder, IMO. Both should prove practical, reliable (Hyundai scores a little higher here), low running cost compared to your 4.6 HSE and, if you get a good example, very little to spend over an 8-month period, and are both reasonably sought-after in the market—both would be quicker to sell than a used Peugeot or Citroen, even if they have less character as cars. With a budget of $10k, there’s a good chance of finding either one with less than 200,000 km on the clock... Just my 2c...
                Last edited by Don; 23-04-18, 15:23.
                A watch journey that also serves the betterment of others is one worth taking.

Comment

Fantastic, yeah I had a Sud, for a weekend, dropped it's oil sometime on the Sunday afternoon 48hrs into ownership

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                  What about a cheap Alfa? You still get the thrill of repairs but with a lower fuel bill. Apparently we should all experience one at least once in our motoring history and I didn’t see it in the list.
                  Originally posted by deerworrier View Post

never heard of one? i know alfa's, owned 3 in my time (pre NZ) including a sud. but this cheap Alfa is a new one on me Alfa's were once described to me as stripper cars in that they only work for you if you are throwing money at them
                  Harlan
                  Timekeeper Watch Club
                  Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

• deerworrier
                    deerworrier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    2days trouble free! you got a good one mate.

After reading John's replies, I reckon he may be a lost cause. Not one, but two French cars of interest to him. I thought of him and this thread the other day as I watched an old episode of Top Gear, where they adapted a car for our older citizens. A lovely shade of hearing aid beige, and it even had some nice Shackleton high chairs installed (They're so easy to get in and out of, don't you know) Another episode that comes to mind as I write, is the "Peugeot driver"
                  Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

• deerworrier
                    deerworrier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    you make it sound like a negative thing?

i can say with 100% confidence that a Range Rover 4.6 HSE is a stoopid car to own by anyone's standards

X-trail is a good call and will be looking into that one. the French! nothing to be afraid of gents. most folks read the internet and see the horrors then run a mile, i am however quite happy to be elbow deep in stupid and in 99% of cases the jobs that cost a fortune at the service centres are easy fixes will a little research and the ability to have items posted from UK. classic case being my 4ltr rangy, the ecu shit itself so i asked W.R Phillips in NP to price a replacement....$2150 plus $450 fitting?? phoned the old man at home, he popped down to Inverness and got one for £240 posted it to me and i then carried out the complex procedure of lifting the bonnet, disconnecting the old unit, plug in new unit, close bonnet and drive off. the Citroen suspension is generally a rather simple system and the most common failures are seals and management systems, which for me present no issue.
                  the thinking behind the diesel car over a 4x4 is 55mpg against my current 12 or 30 in a newer 4x4. this should present enough of a saving in fuel alone the merit a GS as a reward i think petrols are out as the only thing im going to get with good mileage will be a crapbox.
                  the Citroen in question is a nonstarter, the dealer was a dubious bugger at best and none of the paperwork no.s matched the clock no.s so a quick walk away for me.
                  after some further workings the rangy adds up as fuel=$9k min, tyres=$1600 for a cheap set, 1service=$350 (parts sourced by me and done at home) very likely i will need to do some form of steering damper/trail rods or ball joint after 24k so by this point im easily up around the 13-14k mark. buy a Shackleton diesel around 5 + fuel, run it into the ground with minimum input from myself total around 8-9 sell it for 2.5 to 3 and i have a minimum in pocket of 7k which is a very nice GS and a wee break somewhere.
                  Im looking at the puggy tomorrow and will hunt an X-trail down but i'll probably end up in an S3 or XK
                  Last edited by deerworrier; 25-04-18, 09:11.

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier
                    i am rapidly approaching my 11yr in this god forsaken hell hole we call Noo Zulind
                    Mate. I’ve been stuck here for over 15yrs. Can’t find the bloody exit anywhere.

Have had one car for pretty much that whole time. Will be 15yrs in June since I bought the best 4wd diesel Nissan ever made.

Comment

same car for 15yrs!!! mate, you have a will of iron. I need a wee trip overseas, I'm starting to believe I live in the only place with mountains and lakes too!
                      funny how things seem to turn up when you need them, going to see a wee BMW 320d on Saturday morning. relatively cheap and v.low kms.

Comment

Working...
                      X