No announcement yet.

What's your snifter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to struggle through it John. Most of the whiskies I had never heard of and were ordinary at best. Thankfully I had a few Ardbegs waiting in the wings
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Originally posted by captainscarlet1 View Post
      Hope you enjoyed the Ardbeg John. That one is truly a majestic dram. :thumbup:
      Apparently it will be Christmas soon, so I reckon tis a good time to get into, what to my mind is............Jeremy Clarkson voice over............ The best kind of Advent calendar........................In the world

Attached files
      Sure beats the hell out of chocolates.:Up:
      'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	38549

Arrrrrr thats better, my favorite tipple, bought 3 bottles when i returned from Bali last week....should last me till the end of the month!!!!....damn & blast, its the 31st TODAY.......!
        While i'm not as good as i once was.....i'm as good once as i ever was.......!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouser View Post

Name:	
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	38549

Arrrrrr thats better, my favorite tipple, bought 3 bottles when i returned from Bali last week....should last me till the end of the month!!!!....damn & blast, its the 31st TODAY.......!
          End of the week.
          'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

Last of the Springbank 18yo. Need to get another bottle. Click image for larger version

Name:	1DB41E59-7588-4024-9903-FB2B1BD01F4D.jpeg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	40853

Comment

• harlansmart
              harlansmart commented
              Editing a comment
              Jesus that Whisky tastes good, I remember that...

• captainscarlet1
              captainscarlet1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmm!! Going to have to try that one

• Pauloz
              Pauloz commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my favourites. A great dram.

I'm enjoying this one at the mo. A bit of a sweet start...a bit of a green pine middle....a bit of a peaty end Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090152.JPG
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	42692

Comment

• captainscarlet1
              Editing a comment
              There's another one that I will have to try. So many whiskies........Only one liver

Just bought a Canadian brand, JP Wiser's.. It's not bad.. tastes OK. It's been manufactured for a few years, 1857 or there abouts... I'd recommend for the money. It's no Ardbeg, or Laphroag peaty burner, and it doesn't have the Jura lightness. But worth a go for the money.
            Silent souls leave .308 holes.

Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
              awaiting my return on Friday :mrgreen:

Attached files
              Touring the Highlands - wonderful place!! Just been through Orkney - had a quick peek at the Highland Park distillery - will try and check out a few more, not acquired a taste yet!

Comment

OMG! Hope the weather holds Pysched lucky man!

So my dad used to take us to Islay every year for holidays, it was always effing cold, normally not even in the middle of summer, raining and damp. We stayed in some God-forsaken “holiday” home with brown running water, water I later realised was sacred but made your Horlicks grey!

He used “pop” out every afternoon because it was fecking miserable and disappear for several hours and it wasn’t till later in life I realised we only went to bloody Islay because it was full of whisky distilleries.

When I hit my teens it was deemed socially acceptable for me to tag along with him, fishing in the morning and surprisingly enough a river within walking distance of a still! By the time I was 18 I think I had visited most of the distilleries in Scotland!

Possibly why my sister lives five minutes from the McLaren Vale “think”

Comment

• psyched
                  psyched commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, weather has been ordinary, but you don't come here for the weather eh? What a beautiful part of the world, and such lovely people with such an interesting and traumatic at times history - I can almost understand them now LOL

Sounds like a perfect holiday to me Brucy
                Well, the Mrs handed me this last night.

Name:	DSC03944.JPG
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	43026 I wonder what she wants

Comment

Something for the weekend? Mmmm, don't mind if I do

Name:	DSC03947.JPG
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	43206

Comment

How’s the Tomatin going Cap? It’s a nice drop that one!

I know some of the whisky snobs will knock this one, but there is a reason why most whisky sold in Scotland let alone the world is blended and it’s not because we’re all drunks and cheap... well maybe all drunks BUT some of the most expensive bottles of life water are blended Scotches and if it wasn’t for good quaffable blended plonk I would have nothing to put in my porridge!!!

I was gifted this last week and it would be completely rude and ill mannered not to make an effort to enjoy it.

I cracked it open last night with a glass and onto my second night running with it. I have to say it’s a smooth easy drinking drop that you can sit down at the end of the night with and comfortably drink. Not sip or swirl and admire like a single malt but drink and enjoy.

It’s full flavoured and the carbon charring adds a smoothness and smokiness normally reserved for peat filtering.

In Scotland it was common back in the day to order what was called a half and a half. Essentially a half pint of “heavy” which was a red ale and a half Gil of whisky. This was a common lunchtime drink and it would get knocked back fairly swiftly. When you put it into perspective that a Gil is the equivalent of 142 mls so a half Gil is is 1 tenth of a 750ml bottle thereabouts, it’s a serious lunchtime drop.

Where am I going with this? It was always a blended whisky because they are so bloody easy to drink!

If your after a easy drop that isn’t going to break the bank, this is not bad

Last edited by Brucy; 03-07-18, 21:20.

Comment

The Tomatin is pretty good Brucy. Quite light and fragrant. Not the heavy peaty stuff I'm used to. The Mrs told me it was $46 so I was pretty impressed with it at that price point. Then I got to thinking that maybe she wants me to cut down on my whisky spending.

Name:	DSC03948.JPG
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	43328 So I'm slumming it now with a Blend.
                      First time I've tried this one and imho is not worth half the money.

I will have to give the Grant's a go

Comment

Yeah not bad value for the money the Tomatin, not a standout either but a good price and easy to drink on a regular basis. mine is looking a tad empty!

Completely agree with you on the Blue, never been a big JW fan even at the basic level, there are so many more comparably priced whiskies at that red and black level that are good to drink and often offer a variety in drinking styles that make it interesting to explore

Comment

• captainscarlet1
                          Editing a comment
                          WOW!! Is that small shot of a subterranean horde of amber nectar I wonder.

This aint too foul! I'll struggle through it...no point grumbling.

Name:	P1090221.JPG
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	44070

Comment

• captainscarlet1
                          Editing a comment
                          That is a seriously nice dram. Not sure about the ice though
                      Working...
                      X