A question of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of time

Hi everybody, I have a question about Seiko automatic watches. I was thinking about buying one for everyday use but then I read online that they are accurate to within +/-15 seconds a day. Now to the uninitiated that sounds like a lot - I'm not sure I want to drop a grand on a watch that will need resetting maybe twice a week. Is this normal for automatic watches? If so, what are the other alternatives to replaceable batteries which keep reasonably accurate time? I thank you for your time, patience and expertise.

Remember it’s a plus and minus thing so there are swings and round abouts. To be fair some run either/or and if you remove at night how you place it can effect the gain or loss. Also that’s an extreme, most are a tad more accurate. They can also once bedded in usually be adjusted to a few seconds a day. Either by a watchmaker or yourself if you get the tools. So In practice the stated accuracy has a negligible impact in real life. Also like many things, more you pay, the better the movement and greater the accuracy. Grand Seiko is accurate to a few seconds a day or less and the quartz GS to a few seconds a year. Note to you have to reset the day every few months in any case which is as much as I’d ever reset an automatic… if I ever wore a single one for that long. Besides it’s far more fun having an auto and getting it just right than having a boring old digital!

Comment

What kb said... mechanical Seiko accuracy is generally plenty more than good enough - what model are you considering ?

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
      Also that’s an extreme, most are a tad more accurate.

They can also once bedded in usually be adjusted to a few seconds a day. Either by a watchmaker or yourself if you get the tools.

So In practice the stated accuracy has a negligible impact in real life.
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Based on what people have said on various platforms, Seiko seems to estimate their accuracy extremely conservatively and in most cases a lot of their higher end models would fall within COSC specs, and yet for the most part, they don’t advertise to have anywhere such accuracy for their mechanical models.

Comment

Hi Harlan - I love the Prospex Save The Ocean model. I really like the divers watches as I am a gentleman of substance and smaller watches get lost on my tree trunk wrists.

Comment

Perhaps you should consider the Solar,or Spring drive models , they are super accurate, and no batteries.

Comment

Spring Drive tends to cost maybe a wee tad more unfortunately.

But, plenty of watches about... possibly 25 Posts then list a WTB, looking for a good buy is 50%+ of the fun!

ARNIE Solar was decently priced recently on DROP (purchased aplenty/re-listed on local auction site for 2x cost

Again how vital is accuracy... timing any atmosphere reentry's, passenger train departures, or just eggs/carparks ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seiko-Prospex-Save-The-Ocean-Antarctica-Monster-SRPG57K1-Baby-Tuna-SRPG59K1-hands-on-2-2048x1367.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.3 KB ID:	70246
              Harlan
              Timekeeper Watch Club
              New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

The penguine feet on those dials are awesome. Just realised Seiko went back to a day date function and 4R movement for the Monster, I winder why they wound back the call to go to the 6R date only movement on the gen3?
                the new black monster does look pretty sweet….

Comment

Working...
                X