Drake Tugela dive watch - Now LIVE on Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drake Tugela dive watch - Now LIVE on Kickstarter

Hi everyone. I would like to introduce the Draken Tugela, now available on Kickstarter:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tic-dive-watch

Draken is a new watch company based in Auckland, New Zealand, and founded by South African designer Michael Blythe.

Inspired by the spirit of the Drakensberg - a mountain range of South Africa, Draken Watches aims to bring a unique dimension to watch design. The objective was to create a tough, dependable outdoors watch with a strong focus on design. It was also important that a unique identity and style developed to build on for future watches.

Its taken over a year to bring the debute watch to life - the Tugela. After 2 prototype stages its now available on Kickstarter.

Some more about the watch

It wasn't about building an affordable watch with good specs, but more about creating a watch that looked great and had a great wrist presence. It also needed to be a capable dive watch, and withstand the rigours of the outdoors - this ain't no office diver. The Tugela is rated for 300m water resistance.

The custom made case of the Tugela is aggressive looking with a bead blasted stainless steel case and beveled edges. The 120 click bezel comes in 3 colours - black, red and blue - with a lumed pip at the zero mark.

The Dial utilises Swiss C3 luminous paint and the date window is matched to the matt dial with the unique feature of having luminous numbers. Protecting the display is a sapphire crystal glass, with anti-reflective coating applied on the inside.

The Tugela comes standard with an genuine leather strap with quick release pins, plus a secondary matching nylon Zulu strap for more extreme activities.

Under the hood is the always reliable Seiko NH35A automatic movement, known for going up to 10 years before requiring a service.

Dimensions are as follows:

Lug to lug: 48.5mm
    Lugs: 22mm
    Thickness: 14mm
    Diameter: 42mm
    Crown diameter: 7mm

Please get in touch if you are in Auckland and would like to check out the prototype on person.
    http://www.drakenwatches.com

Attached files

You should come to the RedBar on the 3rd bud so people can manhandle them

Comment

Yep. Spoke to Jarrod. I'll be there with bells on.

Comment

That does look like a nice watch! It would have been nice to see an ETA movement in it but I also realise that these are getting hard for third-parties to obtain and it would cost substantially more if it had one. The one thing that has put me off cheaper automatic Seiko movements in the past is not their quality or reliability (which is fine) but the audible noise the rotor sometimes makes when being worn (basic ETA movements never seem to do that and are always completely silent). I'm not in Auckland so could someone report their impressions back here after handling the prototype?

Comment

That does look like a nice watch! It would have been nice to see an ETA movement in it but I also realise that these are getting hard for third-parties to obtain and it would cost substantially more if it had one. The one thing that has put me off cheaper automatic Seiko movements in the past is not their quality or reliability (which is fine) but the audible noise the rotor sometimes makes when being worn (basic ETA movements never seem to do that and are always completely silent). I'm not in Auckland so could someone report their impressions back here after handling the prototype?
          I haven't noticed the rotor noise at all. Its a pretty solid case which might help with that.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Comment

Love the watch.

I was born in Bethlehem OFS so the insparation for the watch is close to me.
            Also the shipping date being July , it should arrive close to my birthday.
            Can't be more "meant to be" haha.
            You have another backer.

Thanks TKNZ, would never have known about this otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X