Citizen Eco-Drive 1000m

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizen Eco-Drive 1000m

I know we aren't supposed to link to other forums and so on (so I won't) but there is a fine article on hodinkee today about the first solar powered dive watch rated to 1000m. Looks mighty cool and fairly priced.

Can't help but wonder if the oil-filled Eco-Zilla that I got from DW achieved this first tho...

Shall we do it? Harlan? Can it be pressure tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actively seeking Tuna of all shapes and sizes...to hunt your pride of lions...

Um...

I don't (think) that I know anyone with a pressure pot rated to 1km of pressure... mine go to 12.5 & 40 bar... the only way I can think of, is boosting offshore on the West Coast, I guess... yeah I could arrange that pretty easy, I have 1km of nylon etc

2 things irk, one is critical, one could be...

(1.) The West Coast if famous for its fishing... and, rightly so, as you state, that Citizen is a pretty tidy looking number = we would not want a big fat Tuna of the live form, to strike at it...

(2.) A pressure pot, like I have here, is NON-DESTRUCTIVE, we test to see if we can pressurise the case interior, then release, if bubbles come OUT, you see the leak (normally the glass gasket). But no water gets it. If your watch failed, then that means...

Seiko Quartz & Auto Tuna's pressured undersea off Japan to failure at just shy 5km and 6km respectively.

Actually, here you go kiddies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqoq3LIDmM

Attached files

Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

I have 4 hydro tests in the next 3months, 2 at 186barG and 2 at 264barg so 1860m and 2640m respectively. I'll be flinging the TST tuna in as I missed out last time around. the eco can go in too if you want.
      “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
      Always aim to be that man.

Comment

What type of apparatus is pressuring to that DW?

Comment

just a pipe full of water, a chart recorder and a wee pump.
          i'll get pictures of the set up but it doesnt need a big pump to create the pressures.

if you pop into any hire store and ask for an enerpac pump and you will have a hand pump capable of generating 700bar of pressure.
          build a shed40 cylinder with a bolt on top and sealed plunger and hey presto, 7000m of pressure :thumbup:

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

So... thats sounds simple... but we are talking... what... destructive testing though eh

Comment

nope, it's never a good idea to destroy the pipe you just spent 8weeks fabricating and placing in the ground! we test to 1.5x maximum operating pressure. the next time you think about just sticking the digger in the ground with a "she'll be right moment"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGgx-uyyvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlhKE0U9eI

Dial before you dig :thumbup:

Comment

Heavy Duty situations there... no, my question is this, you throw in Andy's watch & it fails, is the watch in any way harmed in your tester?

In my 2 x testers, if a watch fails, no harm is done, you get to see where it's leaking, generally you just change the gasket (crown, glass or back) and it will PASS.

Will Andy's watch be rooted if it fails in your tester?
                Harlan
                Timekeeper Watch Club
                Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Will Andy's watch be rooted if it fails in your tester?

yes, 280barG of pressure will rush in and crush anything not already fecked but it won't fail, I filled it with oil, the oil will compress at less than 0.00005% per bar of pressure applied and as the pressure increases the seals cant fail, nor the crystal as the oil acts as their support, if their is nowhere to deform to then the deformation doesn't happen, the most likely outcome is the movement stops and being solar id guess at the capacitor being destroyed like the battery in a standard quartz would be. any sealed plastics that the coils would wrap around will be obliterated but the case integrity has no reason to fail other than a design flaw.

Comment

Ah, thats right... ok lets say we stick in a ordinary watch, like say my 600m SBDB001...

Is this is tester for general use, or specialized lol...

I think it sounds quite destructive DW

Comment

Crazy

Comment

Latecomer, but that testing sounds fantastic DW. I'd Chuck my Vostok in that in a heartbeat.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Comment

All pressure tests with water have the potential to destroy your watch.

Comment

All pressure tests with water have the potential to destroy your watch.
                            Actually, that's incorrect. In a pressure tester, leaks will appear as bubbles. If it was the other way round, there wouldn't be much point in testing the watch.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Comment

Im just going off information like this http://watchfix.info/Presure%20Test/...0a%20watch.php

As with anything to reduce the risk make sure the operator is experienced

Comment

Working...
                              X