Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream List 7 watches for 7K USD

Hi Everyone

As way of an introductory post, I want to give everyone a taste of what I covet in "horological wrist ornamentation".

I have put together my "dream team" of watches based on the question:

"If I had a budget of 7,000 USD (or lets say 10,000 NZD) to buy 7 watches what would I buy."

My inspiration of this idea was from an article at http://www.onthedash.com. I modified the number of watches and budget to make the exercise a little more realistic for me.

I also chose watches: (1) I don't currently own; (2) would wear at least once a week and; (3) are a mix of vintage and new.

For pricing I assumed watches are all in very good to excellent condition.

I am really interested in seeing what fellow forum members would purchase on the same budget and hearing what others think of my picks.

Also some feedback on my price expectations would be good because I really want to go out and get them :D

My picks below:

Number 1 :
    Heuer Lemania 5100 86.100 Series Ref 510.503

1750 USD

Number 2:
    Heuer C.Regatta 134.600 Series

1750 USD

Number 3:
    Seiko "UFO" 6138-0011 automatic chronograph

375 USD

Number 4:
    Seiko "Bullhead" 6138-0040

375 USD

Number 5:
    Sinn 756S

1500 USD (second hand)

TO BE CONTINUED....

Attached files

Number 6
    Marathon GSAR automatic + bracelet

850 USD

Number 7
    Heuer Diver 1000 Series 980.xx

400 USD

Picture is 980.023 but I would love to pick up a full lume 32L but probably restricted by price.

Cheers

Gasmask

Attached files

Comment

"If I had a budget of 7,000 USD (or lets say 10,000 NZD) to buy 7 watches what would I buy."

Great open, Gasmask21 :thumbup:

I must say that it's very flattering when I find out that I've owned a few pieces that another WIS considers dream watches. Though at the same time, I'm kicking myself for having sold them. :cry:

Could I add to the criteria, so that it's even more realistic? ...If one were to buy new watches, even through ADs, there are the usual discounts. So, probably safe to say that if we were just working off just the MSRP (easier to research), then it would be possible to compile a list up to say US$8,750? This would not, obviously, include vintages, for which maybe eBay could provide a rough price. Just my 2c (so now, $7,000.02 :P )

I'll list mine later today.
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Hi Don

I reckon you can add a watch to the list with discount, if you are convinced you can acquire it for that price.

I might need to clarify the term dream. It is more like my "dream watch tempered by the bounds of my wallet". Still I would be a very proud man to have my "Magnificent Seven" (if only I could decide which one is Yul Brynner, or for the Japan based guys my Kambei Shimada).

Gasmask21

Comment

...It is more like my "dream watch tempered by the bounds of my wallet"...

...true.

I found this exercise rather hard ops: ...I've always kept a list of what you to as "The Magnificent Seven", but I call my "Dream Team" However, I've been in the habit of dreaming more than I can realistically achieve, so two of the watch I had on the list, each by themselves, blow the US$7k budget :roll:

So, I had to really think. For me, wearing a piece for 2 days in a row, cleaning, and then putting it away until the following week is the way I prefer most. They'd be all mechanical, and I'd probably go for an even split (in number, not price) between Swiss and Japanese. Realistically, I don't think I'd own any more than 2 from the same brand. There should also be, ideally, a chronograph, a diver, a dress watch, a GMT, and vintages of both Swiss and Japanese makes.

Alas, I failed and could not manage to come up with what I want, and still not compromise on what I really want. So, here's what I listed. I'm working on the full MSRP, and expect an AD discount of around 10-20%. There's only 5, but it would fit in with my week comfortably, including one "beater" to wear in the kitchen etc. All prices are full retail.

IWC Pilot's Watch Chronograph Ref. IW371701

US$4,400

Breitling SuperOcean Heritage

US$3,535 ...on mesh straps

1990s Mido Commander Ocean Star DatoDay

~US$300 ...(for Near-Mint and above). This one is of personal significance, and I already own the watch above, but am factoring in its cost.

Seiko Automatic Diver's 200m SKX779 "Black Monster"

US$280

Seiko Automatic Chronograph 6138-8020 "Panda"

~US$240 (in Excellent condition and up) ...to substitute for the 6138-8000, which I can no longer fit into the budget.
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

"If I had a budget of 7,000 USD (or lets say 10,000 NZD) "

For me this is easy to sort out ,But hard to achieve :roll:
            Although its does not involve 7 specific watches
            First up is the Seiko SBDX001 $4000 nzd

second
            SEIKO SBDX005 $3500 nzd

Thats leaves $2500 which covers the rotation of the current collection
            Which , although never stops rotating is beginning to settle and take shape
            Now if the DOC didn't get me started on malts I just might have them by now
            Yeah Right !!!!!!

Attached files

Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Here’s a shameless attempt to provide a Russian alternative to the wonders posted above. Here is my ammended Russian “back-four” – coming in at under $1,000 US. 1st MWF, Chistopol, and Peter’s Palace lineage on show here:

1) Sturmanskie “Ocean” Remake - $400 US

2) Vostok Amphibia “1967” - $270 US

3) Vostok K-34 - $160 US

4) Raketa 24hr World Time - $80 US

Comment

We're not done with this Dream List yet (hopefully )... I'd been talking about this list with a good friend of mine, and he has emailed me his Dream List today, which I've obtained his permission to post and share.

Here are the watches on this US$5k list:

CWC Royal Marine Special Boat Service Issue Diver

Marathon GSAR, with bracelet. About $US 870.00 all up. (he already owns this one)

MkII Watches Blackwater. Now discontinued, but I figure still "getable" or I could substitute the newer Paradive at $US1,150.00.

Precista 300 Automatic Diver (PRS14), GB Pounds 390.00.

And to round out the list I'll spend whatever is left on a classic Seiko 6105, the condition will affect the cost, of course.

Hope to see some of your Dream Lists soon! ...(come on, guys--girls too--it's fun. All the decision and frustration of the real thing, but without the cash outlay )

Comment

Working...
                X