Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Bulova Precisionist watches available in NZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Bulova Precisionist watches available in NZ?

From this thread.. http://www.network54.com/Forum/64223...6gt%3B%26gt%3B

Seems that the sweep second hand might be smoother than the Spring Drive.. could that be possible and in a quartz watch too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86nd...eature=related

Cheers
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Tony, I've been following this for some time--since its launch at Bazel in earlier this year (weird that I'm more a mechanical watch freak, but tend to read more about development in quartz technology). Though I've just seen the thread that you've posted above.

A lot of posters on that thread are confused about the frequency of the tuning fork movement, which keeps time, and the frequency of the "tick" in the hand. In this Bulova, the second hand was actually "engineered" to sweep smoothly. Bulova designed the movement, and Citizen (Bulova's parent company) designed the glide. "Glide" is probably not the right word, as it actually still ticks 16 times per sec. A vintage Grand Seiko 6145 36000 already had a second hand that ticks 10 times per sec, and that's not all that much different . I've seen videos of the hand on this Bulova, and you can still see the "tick" quite clearly. The Seiko Spring Drive actually glides smoother, and even an ESA 9162 in vintage Omega f300, though humming at much lower frequency, has a second hand that sweep smoother. I've just had a NOS 9162-equipped Sevil et Titus sitting here the week before last, and I'd say it glides almost as smoothly as a Spring Drive. The new Bulova movement is non-thermocompensated, and it's still to be seen whether it can hold up the claimed accuracy range.

The positive side that I'm really happy to see someone digging up the old tuning fork, which I'd assumed had seen its days, and revolutionize it to the point of what will now be the most accurate new watch that one can buy under a grand. +/- 10 sec per year is not bad at all for the asking price. Bulova claimed at Bazel that this to be "the world’s most accurate watch" (but we know better here ). I think it puts HEQ accuracy range within reach of more people, and that by itself is great.

I hope to see this movement powering a Citizen mid-range dress watch, with 6R15 build quality. Then, we could all get a budget-priced Chronomaster. :D
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

The new (and old) Bulova's are cool but they are sorry to say, 'tickers' - jut like your Corner Dairy Owners Rolex, tickers. I'd be very surprised if the non-TC calibre they are using is actually as accurate as claimed (as the Sensei touches on)... as for the 9162 in Dons Sevil et Titus, I'll back my Glide Tool and say:

Glide King has the crown - he will take on 'All comers' in the Glide Stakes - feed him a Bulova and a Titus NOW!!

+1 Sensei - I am all, 100% for having more stuff like this available... like you although most of the pieces I have has are pure mechanical; the others are more interesting - those Suisse nutters have spent too long in the Marketing Dept. and have fogotten perforance is the name of the game... oh, and GLIDING. Tickers do not diplay time - only animals like Spring Drive equipped timepieces do so. Fact. Painful Fact.

I'm really happy to see someone digging up the old tuning fork, which I'd assumed had seen its days, and revolutionize it to the point of what will now be the most accurate new watch that one can buy under a grand. +/- 10 sec per year is not bad at all for the asking price. Bulova claimed at Bazel that this to be "the world’s most accurate watch" (but we know better here ). I think it puts HEQ accuracy range within reach of more people, and that by itself is great.
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Working...
      X