• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first to fall apparently

Picked up this bit of news on the net.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...-c/651560.html

The sign of things to come?
    “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

I thought it might be the end of the world as we know it when Tata bought Jaguar, but in fact Jag has been going from strength to strength. So lets see what this brings...

Comment

Time will tell what's in store for Corum now but judging from the Eterna purchase, Haidan might not rock the boat and just keep the brand as it is. Let's see.

Comment

Never heard of Haidan before...but i'm willing to bet they are buying swiss brands for the technical knowledge and brand equity.

Comment

Never heard of Haidan before...but i'm willing to bet they are buying swiss brands for the technical knowledge and brand equity.

Agreed - while Asia may have the manpower (multiple times) the name of a "Swiss Made" piece will always hold reputation. Will be interesting to see other firms snap up the swiss

Comment

Since Rolex & all the other Suisse outfits agreed to be able to make much of the watch outside their hallowed borders does it really matter an iota where something is made or who owns it. Swiss Made means a small portion is 'Swiss Made'. Kobolds USA owned, Bremonts UK owned why would it be different now for Corum?

What difference does location of ownership make... I get confused - are people afraid China will buy the Swiss Watchmaking Industry, and simply delete it?

Who owns all the high end euro sports car manufactures?
            Harlan
            Timekeeper Watch Club
            New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Who owns all the high end euro sports car manufactures?
              Good Question
              Ferrari , Fiat
              Lambo , VW
              Maserati , Merged with Alfa Romeo under the parentage of. . . . Fiat
              Who Owns Fiat ???? The Banks apparently The Financial Times estimate of Fiats debt is almost €28 billion.and counting so don't hold your breath that there will be many more "Euro sports cars"
              I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

I am always amazed, that so many of us choose to buy such a lovely variety of watches :thumbup:

So, anyway, is there reason to suspect Corum will be better off, or worse off, what normally happens? You can have the same machines, the same plans, same operators, same quality targets/controls, same raw materials in timbuktoo, mosgiel or chamonix what difference does it make to any given output?

I will add, if I may as a bit of peripheral meaningless beta, while I am not a fan of 'ordinary boxsets, prefering things like DOXA extruded tubes, UTS PeliCases & Bremont leather rolls the Corum DeepHull boxset is insane, heavy real timber beautifully finished, silk cloths, special Corum key... all which makes Panerai & Kobold look & feel 'cheep'
                Harlan
                Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Well, I remember in the late 70s or early 80s that a Japanese company purchased a motorcycle company with history. The Japanese company even deigned to improve on the antiquated engine design of said motorcyle company. The result was that the workers proceeded to sabotage the product (dirt in the engine & other nasty tricks) and before long Harley Davidson (Hardly Able Son) were back firmly in the hands of the Americans. Interestingly there are a large percentage of Japanese parts on your new Hardly and judging from their AMAZING ability to extract such pitiful horsepower out of such a HUGE engine they should have stayed in foreign ownership

Who knows what might be in store for Corrum in the future, maybe motorcycle workers are crazier than watch makers but as Bob Dylan once said, the times, they are a changing
                  \"Everyone needs a hobby\" James Bond, Skyfall

Comment

'Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.'
                    Harlan
                    Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

'Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.'

I wonder what the horological equivalent would be.... Invicta or something much more expensive perhaps
                      \"Everyone needs a hobby\" James Bond, Skyfall

Comment

Hmm,

What ARE the most overpriced & underperforming wrist watches?
                        Harlan
                        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Hmm,

thats easy, anything more than $20 is overpriced for its performance :D
                          “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
                          Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Hmm,

Love it Harlan If responses to that question get going it might make for an interesting thread
                            Might hinge on what factors you include in "performance"...
                            Accuracy? Looks? Bling factor? Construction quality? Movement innovation? Association with famous people? etc etc. One persons performance concept is another mans non event.
                            “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

Probably a fair comment... ok...still I would suggest that in terms of performance & complications serviceability durability etc there is no way the Euro's can match Asia's offerings, I mean lOOk at twhat you get from an Orient for $200 and then compare what it costs to get decent looks performance AND power reserve w/GP for instance?

Lets face it, many of the parts making up your Swiss timepiece have been getting made in Asia for decades, and is it falling apart, no of course not like (said above) its probably better for it!!

So, do we honestly care where things are actually made, I think not... well if we do/did/have done/will in future we'd close our eyes & ears and repeat over & over the 2 small words at the bottom, which technically are true due to their sneaky swiss ways, but really it should read 'Swiss Made Semi Sort Of

Hmm,

thats easy, anything more than $20 is overpriced for its performance :D
                              Harlan
                              Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Working...
                              X