Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed.. How do I remove a broken stem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed.. How do I remove a broken stem??

Hi all,

Got a Roamer 521 Searock that I am wanting to fix for a friend to pass on to one of his sons.. The stem has broken inside and I can see no easy way of getting it out.. Here is the movement info..

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... wk&MST_521

Really don't want to start pulling apart as this one isn't a watch I want to 'experiment' with for learning..

Please advise..

Cheers
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Hi Tony.
    The stem release on that model looks to be the small hole in the bridge right by where the stem comes out of the movement. Poke something sharp into that and you should be able to extract it. Most stems release in the 'in' position, and others need to be in the date or handset position. I'm not sure which that would be, but probably in.

Of course you still have to be able to grab the broken stem somehow to pull it out. If it isn broken off flush, then best send it to a professional as the hands, dial, date mech, and setting levers may need to come off first.

Good luck.
    Blair.
    "Even a broken clock is right two or three times a day." -- Goofy.

Comment

Thanks, Blair..

I figured that was the case.. stem broken off at the point where nothing to get hold of.. I was hoping the watch experts might have had some special 'sticky stuff' that you stuck on the end of a toothpick or something to pull the stem out with when this happens.. or some way that it would just drop out when the right button was pushed..

Cheers
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

Ey up Tony, if there is some thread left you may be able to get a stem extender on it, depending on where it's snapped. The collar is threaded inside to go on to an existing stem in case you aren't familiar with them. I have a spare tap 8 and 10 you are welcome to if you need them :thumbup:

Attached files

Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Do you have the rest of the stem and crown?
          A lot of the Roamers, including the Searocks use a split stem arrangement.
          Blair is right - press the stem release button in the hole you can see just to the left of the stem in the top photo on the Ranfft site.
          I am currently working on the auto date version of this movement - the 522

Image of split stem arrangement can be found on this link (hopefully :? ):
          http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/G ... itstem.jpg

You may be able to carefully press the stem release button and use a bit of blue tack to pull out the remainder of the stem.
          PM me if you need a hand.
          I\'m not saying kill all the stupid people. I\'m just saying remove all the warning labels and the problem will sort itself out.

Comment

Do you have the rest of the stem and crown?
            Blair is right - press the stem release button in the hole you can see just to the left of the stem in the top photo on the Ranfft site.
            I am currently working on the auto date version of this movement - the 522

Image of split stem arrangement can be found on this link (hopefully :? ):
            http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/G ... itstem.jpg

You may be able to carefully press the stem release button and use a bit of blue tack to pull out the remainder of the stem.
            PM me if you need a hand.

Unfortunately, my elderly friend has lost the crown and stem that fell out and thinks it unlikely that he will find it with his eyesight..

Cheers
            Tony Lewis
            New Zealand

Comment

If that is the case is it just the female post or male post that remains in the movement

Comment

Normally the male part remains in the movement when the crown and female half is removed.
                I\'m not saying kill all the stupid people. I\'m just saying remove all the warning labels and the problem will sort itself out.

Comment

Normally the male part remains in the movement when the crown and female half is removed.

But surely, in that case I would expect to see the end of the stem poking out the side of the movement.. This is not the case here..
                  Tony Lewis
                  New Zealand

Comment

It may well be the case that the dial etc has to come off.

Comment

Right then, here's how I see it. (Correct me if I'm wrong guys :thumbup: ) If the male part is still in the movement and the female part with crown is lost you may be able to hook out the remaining part with a 'female post'. Bear in mind that usually, if these stems fail, they fail at the male/female connection (Probably due to over zealous winding over time) so there will probably be a chunk of that connection floating around in the movement, assuming it is damaged at all. The connection usually occurs within the movement plates which I understand is a design feature which helps to keep the two components in place.

Comment

Generally I find if the male part is still in the watch then you can usually get the whole movement out of the case and extract the stem quite easily. You should be able to easily see the male end of the stem in the case tube. Poke something into the tube to push the stem into the hand set position and see if you can lever the movement out from the 9 o'clock side.

Comment

Generally I find if the male part is still in the watch then you can usually get the whole movement out of the case and extract the stem quite easily. You should be able to easily see the male end of the stem in the case tube. Poke something into the tube to push the stem into the hand set position and see if you can lever the movement out from the 9 o'clock side.

The movement easily comes out of the case.. So this is really looking like a job for the professionals.. Normally would just take dial off myself, but given that I want to be able to give this back to my elderly friend to pass on to one of his sons, I think I will get it done for me..
                          Tony Lewis
                          New Zealand

Comment

Bugger... decided in a fit of madness to try to get the remains of the stem out.. Success... But and it is a big but, I think I managed to remove some teeth from one of the 'wheels' the stem goes through.. ops: the one that is closer to the middle of the watch movement.. that is unless the missing teeth caused the problem in the first place..

All not lost as Cousins in UK has parts.. so what is the name of that little second wheel that the stem goes through.. I am guessing it is called a clutch wheel..

I guess this sort of madness of mine is why my sister after 40 years has still not stopped having me on about the spinning top I managed to pull apart and not put back together when she was a toddler..
                            Tony Lewis
                            New Zealand

Comment

It's the clutch wheel or sliding pinion - depending on what side of the world you are on.

Comment

Working...
                              X