No announcement yet.

The Incoming thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right.. Time for some commentary on the Bulova Moon Watch..

Movement: High Performance Quartz
    Case Diameter: 45 mm
    Case Thickness: 13.5 mm
    Water Resistance: 50M

Bulova has been a leader in watch technology for a number of years. Based in the US it provided watches to the military and later timing instruments for NASA. Most known for the outstanding Accutron tuning fork watches it was eventually bought by Citizen Japan. In recent years the company has produced high performance quartz watches including the Precisionist line.

By 1971, Omega was the brand of choice for watches bought by NASA for their astronauts. Meanwhile, Bulova timing instruments were used within the space programme. The story goes that David Scott who was to command Apollo 15 was given a Bulova chronograph to take with him. This was an unofficial arrangement. He wore the Bulova while on the Moon. The watch sold recently at auction for $US 1.6 mil.

This commerative watch is an official 'replica' of that watch. It uses the newer high performance quartz movement with a three prong fork oscillating at 262kHz. Standard quartz oscillate at 32 kHz.

The case is beadblasted, the chrono pushers are polished and the bezel is brushed. The crystal is of AR sapphire. The dial is layered with the subdial's and chapter ring below the level of the main dial. The tachymeter ring is elevated. This gives a real sense of depth.

The subdial at 3 is for 10ths of a second. It spins rapidly for the first 30secs after starting the chronograph. When the chronograph is stopped the 10th secs hand spins round to the current reading. The subdial at 9 measures up to 60 minutes. The chronograph function stops once 60 mins is reached. The subdial at 6 is for seconds and beats at 2 bps. The sweep of the chronograph main seconds hand is not as smooth as my other Bulova but is fine nonetheless. When you reset the chronograph the main seconds hand fly's back smoothly around to 12. I suspect these features relate to maximizing the battery life.

At RRP of $US550 this is a very well featured watch, especially given that if you look around you can purchase it for less.

As a child of the Space Age, even though turning 60, this watch commemorates that wonderful time in world history when we all thought that great things were possible. Arthur C Clarke had written that once mankind reached space they would look down on the Earth and realise how petty the squabbles between nations really are. I still look forward to a future where that is reality and we can all live in peace or as Spock put it - 'live long and prosper'

Please feel free to provide comment on any areas of inaccuracy as I am no expert on this.

Cheers

Finally, someone posted a movement pic..

Cheers
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Comment

• While waiting for the arrival of the HKED Bundeswehr, i made a strap for it..

Cheers
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

• Very nice Tony

Comment

• i have the strap for it with me or you could put the Bulova on it.
          bring your spring bar removal kit on wednesday.
          “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
          Always aim to be that man.

Comment

• A new strap addition that I thought would make Speedmaster Pro more authentic...back to the Apollo/Skylab era with genuine vintage velcro! The most expensive piece of Velcro I've ever bought (or ever will!)

In a little sealed baggie from the NASA techs:

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• How cool is that Spock...!
              Great way to make your Speedy stand out from the crowd.
              I shudder to ask how much you had to pay for it!
              My karma ran over your dogma

Comment

• Yeah, it's very cool but a total extravagance!

On the wrist:

And the underside with authentic typeface, part no. and serial no. details relating to actual NASA specifications:

The effort gone into this little Velcro strap by the maker to ensure its authenticity, from the vintage Velcro stock, colour of the fabric, the typewriter font and ink, to the physical dimensions and construction make it a special piece and worth the price of entry.

It'll even make perfect sense to strap a Bulova Moonwatch to the wrist with one of these...just sayin'!

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• Very cool Spock

It's almost like that free Bulova strap that comes with the watch I prefer the olive drab on yours though!

Picked this up the other day.. hoping it's going to scratch my itch for a SARG009 for a while. Now that their discontinued the price has gone through the roof

Comment

• Very cool Spock

It's almost like that free Bulova strap that comes with the watch I prefer the olive drab on yours though!

Picked this up the other day.. hoping it's going to scratch my itch for a SARG009 for a while. Now that their discontinued the price has gone through the roof

Just nabbed myself a SARG011 secondhand!

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• Saw that... the one from Whangarei! Good price if it comes through. 26 feedback was a bit low for me not to pick up. The 11's are sitting at $600US new, scarce secondhand, but some sites have them up at $1200 now. Wait for it to settle down a bit I think

Comment

• Saw that... the one from Whangarei! Good price if it comes through. 26 feedback was a bit low for me not to pick up. The 11's are sitting at $600US new, scarce secondhand, but some sites have them up at $1200 now. Wait for it to settle down a bit I think
                        The seller is a Redbar member...I took a punt on the positive feedback selling (and buying) and the fact he'd bought it from Seiyajapan (no logic there, but clearly someone who knows JDM Seiko watches!) Really can't believe prices have soared!!

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• It pays to know

Comment

• Yes yes,,, but? :D :D

Attached files

'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

• Oooohhh

Comment

• Wow! Where did you find that?

Comment