No announcement yet.

oil filling a quartz.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any update on how your TST is going? Assume all is good?

Comment

Also keen on seeing how "hydrozilla" is holding up?

Comment

Me too,I want to bribe John into modding my Zilla. I really need a source for tritium tubes also
        By all means do today the things you have always done,just remember why you can. Marknz

Comment

read this and went straight to the drawer to check its currently -9sec since I came home so just under 2spw dropped and holding steady.
          no visible detriment to the lume or dial yet, that's now around seven months and no signs of any ill effect so I would say a success can be declared.
          I actually need to sit down at some point a write up a wee blurb for John B as he asked me too.

zilla is not so good, oil is in and fine, no leaks or issues with lume or crown holding but the eo drive doesn't seem to have the same Oumph as the torquie seiko and it is losing nearly .5sec per day. I think if I could be arsed I could shell out for the thinner oil but its another 2k for a drum and im not that interested I will give the zilla a full charge when the sun comes back in November and see if its the charge levels but I cant see it is these are trickle regulated so a more charged capacitor wouldn't have any bearing on output but its worth eliminating.

as for other folks homers, I have 18ltrs left and its not a hard thing to do so if anyone wants to give it a go PM me and Ill send a wee bit of oil out.

focusing on the gmt version at the moment, I have a perpetual gmt quartz movement and a rolex gmt hand all packaged up and its going to nick to see if he can make square pegs fit in round holes. im hoping it will be an easy bodge and if all works out I will have a seiko TST, quartz, oil filled, GMT watch no. 1 of 1 before too long

Attached files

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
          Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Thanks DW. Actually giving my TST a whirl today at the office - and got 2 comments about it already!

Seriously doing the mine as well. Was thinking of getting the lume redone on the hands and dial and then oiling it.

Attached files

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              the perfect example of how an old beat up watch can look way cooler than a shiny new one :thumbup:

im going to sit this weekend and do the write up of the project from start to finish for John and if anyone is interested or missed out first time around im thinking about doing another wee run as I would seem to have feck all else to do for the next 6-8weeks :cry: so get to digging out your old and knackereds gents :thumbup:

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

Great idea John. I'll be in if I can find a watch but if push comes to shove can always pick up a new SKX from Creation.

Just for the info of newbies or those thinking about the TST project the following may be useful.

Case's that can be used are 6309-7040 (7049), 6309-7290, 7548-700X, 7C43-7000, 7002, SKX.

And John (deerworrier) did a fab job of coordinating at this end.

Attached files

“I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

!@#$ Me - was just about to post if anyone was interested in getting together a few cases for another TST run and catching up on threads before posting then read this... I assume the last 2 posts refer to another run of TSTs being organised? I was specifically thinking about an oil filled TST actually - some sort of high vis, easily read dial and new bezel - was going to go all out personally on modding the sucker - a little like the long rumoured TST GMT that some chap is meant to be doing... Looked at the yobokies sandwich dials this morning even - not sure how that would work with oil but worth a shot.

I'm in for one case if that is the case - the arse ridden one can arrange it again???

Comment

Great idea John. I'll be in if I can find a watch but if push comes to shove can always pick up a new SKX from Creation.

Just for the info of newbies or those thinking about the TST project the following may be useful.

Case's that can be used are 6309-7040 (7049), 6309-7290, 7548-700X, 7C43-7000, 7002, SKX.

And John (deerworrier) did a fab job of coordinating at this end.
                    I saw a post that John (the UK one) (actually both are Poms???) may be looking at doing other cases - like the SKX031 so he may even be looking at a slightly smaller overall case diameter which may open up some options - also the crown and 3 would be interesting.

Comment

im catching up with John this week and will see what kind of time scale we could work to and what options are available and post a big old thread to get us started again. plenty of time for folks to gather together whatever they need/want. be good to get 10 or so of us again. we shall see what John says and where he is up to and go from there. more shenanigans :thumbup:
                      the GMT TST is currently with Nick in Chch who is somehow working his magic and making 2+2=3.141!

and fyi, typed in a friendly manner (I hate typing statements where no visual signs can be seen), please don't refer to me as a "pom" I find it as derogatory as Pakeha

Comment

read this and went straight to the drawer to check its currently -9sec since I came home so just under 2spw dropped and holding steady.
                        no visible detriment to the lume or dial yet, that's now around seven months and no signs of any ill effect so I would say a success can be declared.
                        I actually need to sit down at some point a write up a wee blurb for John B as he asked me too.

zilla is not so good, oil is in and fine, no leaks or issues with lume or crown holding but the eo drive doesn't seem to have the same Oumph as the torquie seiko and it is losing nearly .5sec per day. I think if I could be arsed I could shell out for the thinner oil but its another 2k for a drum and im not that interested I will give the zilla a full charge when the sun comes back in November and see if its the charge levels but I cant see it is these are trickle regulated so a more charged capacitor wouldn't have any bearing on output but its worth eliminating.

as for other folks homers, I have 18ltrs left and its not a hard thing to do so if anyone wants to give it a go PM me and Ill send a wee bit of oil out.

focusing on the gmt version at the moment, I have a perpetual gmt quartz movement and a rolex gmt hand all packaged up and its going to nick to see if he can make square pegs fit in round holes. im hoping it will be an easy bodge and if all works out I will have a seiko TST, quartz, oil filled, GMT watch no. 1 of 1 before too long
                        Bumping this thread as opposed to a PM for any other interested chaps and also to keep it running as an info source.

How is the TST going in its oil bath? Any lime degradation? Still ticking along?

Comment

ill sit tomorrow and do a wee write up. i was supposed to do a full story for tiger john but im waiting on Nick to pull a rabbit out of his bum and make my idiotic ideas become reality

just went to drawer and got the oil filled for a pic and time check (no idea the last time i checked, probably the ref above)...

currently running at -6sec so i much have reset it at some point but it would have been ages ago :thumbup:

pic below would show a big fat Zero in the lume degradation front :D

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                          X