Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHINESE WATCHES SEAGULLS....(Further Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like vanilla, you like chocolate...and we can agree to disagree. If anyone feels offended, I'll buy them a beer next time there is a meetup.
    thanks very much ,I'll have a pint of lager
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

This thread has been split and moved to the General Watch Forum, where members can continue to exchange ideas in response to http://timekeeper.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=927 (now locked).

The decision was base on:

1. The above topic reside in the Reference / Review section of the forum, where the information presented can benefit other forum members, current and future. As with all reviews, it is expected that the author provides his/her own evaluation or opinion, and readers, whether current or future, can form their own judgment.

2. The reviewer has put in considerable time and effort to present watches, for which they receive no financial compensation, and thus deserve the floor. Disagreement can be expressed, but must be done respectfully and with decent rebuttal that is of sound logic. Disagreement that is not directly related to the timepiece being review, be it ideology or otherwise, has no place on the Reference / Review thread.

Thank you.
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

As the author of the said review in question I thank the Moderator for his consideration and
        solution of the matter, as it was getting away from what the review was intended to achieve.

Why is it written "Sea-Gull" rather than "Seagull".

That to me, kind of sums of chinese watches for me.
        Now, seeing this has now become an 'open' discussion I would like to put forward what I consider
        a reasonably simple answer to the above reasonably simple 'question' re "Sea Gulls" & "Seagulls" :?
        I don't see this to be a 'heavy' discussion and so I ask that this is accepted as lightly as it's offered :D

In common usage, members of various "gull" species are often referred to as "gulls", "sea gulls" or "seagulls".
        These names are all used by the layman to refer to a common local species or all "gulls" in general.

If at all interested, this is only some of the 80 or so "gull" species of the sea (All often informally called "seagulls")
        Pacific Gull
        Black-tailed Gull
        Common Gull or Mew Gull
        Great Black-backed Gull
        Kelp Gull, (called "Southern Black-backed Gull" or "Karoro" in New Zealand)
        Yellow-footed Gull
        Yellow-legged Gull
        Slaty-backed Gull
        Lesser Black-backed Gull
        etc...... etc........

Then there is the Chinese Watch, formally called, (and Trade Marked as), "SEA-GULL". (Aha!)
        ("Don wrote:......... “Sea-Gull” is what is referred to as a proper noun, as in a name of a person or a
        place, (or a Trade Mark), and can be spelt whatever way the owner of the name, (or Trade Mark), likes)

The Tianjin Watch Factory successfully developed the first 100% Chinese designed and built wristwatch, the Dong Feng (East Wind).
        Approval for export was granted in 1973. The name East Wind was recognized as too political for the international market, so the caseback
        logo of a (East Wind) windswept sea had a flying "gull" added to it and the dial signed "SEA-GULL". This was the first exported Chinese watch.

With all due respect, "that to me, (hopefully), kind of sums up".... "Gulls", "Sea Gulls", "Seagulls" &/or "SEA-GULL's" :D ........... Will 8-)
        The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Comment

I like vanilla, you like chocolate...and we can agree to disagree. If anyone feels offended, I'll buy them a beer next time there is a meetup.

Absolutely!

And as for the justification for "Sea-Gulls", thats quite a stretch.
          So perhaps the people who produce the "Sea-Gulls" watch are ardent students of english and diction. I think a simpler explanation would be that the same guy who came up with the watch name is the same guy who came up with the name of this clinic:

cheers!

Comment

Absolutely!

So perhaps the people who produce the "Sea-Gulls" watch are ardent students of english and diction. I think a simpler explanation would be that the same guy who came up with the watch name is the same guy who came up with the name of this clinic:

cheers!

Whats the address..
            'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

You should know Paul HMB is not far from Howick
              I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

So perhaps the people who produce the "Sea-Gulls" watch are ardent students of english and diction.
                That's it! As far as I'm concerned this "Further Discussion" has become totally pointless and is no longer a "Discussion"........

As for the justification for "Sea-Gulls" being quite a stretch, it wasn't "justification" it was in fact taken from Wikipedia. Maybe they're wrong?

Also I'd have no doubt that the people producing "Sea-Gulls" would more so, be ardent students of english and diction than some people in NZ. (Although I admit that I fail to understand the relevence of that 'quoted statement' in relation to the point in so-called Discussion. What the..?)

IMO, it stops being "Further Discussion" when it's implied quite seriously that, "I'm right, you're wrong". I'd rather keep to watches and humour.
                The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Comment

That's it! As far as I'm concerned this "Further Discussion" has become totally pointless and is no longer a "Discussion"........

huh? How? I made it pretty clear in my last post that this is just good discussion with no hurt feelings.

As for the justification for "Sea-Gulls" being quite a stretch, it wasn't "justification" it was in fact taken from Wikipedia. Maybe they're wrong?

Here is the wikipedia article:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-Gull

I don't see anything besides:
                  The Tianjin Sea-Gull Watch Company (also simply known as Sea-Gull) is a Chinese company that manufactures watches. Originally founded in 1955, they are the largest watch industry group in China.

IMO, it stops being "Further Discussion" when it's implied quite seriously that, "I'm right, you're wrong". I'd rather keep to watches and humour.

Sure, we all have our own tastes. I'd rather keep to watches and truth. A beer on me next time we meet.

Comment

Working...
                  X