Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting ur kind advice - Panerai

Hi all on Sunday night,

It's been a busy week for me with not just work but watch ideas too. Never tend to change my mind so quickly and often, so I was quite surprised about myself too.

Some people may still remember when I posted my newbie introduction, I said I would like a Breitling Navitimer at some stage as my next piece, don't get me wrong I still would like a piece, but it's just not my next one now.

I have friend who's a big fan of Panerai Luminors, from memory I've never seen him wearing any other brands. At the beginning, I didn't quite get it as I don't like the shape that much. Had dinner with him a couple of weeks ago, saw him with a new one again in Matt Black. My attention was attracted for the whole night from the piece, I had no idea why. The next day, I started doing my research on this brand. The more I dig into, the more I like it, doesn't matter it's the Luminor model or the Radiomir model, just can't help myself again.

I've been to Partridge today to check out some pricing, so it's easier for me to set my goal. Lucky enough they have a few models in stock, tried a few on my wrist, it made things even worse. I just want one, but would like to seek some professional advice from you guys being the experienced ones in regards to this brand, what to watch out, what Pam no to look into, other pros n cons. Appreciate your kind assistance as it's going to help me make up my mind easier.

A couple of side stories. 1st being Partridge is looking at doing trade ins now, but details were yet to be confirmed as the watch manager I know is not there today. Will find out more on Tuesday and update here if that's true.The reason for this was coz I was talking to a sales when I was checking out the Panerai, I said if I can get rid of my Omega Seamaster Aqua Tarra and my Longines Legendary Diver, I will buy one before I travel so I can pick up the Panerai with my Rolex at the same time, saves the airport fee. But I said we don't have a place like the Watch Finders UK to sell your old ones. She said to me that it was in their internal news that they will start the trade in business, and told me to check with her manager when he returns to work on Tuesday. So if the trade in is a true case, I will complete my mission earlier than I expected.

2nd side story being I was searching "Panerai" on the forum, one post came up was a FS of a Magrette piece. The Micro Brand caught my eyes straightaway. Went to the Magrette website had a look around, they make a lot of the cushion case watches, and the Dual Time in Matt Brown with Brown Dial caught my eyes straightaway. After 1 more day of research of the brand, I've ordered a piece last night to satisfy my collection again. Can't wait for it to arrive next week. Will post some photos here when I get it as can't find any wrist photos of this color on Google anywhere, since most people went for the stainless steel models instead.

That's me tonight. The only thing I haven't quite work out is how to explain to my wife about the Magrette as she knows nothing about the purchase yet. I have been approved for the Panerai project with the trade in idea, hope the Magrette purchase is not going to mess things up.

Have a great Sunday night everybody, and thank you in advance for your inputs.

Cheers
    Baz
    You will not go wrong with loving watches, they tend to keep you on time than your wife...

A few Panerai owners on the forum who should be able to advise on them as a watch quality wise. Definitely an icon brand with a long history.
    Magrette is a great way to see if the shape, style suits :thumbup: . You may also like to look at a Dievas. The Vintage 3646 model is very similar to a Panerai. German quality at a fraction of the price ($890US). Gnomon in Singapore does them.
    “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

I guess there are a few things to consider:

- Case material: SS, gold, pvd, or bronze?

- Case type: Radiomir or Luminor?

- Case size: 40mm, 44mm or 47mm?

- Function: Second hand, date, power reserve, GMT, chrono?

- Bracelet: SS or leather strap?

- Dial colour: White or black?

- Movement: Auto or manual? Is 3 days reverse long enough or do you prefer 8 days?

If (and when) you think about Panerai, which model comes to your head first? To me, it would be Pam005 (love Luminor case and small second with crown guard). Quite often people recommend Pam000 (Zero) as the first Panerai.

Regarding trade in, I would be surprise if they give you a decent $$$ for it (after all, they need to make a living out of it too). No harm asking though. Let us know when you find out :D Also try Gareth from jewelwatch (http://www.jewelwatch.co.nz) he does fair bit of trading and has a good reputation.

Regarding homepage, it will scratch your itch if it is just s temporary one. But if you really fell in love with Panerai, you might as well get it earlier (it is cheaper to buy Panerai now then buy a few homepage then eventually settle with Panerai).

I think that is my 2 cents worth on Monday morning :thumbup:

Comment

Beautiful watches....see the "look" in the Benarus Moray Vintage.
        I love the 389 (I know, Titanium) but with the ceramic bezel....stunning.
        I will watch this thread with interest as do not own a Panerai and would love to get one...
        Now I'm on line looking at watches.....AGAIN!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Baz
          I have a PAM so can understand the appeal. Like you, when I became aware of the brand it quickly became aspirational due to what is IMO the elegant simplicity of the dial and the overall look. I bought mine from The Hourglass in Sydney a few years ago and as is often the way, being the latest wore it regularly for some time before something else became the latest. I'm very happy with my ownership experience and will likely find a cousin for it at some stage. As you're a newbie (in your own words) I hope you will permit me some simple advice: The nature of this hobby/passion/sickness is that we all like different things for different reasons. None of our individual choices will be universally admired because aesthetics are purely subjective for a start, and then different individuals have different preferences and prejudices. For instance, I know that some of my pieces could be viewed indifferently by some due to the use of "generic" movements or questionable value propositions. I don't give a fat rat's ass, I buy what speaks to me. By all means ask for opinions but make your own decisions based on what you grabs you regardless of whether for reasons of design, heritage, precision or value. Swiss, Japanese, Boutique, Homage - your choice, all can provide pleasure and be celebrated here.
          All roads lead to Rome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attached files

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Comment

Hear hear. Eloquently put.
            Everything is a personal choice and, quite frankly, it is you wearing it on YOUR wrist...so if you wake up, put it on...and a smile appears on your face....result. It's a bit like wine....there are those who are happy with a $5 bottle, and there are those who won't touch anything below $30. But if it tastes nice, who the hell really cares what it costs.
            My Sub could be a 10th of the value but every time I wear it, I'm reminded of the sole reason I bought it....
            Alas, at 12 years old and hormonal, she knows which buttons to push....but she is still mine....as is the Sub.
            And if you buy a Panerai that you decide you don't like....you can always give it to me...RESULT.

Comment

A few Panerai owners on the forum who should be able to advise on them as a watch quality wise. Definitely an icon brand with a long history.
              Magrette is a great way to see if the shape, style suits :thumbup: . You may also like to look at a Dievas. The Vintage 3646 model is very similar to a Panerai. German quality at a fraction of the price ($890US). Gnomon in Singapore does them.

Thanks Stevo. I had email from Dion today said the Magrette is on the way, should arrive tomorrow as expected. I will post some pics when I receive it.

Thanks for ur suggestion re Dievas, does look very similar to Panerai Radiomir, will do some digs on YouTube as well. The other good thing with talking to u guys is that I can always get to know new brands which I've never heard before. Sometimes it's just surprisingly attractive.

Will see how I get on with Partridge tomorrow. Cheers :thumbup:
              You will not go wrong with loving watches, they tend to keep you on time than your wife...

Comment

I guess there are a few things to consider:

- Case material: SS, gold, pvd, or bronze?

- Case type: Radiomir or Luminor?

- Case size: 40mm, 44mm or 47mm?

- Function: Second hand, date, power reserve, GMT, chrono?

- Bracelet: SS or leather strap?

- Dial colour: White or black?

- Movement: Auto or manual? Is 3 days reverse long enough or do you prefer 8 days?

If (and when) you think about Panerai, which model comes to your head first? To me, it would be Pam005 (love Luminor case and small second with crown guard). Quite often people recommend Pam000 (Zero) as the first Panerai.

Regarding trade in, I would be surprise if they give you a decent $$$ for it (after all, they need to make a living out of it too). No harm asking though. Let us know when you find out :D Also try Gareth from jewelwatch (http://www.jewelwatch.co.nz) he does fair bit of trading and has a good reputation.

Regarding homepage, it will scratch your itch if it is just s temporary one. But if you really fell in love with Panerai, you might as well get it earlier (it is cheaper to buy Panerai now then buy a few homepage then eventually settle with Panerai).

I think that is my 2 cents worth on Monday morning :thumbup:

Hi Johanlee, appreciate ur 2 cents in the morning and thanks for the questions at the beginning. Luminor will be my 1st pick but Radiomir looked quite nice on my wrist too, would love to get both at the same time but I know it's not going to happen. Will do some digs on Pam zero as haven't seen it yet. Partridge has a Pam 90 in stock, I will check out what deals they can do on that when I go find out the trade in idea tomorrow. Totally understand that they will need to make money, so not expecting too much as they may not be able to do it. Will report back here tomorrow.

Thanks for introducing Jewelwatch. Had a look on the website, may try them if nothing happens at partridge or the deal is not good enough to push me ahead. Do u know my wife?? She will totally agree with u on the point that don't waste money on homage, just get to the point :thumbup: thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi Baz
                  I have a PAM so can understand the appeal. Like you, when I became aware of the brand it quickly became aspirational due to what is IMO the elegant simplicity of the dial and the overall look. I bought mine from The Hourglass in Sydney a few years ago and as is often the way, being the latest wore it regularly for some time before something else became the latest. I'm very happy with my ownership experience and will likely find a cousin for it at some stage. As you're a newbie (in your own words) I hope you will permit me some simple advice: The nature of this hobby/passion/sickness is that we all like different things for different reasons. None of our individual choices will be universally admired because aesthetics are purely subjective for a start, and then different individuals have different preferences and prejudices. For instance, I know that some of my pieces could be viewed indifferently by some due to the use of "generic" movements or questionable value propositions. I don't give a fat rat's ass, I buy what speaks to me. By all means ask for opinions but make your own decisions based on what you grabs you regardless of whether for reasons of design, heritage, precision or value. Swiss, Japanese, Boutique, Homage - your choice, all can provide pleasure and be celebrated here.
                  All roads lead to Rome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Yeahnah for ur great inputs, love ur saying of "I buy whatever speaks to me". I am the same a lot of the time, I go with 1st impressions a lot

Being a newbie, ur true advice helps a lot just like everyone else here. Thanks again for that.

Ur Pam looks really good on u, makes it more firm for me that I will get one when things work out. Hope its cousin is not too far away :D

Comment

Everything is a personal choice and, quite frankly, it is you wearing it on YOUR wrist...so if you wake up, put it on...and a smile appears on your face....result. It's a bit like wine....there are those who are happy with a $5 bottle, and there are those who won't touch anything below $30. But if it tastes nice, who the hell really cares what it costs.
                    My Sub could be a 10th of the value but every time I wear it, I'm reminded of the sole reason I bought it....
                    Alas, at 12 years old and hormonal, she knows which buttons to push....but she is still mine....as is the Sub.
                    And if you buy a Panerai that you decide you don't like....you can always give it to me...RESULT.

Hey Drdunc, how was ur watch search online today? Found anything that catches ur smile? Yes, all is personal choice regardless of value just like what Yeahnah said. I'm sure Pam will put a big smile on my face so u will have to wait long before I give it too u but hanging in there, u never know :thumbup: thanks again.

Comment

I had a SAS Watch Co diver with a cushion case design that I really admired. Great fit and finish. It went out in a swap deal but I still miss it.... Excellent angular update on the Pam-style case.
                      He makes an "Air" version with no divers bezel and a handwind Unitas movement which looks rather nice...
                      My karma ran over your dogma

Comment

Hey Drdunc, how was ur watch search online today? Found anything that catches ur smile? Yes, all is personal choice regardless of value just like what Yeahnah said. I'm sure Pam will put a big smile on my face so u will have to wait long before I give it too u but hanging in there, u never know :thumbup: thanks again.
                        Aha....I have been busy looking....
                        Squale 50 Atmos Opaco with tan leather AND a mesh bracelet in BLUE....bloody lovely....and on its way to me......
                        But still no Panerai.....crikey, I'm a GP not an Orthopaedic surgeon.....

Comment

Hi Baz, I'm a bit of a Panerai fan myself. Luckily I don't have a partridge close by. Hell I'm too scared to leave nelson incase I end up being somewhere like that let alone a bit of duty free.
                          some good advise been given already
                          thought I would just post this pic to make things a little more difficult for you

Attached files

Comment

I had a SAS Watch Co diver with a cushion case design that I really admired. Great fit and finish. It went out in a swap deal but I still miss it.... Excellent angular update on the Pam-style case.
                            He makes an "Air" version with no divers bezel and a handwind Unitas movement which looks rather nice...

Hi Jakem

Had a look online re the SAS, looks cool mate. No wonder u still miss it. Get another piece if someone is selling on market place. Sure u still gonna enjoy it. Cheers Baz

Comment

Aha....I have been busy looking....
                              Squale 50 Atmos Opaco with tan leather AND a mesh bracelet in BLUE....bloody lovely....and on its way to me......
                              But still no Panerai.....crikey, I'm a GP not an Orthopaedic surgeon.....

Haha GPdunc, feel sorry for u, I wish I win lotto too so no need to think this much before I buy my next piece.

But the Atmo 50 is bloody nice tho, had a look online as well as did some research on YouTube, definitely a piece that worth a while to own. May consider a piece at some stage, or u may give ur one to me when ur sick of it

Look forward to some pics when ur piece arrives. Enjoy it :thumbup:

Comment

Working...
                              X