No announcement yet.

Daily Chat & Wrist Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't visit that often now as Tapatalk has been too slow to use.

Sent from my CPH1723 using Tapatalk

Comment

• psyched
      psyched commented
      Editing a comment
      Do love that Squale!!

• Sarbie
      Sarbie commented
      Editing a comment
      agree with psched- that blue is more famous than their case design now, makes me want to go swimming

• Originally posted by David View Post
    Don't visit that often now as Tapatalk has been too slow to use.

Sent from my CPH1723 using Tapatalk
    You need to upgrade to Tapatalk Pro. It’s a one off cost and is well worth it for superior performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• SKX033 7S26-0050 from 2001. My first automatic and the one that started it all off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SKX033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.0 KB ID:	55011
      If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

• Takes almost a minute to fully wind from empty!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Seiko sbbn007
          noah fuller

Comment

• 12:01 anyone's ocd triggered ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191205_120046.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	55026
            I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Comment

• a long winded set of pics to say, it arrived & i think it is a rather special little thing.
              some quick 'n dirty shots for now but proper ones to follow if/when i have time...

Last edited by deerworrier; 05-12-19, 14:45.
              “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
              Always aim to be that man.

Comment

• Sarbie
                Sarbie commented
                Editing a comment
                how about a quick n dirty lume shot hows that moire pattern/effect in real life? more or less pronounced than in the pics?

• retlaw4
                retlaw4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Stunning piece! Congratulations

• harlansmart
                harlansmart commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats quite nice.

• Originally posted by Sarbie View Post
              12:01 anyone's ocd triggered ?

Name:	20191205_120046.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	55026
              Actually it was 12:01.01 by the look of it. Either that or it’s noon and you need to get a refund.

Comment

• Sarbie
                Sarbie commented
                Editing a comment
                you sound like my 8 year old

• Earlier today

Name:	IMG_20191205_120924.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	55035
              'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

• deerworrier
                deerworrier commented
                Editing a comment
                boring, boring, boring. time you moved that one on i think. its not even an omega for god sake!

• Sarbie
              how about a quick n dirty lume shot hows that moire pattern/effect in real life? more or less pronounced than in the pics?
              bugger to take with the phone but as below, nice and even application, its not a seiko but it glows well and has a rather nice matt effect? doesn't pop like a diver just seems to glow within its applied area if that makes sense? the dial pattern is obvious from all angles and if you want to experience travel sickness while stationary just move your wrist a few degrees side to side while starring at it
              ​​​​​​​

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

• Sarbie
                Sarbie commented
                Editing a comment
                I really love the lumed ring and the 12 oclock marker, the travel sickness comment was exactly what I was wondering about, all the effect of a Bridgett Riley painting!

• Don

Wow, DW! ...I had to Google for info, and guess I'm a little behind in this arena, but thank you. Such design flare for a recent start-up, and they seem to have a knack for incorporating avant-garde elements in a way that is appealingly familiar. Salmon is choice, and reminds me of a watch Tempus has. Congratulations!
              i missed out on the GMT a few years back and his high end stuff is out of reach for all but the most dedicated of followers. the dial is actually Copper colour, the salmon/pink/rust fades in and out with viewing angle and light source. it is highly polished in sunlight but dark and almost patina looking in subdued indoor lighting.
              i love the flared lugs and the dial but the attention to the little things for a <2k watch like the crown shape and the minuscule gap between the inside of crystal and hand set @ 0.3mm! are nice touches. then the movement, yea its just an ETA2824 but as below is not something you are ever likely to see any other micro brand or mid tier swiss offer...

It is our first series production piece offered in 316L stainless steel for added heft and wrist presence. The all-new rigid case without spacers is water resistant to 100m and constructed with an internally fixed bezel for easy assembly and service. Machining tolerances of 10 microns allow for a crisp 20 micron edge bevel and double lug holes accommodate the wearer’s choice of both straight and curved springbar straps.

Powered by a self-winding ETA 2824-2 modified to have two crown positions and regulated in five positions; assembly and quality control is now performed by La Division du Temps, a division of Manufacture Schwarz Etienne. Final checks on every watch are performed by the MING team in Kuala Lumpur, and the package is completed with a handmade strap by Jean Rousseau Paris and leather travel pouch hand-sewn by Studio Koji Sato.
              all in all i think it is a hell of a lot of watch for average money and a limited annual production run made it a no brainer.

the pic below gives the most accurate colour cast...

Comment

• harlansmart
                harlansmart commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhh yup, thats the pic I remember, that the color I was trying to recall, yeah it's very striking isn't it.

• Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
              i love the flared lugs and the dial but the attention to the little things for a <2k watch like the crown shape and the minuscule gap between the inside of crystal and hand set @ 0.3mm! are nice touches...
              Yes, the thoughts that went into the details are top-shelf stuff. Like you, DW, I find the lugs pleasing. It is not easy, and quite brave of Ming to choose this path. In my eyes, they are a modern take on fancy lugs, popular in the 1950s and 60s.

From observation, it is risky for modern watches to incorporate any interpretation of fancy lugs, and very few modern watches pull it off well. The original Beijing (BWAF) Beihai comes to mind, but few others. Even Omega avoids this path in the Globemaster, opting for conventional lugs over the dog-leg set of the vintage Pie Pans. To see the execution of the lugs on your 17.06 is refreshingly courageous, and while I generally shy away from fancy lugs, I'd happily wear these.

Another nice touch, not sure if you have noticed, is the inner portion of the etched dial. At any other angle apart from 90 degree perpendicular, the etching appears to spiral out from the centre. However, if you view it straight on, the pattern is radial. Not only that, there looks to be 60 radii, five per portion of hour marker--meaning each is actually a minute marker too. Wonderful, really

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
              then the movement, yea its just an ETA2824 but as below is not something you are ever likely to see any other micro brand or mid tier swiss offer...
              And I don't think there's anything wrong at all with an ETA 2824-2, a solid workhorse in itself. I went to Ming's product page for the sold-out 17.06, looked in Specifications and found...

• Movement:
                • Automatic ETA 2824-2 Top grade modified for MING
              The key words here are "Top grade", where Top is the name of the designation, not just an adjective. Most Entry-Level Luxury Swiss who use this ETA purchase them in, at best, Elabore grade, which is the mid-range grade of the 2824-2. Not many companies buy Top, which has upgraded spring, shock protection, pallet stones, balance wheel-hairspring set, and regulator. All Top grade are already adjusted in 5 positions as part of their specs, and I assume that is what Ming meant in their description.

Another thing that I think about is that different manufacturers have their own strengths, and while there is a pressure today to be best across the board, it is good to allow different brands to shine in their own ways. For Ming, their talent and strength are in design and assembly of watches, and the movement that they chose allows them to focus on the rest of the watch. Historically, we see this in many legendary watches from Breitling, Heuer, Mido, and Hamilton, all of whom were famous for designing and assembling watches, using outsourced movements. IMO, it is honest of Ming to state that it's a 2824-2, despite the modification, and to credit their assembler--other brands would just give it their own calibre name to obscure the origin.

It is, as you say, DW, a hell of lot of watch.
              On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• harlansmart
                harlansmart commented
                Editing a comment
                +1

it is honest of Ming to state that it's a 2824-2, despite the modification, and to credit their assembler--other brands would just give it their own calibre name to obscure the origin.

It is, as you say, DW, a hell of lot of watch.

• This dials just black , which is just as well, no competing with the Ming here...

Name:	15756880839761318510602571868482.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	55116
              I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Comment

• Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
                Don

the minuscule gap between the inside of crystal and hand set @ 0.3mm! are nice touches.
                Is this why there is no second hand? Was this part of the overall design, or a cock up with dimensions after the manufacturing process?

It’s the only flaw imho. (You can see the seconds pinion) I would be walking around with my wrist jammed against my ear, checking to see if it’s still running.

Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

• deerworrier
                  deerworrier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i don't think its design error, if it is ; it's one they have kept from all their previous models. the only 3 hand watch Ming has produced is the diver, all others inc. the GMT models are Hr-Min only. the lack of cap is something i have noticed in quite a few models of late and a lot of them are the swiss contingent!
                  the 2hand watch thing has never bothered me, from what i have read it does seem to bother quite a few boys on the UK and US forums but for me its just another style of watch. if you look at your watch as often as i do then a second hand will only let you know your watch has stopped 3min before the minute hand does

• Christmas is fast approaching.

Name:	IMG_20191207_221027.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	55123
                'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

• deerworrier
                  deerworrier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meh, it's all right i suppose.

• Hammers
                  Hammers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Getting some NOS hands that have been relumed, fitted this week. Need to feed my OCD and ensure I can tell when it's 03.00 and I'm awake
              Working...
              X