Daily Chat & Wrist Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gauss View Post
    Thanks for your knowledge Don, I knew of the Spirit/SARB relationship but not of that between the 7000 series and the Spirit series itself. It makes a lot of sense when I think about it after reading your comment. It's great to learn that the 7005 started so much of what Seiko does today, and we can still enjoy the legacy of Suwa through a lot of what Orient does with their movements as well!
    G
    You’re very welcome, Gauss. Re Suwa Seikosha, they do also, in fact, live on in Seiko Watch Corp, and their legacy are all the Seiko non-mechanical we see. Suwa created the Quartz, Kinetic, and Spring Drive technologies. As for Orient, here you’ll be surprised

Until the mid-1960s, Orient movement—all manual-winds—we conceived fully in-house, though with similar design to Seiko. When the era of self-winding came, Orient adopted the Seiko Cal 7625, re-designed, and manufactured it as their own Orient Cal. 1940. Seiko 7625 had been around since 1963, and its technology was rather dated, so in 1971, Orient borrowed the design of a newly released Seiko automatic. This Seiko movement had benefited from all the technology achieved and learned at the peak of horology, i.e. pretty much the same mechanical technologies we still use today.

From this new movement, Orient modified, upgraded, then put it in production as the Orient 469. Today, 49 years on, modern descendants in the 469 Series are still being made, with continuous modifications and upgrades through nearly half a century. Its family members include the Orient 40N5A that equip the 300m Saturation Diver, now with power-reserve indication, hand-winding, and hacking the way the original 1971 469 didn’t… Sort of reminds you of your Cal. 7005 and more modern 6R15, doesn’t it?

Well, the Seiko 7625 that Orient took in the late-1960s was a Daini Seikosha movement, and the Seiko caliber that Orient based their original 469 on was also a Daini. That movement was none other than the Seiko 7005.

Apart from the Citizen Miyota 8200 Series, I struggle to think of another mechanical movement—Swiss or Japanese—that has had such a lasting impact on the watch industry.

Suwa (now Seiko Epson), for their part, left Orient independent to do their own thing. This was not just from 1997, when they started holding shares in Orient, but until today when the whole of Orient is an Epson subsidiary. From the 1960s through to the 80s, Suwa competed with Daini, so it is rather ironic that they now own a competitor of Daini, and one whose horological history has roots in Daini.

Congratulations again!
    Last edited by Don; 05-05-20, 23:53.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• Citizen Promaster. The promaster arrow is stashed discretely.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DD169E27-283C-4E52-81C6-B99065BC1B44.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	58079

Comment

• Digi-Ani gets an outing.

Name:	IMG_20200506_123855.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	58082
        'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

• Old Citizen diver today

Name:	Citizen.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	58093
          If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice NY2300 ...Is the case PVD, or just the light?

• sjb
            sjb commented
            Editing a comment
            Just the light, Don. Case is the usual steel.

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the big red 200m

Very cool

• Old Bulova diver today.

Name:	DF6DB11A-7A85-4ED8-B940-2B90BAD387D8.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	58099

Comment

• Artemis12
            Artemis12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the look of the 666 devil diver
            Last edited by Artemis12; 08-05-20, 07:56.

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            That, has so so many famous elements to it, bakelite, hypodermic/block hands, tall lume plots, ULTRA cool model name... is it red and black ?

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_104505.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	58178

Comment

• Out with the ceo

Comment

• Vintage Omega again today.

Name:	IMG_20200509_153707.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	58201 ​​​​​​​
              'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

• Hammers
                Hammers commented
                Editing a comment
                Noticed the dirt gunge between glass and case. Between 9.30 and 10.30, OCD clicked in now cleaned up

• Sent from my CPH1723 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hammers
                Hammers commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice Margrette, they continue to produce attractive pieces. Solid style, clean and bold. What is the quality like, still good?

• another lesser worn today...
              the joys of acrylic distortion

Name:	image_5916.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	58222
              Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_155.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	58223
              “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
              Always aim to be that man.

Comment

• Artemis12
                Artemis12 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that's one heck of a dome, the distortion looks wicked. Nice piece deerworrier

• Walk up at North Head today

Comment

• deerworrier
                deerworrier commented
                Editing a comment
                i've lost count of the no. of these i have given out to mates for work. most of the boys i know are chippies, concrete workers, scaffolders, welders etc. Seiko & citizen quartz most under $200 and all i ever hear about them is "can you change the battery for me?" takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

• harlansmart
                harlansmart commented
                Editing a comment
                And they lOOk good too.

• Click image for larger version

Name:	325E7C9C-ADBE-4E75-881B-D129215BCD86.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	58239

Comment

• Quintessential Seiko Diver?

Name:	A5337B3F-B772-4811-AF6B-D544F776F28D.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	58248

Comment

• Don
                  Don commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think this is one of the best, if not The best, non-rubber strap choice for the 6309 Cushion that I have seen. Matches the faded "WATER...RESIST" very well.

• kiwi.bloke
                  kiwi.bloke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Don. My first ever custom canvas strap. 5 years at least now old. Took a while to settle on a strap for this one, but happy choice now. All my 6309s sit on metal bracelets but this one and the Tsunami seem to suit straps.

• Wake up and smell the cheese.
                A bit of Swiss today.

Name:	0CF95D3F-6D8B-44A4-866D-80FA04A3373A.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	58250

Comment

• Don
                  Don commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The absolute charm of that bygone era of real-necessity-based high-octane mechanical.

• Citizen
                autozilla

Comment

• Don
                  Don commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Harlan, is the AR coating on your sapphire blue/purple? ...My 2014 example is green.

• harlansmart
                  harlansmart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks bluey/purplesque.. I've a colour deficiency but pretty certain it's not green.

• Don
                  Don commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmm... your Day wheel is English/Kanji, right?
              Working...
              X