New Zealand watch culture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand watch culture

Just an observation on how most people in NZ seem to view watches and a question. Firstly it seems to me that the majority of people here don't care about watches and don't notice watches.

On the other hand some people do own nice watches. However, many of these watches simply seem to be kept in storage and never worn, at least judging by the watches I see that turn up on trademe. It looks like it is common for high priced watches that are several years old to have only been worn once or twice, or not at all. I get the impression that there are quite a few nice watches floating around in God's own, but they are just not being enjoyed and worn. Am I right, and if so, why?

we are a tiny percentage of the population who enjoy more than one watch or view it as anything more than a functional disposable object.
    the majority of people in the world don't notice watches! same as anything thats "luxury" I have owned many stupid cars and nobody has ever commented on them unless they are a car enthusiast, I use various pens on a weekly basis and nobody has ever commented on them, I work in engineering and have been using a Karas machined brass monster all week and not one person has said anything and its cool as feck "to me". this is the thing, if you are not into any form of Objet d'art then it will not register. how many women or men do you think you meet/pass every day who are wearing $1000+ on there feet? I have no clue but Z who is a shoe fanatic spots 3 or 4 every time we are out. handbags and purses are another.
    I have a mate who collects guns, not $2-3k gun city but tracked down, negotiated and imported 10-40k+ shotguns and rifles, most folks wouldn't have a clue what they were looking at.

as for TM, well, TM is full of super inflated nonsense that sellers figure they leave up and someone will buy, most kiwis are still not very international purchase savvy (sorry if that sounds wank) but the majority of boys I know who will not purchase euro cars because they see the prices kiwi dealers try and hawk their parts at despite a 10min google-fu session turning up dozens of overseas seller only too happy to sell at 30-40% the price of NZ. I think the majority of higher priced watches on TM are bought from overseas sellers, stored for a few weeks/months then sold at exchange rate + import cost + gst + 20% profit, nothing wrong with it if the market pays then thats the value.
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	42092 Had a conversation about this only the other week, majority of people now dont own a watch, the 'correct time' is everywhere, including you mobile phone which 'everybody' has......

im a toolmaker by trade and have always had a fascination for precision engineering, a watch of course can be considered the zenith of this (personal opinion), of course i could buy a quartz 'G-Shock' and have perfect, worry free time

but that be 'soulless' to me, i have to have a watch with a 'heatbeat' a tick........i could finally afford my first and only chronometer only 18 months ago (im 61) a Tudor North Flag......

my friends think im mad to spend that much on a watch (got it 2nd hand from the states at half price) but i LOVE it.....smiling now looking at it on my wrist......well thats my 2c......
      While i'm not as good as i once was.....i'm as good once as i ever was.......!

Comment

Hi, many thanks for helping me to understand the NZ watch market.

Awesome watch, Scouser. My dream came true and I got this a couple of weeks ago:

free photo hosting
        Last edited by GrandS; 17-05-18, 13:24.

Comment

• Scouser
          Scouser commented
          Editing a comment
          Wohoo...my 'grail' right there....no date, just perfect, not a fan of the cyclops......

Wow, awesome... great thread to start OP, GrandS

These are my favourite types of threads, ones that are focusing on a topic previously much discussed by yours truly... and wow, I don't even know where to start!

Watch lovers, tend often to also be buyers of Hi-Fi, buyers of pens, buyers of knives, of fancy tools & cars etc too... the items they buy, collect, squirrel away & covet, they can be either new, old, or rare or precious or something else... they, these people are quite often a lawyer or a surgeon, or an an engineer, a pilot, or a yacht or a car racer or a car salesman (car salesman its true, they LOVE fancy watches, especially a GOLD ROLEX) but one thing joins all these people, and thats that they're probably smarter than average - (though obviously there are exceptions).

The watches you say you see on trademe, i.e. theres always a squillion ROLEXes for sale, these people, they invariably can't really afford them, they bought them to be like the JONSES, and they're selling since they really needed to get their teeth fixed, or pay some other essential bill, the watch was bought (sometimes at full screaming retail over the counter locally DUH) just to show off, this person potentially has 1 watch, so the watch gets worn EVERY day lol, and they likely couldn't/can't afford to service it, they've paid too much, probably haven't finished paying it off, its probably been poorly treated and it's probably for sale at an inflated ever-hopeful price, and its probably thrashed to death, oh well the market is proven to be mostly fully of the ill-informed, poorly educated, the un-researched and the ever-hopeful.

But yeah, theres heaps, and heaps of watches out there in NZL, I've been told by a chap who works for the New Zealand account holder for Ferrari, that records of car registrations here show there are more FERRARI in NZL than any other country per capita, and he went on to say they were surprised by this, but upon request to Head Office this data is also proved kosher by FERRARI Official Factory Export Records.

What does this tell us... not too sure, but possibly there are a lot of people here with the amount of disposable income ('a lot') necessary to buy
        FERRARI cars, and watches and other such trinkets as previously discussed... ?

Now I'm gonna guess, guess based on what I have seen, and what I know, from selling watches to the sorts of people who have these cars, I am going to guess (this is just M2JW + only a semi-educated guess we'll say) but I will suggest there's probably also more ROLEX here per capita than anywhere else... I've no real proof of this but from the collections I have seen it is likely I believe.

Many of the
        FERRARI get driven SFA, same will go for all these ROLEX (and CREDOR and PP and Lange & Sohne etc etc) wristwatches.. so you just don't see them...

Now if you happen to hang around the race track, or a fancy private country club, you will be more likely to be around FERRARI cars and ROLEX watches and theres more chance you'll notice them... and truly rich people, don't EVER sell ROLEX or any other watches on TM, they mostly don't stand out in a crowd as flashy, Ferrari owners i.e. rich people don't need to prove anything, you probably don't even know the guy stranding next to you at SWASHBUCKLERS wearing a SEIKO 6015 or IWC Big PILOT is worth >75M and could buy a dozen new Ferraris with the clear funds in his eft-pos account.

​​​​​​... they're out there, the watches and the watch nutters / lovers but if you hang around PORTACOM's in muddy building sites you probably won't be likely to be amongst too many FERRARI cars or ROLEX wristwatches, you'll probably notice HiLux pickups & CASIO G-Shocks, thats what most of the inhabitants of these environs equip themselves with... fair enough and sorry DW, but most of said inhabitants probably also don't cruise the building site checking out your fancy pen or $750 pocket knife or Omega Planet Ocean either..

And, occurs also, that most of the best cars, and most of the best watches, they're well now amongst the aficionado, well known amongst the club members, and they never get advertised too much on the big public forums, theres no need... all it takes is a post on the appropriate forum, or a few texts aimed in the right direction, thats how they're sold, swapped & traded.

JM2CW & purely non-professional ramblings.
        Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club
        Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Feel better :-) ???

Comment

I do... smashing the keyboard for 30 minutes actually seemed to do the trick... one of 'those days'.

(rant (with nothing to do with the OP's thread) begins)

Started at 0728, wrote someone asking if they could provide please a coherent address for something, and perhaps if they could pay.

6 hours later, they're supplied 3 different addresses, changed emails etc twice... eventually we get paid & supplied a coherent address* after midday so it was extremely difficult to book a courier before midday for same day pickup.

Then they tell me not to fret, 'God Almighty Will Provide'.

A ha... 'Gods' gonna make 50 phone calls, write 25 emails etc etc ?

So it's finally boxed up, yet again, and the courier is coming back, again, to uplift, and what do they do, change address*... now I am wild, CourierPost is wild, by 1700hrs the jobs a mess, the box is lost at CourierPost CS (getting new labels & system updates) and the CourierPost Fraud & Investigation team is emailing me & so on, awesome.

'GOD ALMIGHTY WILL PROVIDE'.... oh so it's all ok then, sure....

This could have taken 15 mins, but it actually took many many hours, actually all day, a day I could have used for slitting my writs or perhaps or possibly or maybe or even we bit of .

(rant (with nothing to do with the OP's thread) ends)

Originally posted by ghj View Post
            Feel better :-) ???
            Harlan
            Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

• deerworrier
              deerworrier commented
              Editing a comment
              some people mate, they just need a hug...

around the neck....

with a rope

Okay so how about this, how many people that have "a few" watches are insistent when re- using a watch that has run down through not being used for any given period of time on setting the correct date ( and day" ) and setting the watch to GMT, knowing full well that they may only wear that watch for up to a week....I for one am one of those very ..shall we say "anal" people.
            When I decide on rebooted one of my watches it has to be set to perfection..hence my previous frustration with my Omega PO, which keep sheik time

Comment

I have a few (20 odd), and of the automatic ones (most of them) I set the day and date correctly every time I put them on. I rarely wear the same one two days running so I do this a lot. If it hacks I set the time to the exact second.
              Last edited by sjb; 17-05-18, 20:35. Reason: Edit: spelling
              If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

Ditto. Compulsive obsessive here
                'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

So... guess you will be buying quite a few crown & tube kits over time then... bezel fiddlers are bad enough, but service wise the crown fiddler is even worse, fiddle by fiddle, wearing out the little threaded interface

Originally posted by sjb View Post
                  I have a few (20 odd), and of the automatic ones (most of them) I set the day and date correctly every time I put them on. I rarely wear the same one two days running so I do this a lot. If it hacks I set the time to the exact second.

A 2 handed PAM would really annoy you then, never knowing what the time actually was... what would be even worse would be a 'small 2 handed watch' like this ORIS TRIO, you basically haven't a clue to what the time exactly is

Okay so how about this, how many people that have "a few" watches are insistent when re- using a watch that has run down through not being used for any given period of time on setting the correct date ( and day" ) and setting the watch to GMT, knowing full well that they may only wear that watch for up to a week....I for one am one of those very ..shall we say "anal" people.
                  When I decide on rebooted one of my watches it has to be set to perfection..hence my previous frustration with my Omega PO, which keep sheik time
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	42188

Harlan
                  Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

I've often wondered about what harlan says above, is this another reason a more accurate watch is better do we all think? so the time does not to be re-set so often?
                    Surely with many watches such as SJB's example of 20 the fiddling per watch is less than owning just 1. Am I wrong here?
                    Last edited by Sarbie; 31-05-18, 09:47.
                    harlansmart commented

strap whore = Sarbie

Comment

The trouble with owning so many watches is the need to wind them unless they are battery powered. A watch winder can solve this though.

I for one am happy to do so.
                      Tony Lewis
                      New Zealand

Comment

HI guys!!
                        Not been on the forum for ages! Sorry about that. I've had my interest piqued recently with a couple of watches as I haven't bought any for a long time. My most recent being a Glycine Combat 7. On the topic of watche culture in NZ and also watches made/designed here, I googled for watches made in NZ and found a few on Kickstarter. The one that interest me at the moment is the Draken Watches Kalahari. A microbrand, ( is that the right term) and from the two watches that have been produced/in production they look to be good value. Another one, Non kiw created, is the AVI-8 Worn and Wound 2 edition. Available from Worn and Wound. I have a Magrette Regattare 2011, another one created here in gods own.
                        Where am I going with this?? NO idea! just asking what your thoughts on regarding those two watches, and if you have any experience with them personally.

On setting time and date on watches that have been left unused... Yes I set it all.. lol.. I don't have OCD... I have CDO.... It's like OCD but in the correct order............. as it should be!
                        Silent souls leave .308 holes.

Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

Comment

Working...
                        X