Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Servicing - NZ

Hi folks,

Finally found a NZ watch forum! - Yay! Recently moved here from the UK with a tidy collection of watches in tow. ... I'm looking for recommendations on any reputable & skilled watch-smiths in NZ.

I accept this maybe a polarizing issue, however with much of my collection genuine, I do have the odd watch which is a high quality replica. Some gifted to me, others bought by myself as 'trial watches' before getting the real thing, or simply because I love the aesthetic.

Does anybody have any recommendations for 'replica-friendly' watch-smiths in New Zealand?

Anyhow, I hope i'm not going to catch too much flack from asking this!

These are timepieces nonetheless, and I've no intention to sell them (aka Faud!)... Merely to look after them like any other of my watches.

Depends where you are - assuming Auckland; Precision Time,WatchWorld,Auckland Watch Co.,Milford Time,Tim Smith,

Comment

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I’m more Wellington based, but if they’re good, I’m happy to ship it so somebody reputable.

Comment

Hi, and welcome. I agree with the list Horos published above, but would also add Broadway Time Centre in Newmarket and Ilam Watchmakers in Christchurch. Unfortunately I don't think there's anywhere all that great in Wellington for you. Capital Watch Services are the main independent there and forum members have generally had pretty bad experiences with them so I'd avoid going there. There is someone on the Kapiti Coast I believe, but I can't remember their name. Hopefully another local member will jump in here.
        Regarding your 'replica' watches, just be aware that the authorities in New Zealand view counterfeits fairly dimly. If it's something that can be considered an 'homage' watch and has enough differences that you can tell it's not genuine or it's an exact copy, but without the badge then you're probably ok. If it's something that looks exactly like the original and is badged and marked as such then it's considered counterfeit and it's technically illegal to even have one in your possession so you won't find many reputable watchmakers wanting to touch anything like this. Now you're not about to get Officer Plod knocking on your door so I'm not trying to stress you out, but just make sure if you have anything like this that you don't try to sell it and you don't post photos of it on public forums.
        Look forward to seeing some of your collection.

PS. I enjoy a drop of Balvenie too and have a bottle of the Triple Wood at home at the moment.

Comment

Hi and welcome.
          Ian Daniels is based in Waikanae on the Kapiti Coast. He was omega trained and will handle most stuff. If you can't find his number pm me and I can look up his number and address.
          'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC
            Now you're not about to get Officer Plod knocking on your door so I'm not trying to stress you out, but just make sure if you have anything like this that you don't try to sell it and you don't post photos of it on public forums.
            Look forward to seeing some of your collection.

PS. I enjoy a drop of Balvenie too and have a bottle of the Triple Wood at home at the moment.
            Cheers for the extra recommendations. I’m clued up on the legalities of such timepieces, certainly would never sell them!, but thanks for the NZ specific advice.

Ironically, it’s the ‘replica forums’ that exist on the internet which have been the most reliable source of “gen-checking” for online purchases.

& I love the Triple Cask Balvenie! Brought that and a bottle of Aberloure back from Duty Free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X