Should watches be wound regularly ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ghj
    started a topic Should watches be wound regularly ??

Should watches be wound regularly ??

12 months ago I bought a brand new watch for my wife, Longines Quartz movement, alas she did not want it, so much so that she didn't even try the bloody thing on, totally rejected I pulled the winder out, wanting to save the battery and put it in my safe for the past 12 months.

Well I have decided to sell it and arranged an OBO arrangement with an extremely helpful sales professional who just happened to sell me an item that I am sure will please "my handbrake".

Part of our discussions drew attention to the fact that the watch had been sitting idle for a year, she suggested I "fire it up" but alas no joy ...dead as a doe doe.
    She said that watches should be wound once a month.......really ???....

So what is the general rule...penny for your thoughts please

• Harry
    replied
    A mechanical watch, worn or not, should probably be serviced every 3-5 years. Modern oils used in watches don't deteriorate as much over time without use.

Watch winders are entirely redundant unless you a) own a highly complex watch e.g. an annual calendar or b) are really lazy and own a few watches which you want to be able to immediately put on & go when required.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo_iwc
    replied
    Ok, opinions vary on this (as with most watch related stuff lol) but it is generally accepted that a regular wind will help preserve the movement and keep the lubrication where it should be. So the advice from the seller was good.
    I try not to leave mine for longer than a month or two.

It’s not necessary to keep them continually operating on a winder and some opinions equate this to leaving your car running 24 hours a day which you would never do. Leaving them to wind down and sit idle between wears does them no harm.

Leave a comment:

• ghj
    replied
    LOL....now that I read my post I understand your confusion, yes it is battery powered, what I should have asked required a tad more clarification and explanation.

Battery powered watches go or not go, pulling out the crown was a bloody waste of time, the battery was going to run flat, probably, regardless.

What I should have asked referred more so to automatic watches and the fact that I have had a couple sitting around now unused for 2 years, should I have been winding them, every now and then??

Leave a comment:

• Stevo_iwc
    replied
    I read your post twice to see if this was a trick question....
    You did say the watch was quartz. I’d suggest a flat battery.
    Winding mechanical watches once a month would keep the oils moving.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X