How do you do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do it?

some of the more annoying types on here are habitual Non-flippers. for the rest of us we do the "keeper" dance for a few months until something newer and shinier catches our wandering eye.
    i have pretty much spent the last 2hrs looking at my watch box and associated corner and randomly placing watches in the box then taking them out again, then replacing one with another which upsets the whole fengshui i just spent 30min creating so i start again

i really don't have much of a system? i just chop and change. the only one im sure should go is the AlpinerX as i come to realise im not a smart watch type of bloke, i use my phone for texts, calls and not much else.

the results of this afternoons cranial discomfort...

the IN

plus the LHD pretty much always on my wrist.

and the ones i'll miss in a few months time

fun game, What would you have done? chop the lot and buy a rolex, buy a bigger watch box or made a considered selection to consolidate to a few key collection categories?

for the vultures out there, don't bother. i'm a while away from being in one place long enough to assure proper responses and postage (last few sales have been a bloody nightmare, because of me! not the buyers)
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Never mind all that.... where’s the a-13 pilot????

Can’t help mate... I’m several years behind you in this game and a whole many more years in knowledge and numbers of pieces that have passed through my hands, but ultimately the long term prognosis imho would be to consolidate to several ever finer pieces that suit your style and needs?

Enthusiast or collector?

Buy a Rolex

Comment

Originally posted by Brucy View Post
      Never mind all that.... where’s the a-13 pilot????
      the A13a is supersafe in Welly flat and not for the off. i did toy with the idea of a Rolex GMT but i really cant be bothered with the waiting list pish. i asked Partridges to get one for me about a year ago but i dont buy enough to be a valued customer so thats that pumped. added to the fact i honestly think the GS gmt i have is a better watch! i think it will slowly come down to the front row and the Guinand with maybe the sinn or the incoming MWW as my beater.
      dont confuse lots of watches with knowledge! by my pics i have had 350-400 watches through the box and im still none the wiser

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

Hard to argue with any in that top box. Great range and examples of some iconic movements. Every watch a bit special in its own way I reckon which is probably what goes through the mind when you’re looking for something to off to raise funds for the next obsession.
        Re the Roley GMT, agree it would be nice and I’d like one but I’m thinking Squale and Steinhart do something for a fraction of the price.
        Any way here’s my top shelf at the moment. A couple you will recognise DW!
        “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier
          dont confuse lots of watches with knowledge! by my pics i have had 350-400 watches through the box and im still none the wiser
          Lol! Well, wiser than some. I’ve never counted, but I’m sure I’ve bought and sold well over 100 watches over the last 10 years. I’m definitely no wiser! In fact I didn’t even know you had a couple of those watches (eg. Precista, Alpina).

TBH, like Steve I can’t argue with the split you’ve landed on there either mate. Although if anyone thinks that any of the ones in the box are safe from the chop, well, they haven’t been round long. LMAO. I mean just look at what’s in the box! There’s at least two that shouldn’t be there by rights. Also isn’t it about time you bought another SD600 or MM300?

Comment

The IN box has 4 spaces. And you never count the one on your wrist... I tend to have weekday watches for work and weekend ones. My perspective is once they are sold they will only cost more to get back so tend to keep hold of them longer then most it seems. Perhaps you need a couple of early 80s quartz models for a change?

Comment

So, here's some feedback from one of the more annoying types (Everything is for sale if the price is right)

If this were my box, after a lot of deep thought, I would have to buy two more boxes. I would then take out the IWC dress watch and put it in a new box. The IWC would soon be joined by other showy ultra thin watches that I would rarely ever wear (Mainly because I rarely ever go out)

Then I would take out the Omega and 6105 and put them in 'the vintage box'. Many happy hours ahead negotiating the vintage minefield filling this one up Again these watches wouldn't see much wear either, as I am pretty ham fisted most of the time and would end up damaging one or more difficult to repair pieces.

You now have 7 spaces in the original box. H's GS GMT to go with the black dial GS would be a good start, followed by a plethora of Rolex/Omega/Breitling sport watches. And Bob's your uncle....Fengshui restored

Hang on a minute....You've done all this before

Hello Delta Whisky this is Sunray......Disregard my last......Sunray out.
              Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Sunray (im guessing the wife is away or id be calling Sunray minor )
                its a bugger, i really want to do a year of 4-6 watches but i just cant seem to part with so many! the Helson while in the "cheap" homage bracket is an absolute blinder of a watch and the wee MWW rattler (1 i think you would like actually) should replace the ezm2 but would anyone ever actually swap out a sinn hydro for a 4r15 seiko homage?
                thinking im kinda fecked, just need to come to terms with my dithering and inability to exercise self control when it comes to watches. as im writting this im checking the progress update on my Newmark 6BB Chronograph order!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	nmtf1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	46600
                add to this, remember the Panda thread? well look what Hamilton decided to do..
                Click image for larger version  Name:	B89A6666_copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.8 KB ID:	46601

Basically, I'm screwed

Comment

• captainscarlet1
                  captainscarlet1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Of course, you're right. I will never reach the lofty heights of a Sunray in my house lol. Just count your blessings that you don't collect newspapers or used paper diner plates

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
                Sunray (im guessing the wife is away or id be calling Sunray minor )
                its a bugger, i really want to do a year of 4-6 watches but i just cant seem to part with so many! the Helson while in the "cheap" homage bracket is an absolute blinder of a watch and the wee MWW rattler (1 i think you would like actually) should replace the ezm2 but would anyone ever actually swap out a sinn hydro for a 4r15 seiko homage?
                thinking im kinda fecked, just need to come to terms with my dithering and inability to exercise self control when it comes to watches. as im writting this im checking the progress update on my Newmark 6BB Chronograph order!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	nmtf1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	46600
                add to this, remember the Panda thread? well look what Hamilton decided to do..
                Click image for larger version  Name:	B89A6666_copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.8 KB ID:	46601

Basically, I'm screwed
                That Newmark is really nice... Kickstarter campaign went very quickly as far as I know

Good size, classic design, C3 lume

Comment

Just a thought, wherever your next contract is, ensure there is NO INTERNET.
                  Just think about it: good income and NOTHING to spend it on (watch related that is). Just not sure how your sanity will hold up
                  'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammers View Post
                    Just a thought, wherever your next contract is, ensure there is NO INTERNET.
                    Just think about it: good income and NOTHING to spend it on (watch related that is). Just not sure how your sanity will hold up
                    Renovate your house...

Comment

After a few years of collecting, I decided what I was looking for in a watch and sold the ones that didn't meet that criteria (except for one I still need to sell). Now I intend to keep my existing collection (less the last one I want to get rid of) and any watches that I purchase forever. I'm only interested in watches from the 1960's and prior, with only truly special examples from the 1960's being considered as I really prefer the style of the 1940's - 50's.

Comment

I just thrash around like a drunk stupid fool with my purchasing. The rest of the time i am scared to sell anything for fear of any kind of regret.
                        If I sell anything (2 seikos so far) its only been to mates. This may have to change. The other day I had a mate over and he told me I gave him a watch one night, proves to be the watch I bought in Malaysia from a street vendor while I was traveling as a student (1999). A couple of years later I wore it to my wedding. White dialed Breitling.
                        When he went home he found it and gave it a shake and it started right up. I look forward to our next catch up and that comes back across the table to me. I must have had a few beers because I dont have any recollection of it. Apparently he was having a bad night so I gave it to him to cheer him up.

box pics to come when i edit this post on my phone.

I try to keep one small box with definite keepers and one larger box with keepers . I toy with the idea of moving slots and making the big box all seiko and the smaller box everything else.
                        To ensure there is spaces to fill I keep some other watches (dads) and the F91w out of the boxes...oh and the tritium Mondaine that is my bedside clock.

Really though I dont put any rules or constraints on my watch collecting strategy, i just want to have fun with it.

Only 2 not here...a certina of my dads from the 60's and an annie liebovitz swatch which is NOS and tucked away.

Always leave a space open
                        Last edited by Sarbie; 03-11-18, 05:38.
                        I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Comment

Working...
                        X