Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scalpers Speculators & your Watch Buying Experience...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalpers Speculators & your Watch Buying Experience...

A shrewd member recently pointed out this very good article by Ariel Adams that went up this month on ablogtoawatch

It is well worth a read, hits on a few things that many of us have discussed over time, actually hits the nail pretty well on the head actually

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/how-sca...any-consumers/

Click image for larger version

Name:	scalpers.png
Views:	1
Size:	1,010.9 KB
ID:	46511

Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

while i agree with his definitions of scalpers and speculators, i struggle to see how they are the problem? the economics of watches is the same as any other global economic model. a commodity is sold at $X and lots of people want it so it is in demand and becomes $X+% then it reaches a ceiling where most consumers are unwilling to go and seek alternatives (US grain prices v's Eastern european pricing) then the in demand commodity falls out of favour and the price reduces to attract people back.
    the major problem is most not all but defo most Rolex buyers buy with the justification of "at least i won't lose any money on it" in itself a speculation and should they sell a year or 2 down the line they sure as shit aint going to sell at below market prices. the whole thing is very ugly and shows what can happen when a market is artificially strangled by a supplier (there is no down side for Rolex here, they make a finite no. of units and are assured of seeing their RRP on every unit sold) hell, they can even allow buyers to fall into the trap of buying a less desirable model to qualify for the honour of buying a sports model in steel. if the buyers don't want this then the grey market are happy to provide them with a steel model for around the same money or more than a PM version of the model. the only common denominator in all the transactions is the buyer and if folks are willing 'as i see no firearms i assume the deal is not at gun point' to spent double the RRP to own a steel trinket in the hope that the arse will never collapse out of the dream then they and only they should be held responsible for the current situation.
    this isn't housing, food or power its pure consumerism and we have no-one to blame but ourself. look at the price of Heuer and Omega vintage, hell even Benrus are fetching over $2kUS! when speculation starts you are either in at the start and kill it, jump too late and see little return or the 3rd path of feck that im buying a Steinhart
    should point out that while i use Rolex as the basis, PP and other are just as guilty, in fact i think Rolex took a little longer than expected to follow the PP market strategy (vetted to ensure you are a suitable buyer! eat my shit)

rant over.

p.s if anyone has a seiko spork they want to sell at 2012 prices im only a PM away.
    Last edited by deerworrier; 22-10-18, 11:43.
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Comment

for anyone interested the link below is to Thomas Sowell Basic economics, i first read it about 6yrs ago and for an idiot like me it helps grasp the point of issues where i used to think "thats not fair"...

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
      Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier
        while i agree with his definitions of scalpers and speculators, i struggle to see how they are the problem? the economics of watches is the same as any other global economic model. a commodity is sold at $X and lots of people want it so it is in demand and becomes $X+% then it reaches a ceiling where most consumers are unwilling to go and seek alternatives (US grain prices v's Eastern european pricing) then the in demand commodity falls out of favour and the price reduces to attract people back.
        the major problem is most not all but defo most Rolex buyers buy with the justification of "at least i won't lose any money on it" in itself a speculation and should they sell a year or 2 down the line they sure as shit aint going to sell at below market prices. the whole thing is very ugly and shows what can happen when a market is artificially strangled by a supplier (there is no down side for Rolex here, they make a finite no. of units and are assured of seeing their RRP on every unit sold) hell, they can even allow buyers to fall into the trap of buying a less desirable model to qualify for the honour of buying a sports model in steel. if the buyers don't want this then the grey market are happy to provide them with a steel model for around the same money or more than a PM version of the model. the only common denominator in all the transactions is the buyer and if folks are willing 'as i see no firearms i assume the deal is not at gun point' to spent double the RRP to own a steel trinket in the hope that the arse will never collapse out of the dream then they and only they should be held responsible for the current situation.
        this isn't housing, food or power its pure consumerism and we have no-one to blame but ourself. look at the price of Heuer and Omega vintage, hell even Benrus are fetching over $2kUS! when speculation starts you are either in at the start and kill it, jump too late and see little return or the 3rd path of feck that im buying a Steinhart
        should point out that while i use Rolex as the basis, PP and other are just as guilty, in fact i think Rolex took a little longer than expected to follow the PP market strategy (vetted to ensure you are a suitable buyer! eat my shit)

rant over.

p.s if anyone has a seiko spork they want to sell at 2012 prices im only a PM away.
        LMAO! Don’t forget that no one actually owns a PP. They merely look after it for the next generation.....

(what a load of s@#t).

Comment

Working...
        X