Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE: Best places to service vintage watches in NZ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RE: Best places to service vintage watches in NZ?

    Hi all,

    Apologies if I have posted in the incorrect sub-forum or if this has already been discussed (TKNZ newbie here):

    Was wondering where might be best to service an Omega Geneve Dynamic (and vintage watches in general)?

    Any recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated!

    Have a great long weekend everyone.

    Thanks,
    Barney
    Last edited by Barnsey; 02-06-19, 23:41.

  • #2
    Hi Barney, and welcome to Timekeeper NZ. You've certainly posted in the correct sub-forum, so all very well ...With this particular question, it would be useful to know where in New Zealand you are located, so members can make appropriate recommendations.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome Barney.
      Blair at Time Central, Rotorua. Used to be Blair at Watches on Broadway.
      Blair is an absolute master Imo and has done beautiful work on 1968 seiko 6105 and Omega 176 Chrono in the last couple of years.
      If you want any further details just PM me.
      'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

      Comment


      • #4
        I’ve used Ilam watchmakers in Christchurch a few times. Seem to know what they are doing and plenty of ‘watchmakers’ actually working on watches from the look of the place. Somewhat dumb questions including asking for a deposit when I dropped off my IWC for a dry out and service (another story that one) - like was I not going to come back and get a 6k watch? And should really know the difference between a WIS and standard street punter but still have to recommend as did a decent job on it and a couple of Seiko (6309 and H558). Cost was ok as well.
        Last edited by kiwi.bloke; 01-06-19, 16:21.

        Comment


        • #5
          Happy to sort out your Omega and any vintage work Barnsey. I'm based in Kerikeri.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Don View Post
            Hi Barney, and welcome to Timekeeper NZ. You've certainly posted in the correct sub-forum, so all very well ...With this particular question, it would be useful to know where in New Zealand you are located, so members can make appropriate recommendations.
            Hi Don, I'm currently based in Wellington. Don't mind shipping the watch within NZ, although if anyone has any suggestions within Wellington, that'd be much appreciated too .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hammers View Post
              Welcome Barney.
              Blair at Time Central, Rotorua. Used to be Blair at Watches on Broadway.
              Blair is an absolute master Imo and has done beautiful work on 1968 seiko 6105 and Omega 176 Chrono in the last couple of years.
              If you want any further details just PM me.
              Also, thanks for the suggestion 'Hammers', just had a look at Time Central's Facebook page and it looks like Blair does some great work! (will definitely get in-touch with him if I can't find anything in Wellington).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Barnsey View Post

                Hi Don, I'm currently based in Wellington. Don't mind shipping the watch within NZ, although if anyone has any suggestions within Wellington, that'd be much appreciated too .
                Hi Barney. Wellington is a bit short of decent watchmakers unfortunately. There are a couple around, but I don’t know them sorry. I’m sure one of the Kapiti Coasters can chip in and recommend someone local. For the record Capital Watches has a pretty bad reputation so I’d avoid them. Otherwise I’d suggest you post it to a reputable repairer like Blair, Kiwidave, Ilam Watchmakers or one of the good ones in Auckland such as Precision Watches.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I’ll second Kiwidave... top bloke, excellent service.

                  There is also another guy in East Auckland who I take my vintage finds to... PM me if you need details

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LeroyC View Post

                    Hi Barney. Wellington is a bit short of decent watchmakers unfortunately. There are a couple around, but I don’t know them sorry. I’m sure one of the Kapiti Coasters can chip in and recommend someone local. For the record Capital Watches has a pretty bad reputation so I’d avoid them. Otherwise I’d suggest you post it to a reputable repairer like Blair, Kiwidave, Ilam Watchmakers or one of the good ones in Auckland such as Precision Watches.
                    Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated.

                    Spoke to Blair @ Time Central earlier this week and will probably ship the Omega to him in about a week or so .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good job Barnsey,

                      FWIW: Timothy Smith at Milford, or Col'n at Precision, Kiwidave or Blair in 'Vegas all come well recommended by us... Kiwidave recently did a quality job for us on a SEIKO 62MAS plus he is a welcome & regular contributor to the TKNZ Forum. We've sent dozens of jobs to all these gents & have never been disappointed by any of them, they've all done sterling work, from Citizen to Patek. Tim & Col'n are in AK, Blairs in 'Vegas while Kiwidave is a lucky resident of the BOI !
                      Harlan
                      Timekeeper Watch Club
                      Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X