Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Don, Hammers, Sarbie, sjb, shandy, deerworrier, Brucy, LeroyC, for your invaluable comments so far. There have been some interesting observations made and a few of them are similar to my own concerns.

I thought there may have been more responses (8) but I suppose it’s early days. Then again that might be the approximate sum total of our active membership.

Here is a stripped down list (in no particular order) of your concerns as I see them. I will touch on each of them briefly in an effort to get my own views across.

1.The layout of the site isn’t very good.

Personally I find the site cumbersome to use and a bit confusing. I regularly miss new posts as they all seem to overlay each other in one place. Now this may be partly my fault as I don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to computers. The old layout enabled me to see all new posts in all areas at a glance.

2.The redbar incident depleted our active members.

I can’t argue with that. (I can almost hear blackwotsisface) saying that TKNZ is dying. He may well prove to be right.

3.Not enough care or thought for others going through a difficult time.

This was a difficult one for me and somewhat unexpected. My previous job would see me in similar, if not worse situations to the incident in Christchurch (I know I’m not the only one here). It’s something I’ve lived with for a long time, and not something I like to dwell on. Somehow, coming from where I come from and doing the job I did, I completely failed to see that people were reaching out. For that I sincerely apologise.

4.Changing priorities/being in a rut, where watches are concerned.

I reckon I’ve gone through this many times. Sometimes I hate watches and everything that goes along with them and need to take a break. Usually after a good few months I will look down at my watch and miraculously, no longer see the time, but fixate on a shiny baton or lume pot, and I know the bug is back.

There are one or two points I would like to put forward, one of which may be a tad controversial and that is ‘The daily wrist check’ I can’t see the value in this thread as for the most part it is just a never ending line of photos of watches taking up valuable space that we see over and over again. I know it’s the most popular thread on the forum, but for me, all it does is de value the content on the forum.

The other is ‘likes’ Can we see who likes our posts, or is it impossible?

Anyway, that’s about it from my end, and I apologise if I missed anyone out. I haven’t had my afternoon nap today.

I suppose we need to find out if there are any more issues so please feel free to get your oar in too. Perhaps the powers that be, or indeed us mere mortals can get on to fixing them. If that is possible.

One more thing.......A quote from Don from a previous post on this thread.

Let’s make it clear that I don’t condone bullying and harassing behaviours on line, but there is a reason for what you witnessed and it is something that, IMO, is needed.

Absolute pearl (sorry Don.....couldn't resist)
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Excellent discussions here and all the main points covered.

My inability to take a decent photo and post it since the last upgrade has been a frustration. It has definitely reduced my participation but not my visits.

Fact is I like watches. I also enjoy the connection with other kiwi watch people, some have become friends. Many of the folks on here are very funny too, glowing like a Chernobyl squirrel is the best description of lume I’ve ever seen.

If I master the technology I will post more.

Meantime I will continue to be here as often as I can, learning always and sharing as seems appropriate.

And I will continue to wear a watch that fits the mood of the wearer, the day, the country or to respect those around me. Luckily I have some choice, last count there were xx watches in the collection.

My thanks go to the TKNZ community and their watches, wear them in good health.

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
        ...2 pretty big issues that i don't think it has really recovered from...
        1. the handbags at dawn with the bloke from the gay bar.
        this was for me a prime example of peoples inability to seperate a forum from real world, quite a few boys quit and took some interesting POV with them (some nonsense but some worth reading)

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
        1. The Redbar fiasco was an absolutely ridiculous load of BS. Without being too involved in it all my feeling was that that group was mostly about the things that Don referred to above - ego and bling. I don’t have either of them so I’ve got no interest in Redbar and TKNZ is a happier place without that crap (for me anyway).

Originally posted by captainscarlet1 View Post
        2.The redbar incident depleted our active members.
        I can’t argue with that....

Three senior members have brought this matter up regarding the RedBar incident, so this , I feel, warrants addressing, in particular because I was in the line of fire and/or handbag flings. For long-term members like me, the event was traumatic, not because some external group took an aggressive stance to us, but because we thought that we knew our fellow members at the time well. Our familiarity and ultimately trust for them formed the fabric of our reality. When that conflict occurred, people whom we thought were our friends turned against us, betrayed the trust we had in them, and this tore the perception of reality for us.

We questioned ourselves, “If their friendship to us was a lie, what else in our lives are lies that we’re unaware of?”. And to this day, some of us wonder whether we ourselves were to blame, and together, both factors caused long-term impact on our psyche. Over the last two years, I have slowly come to understand what occurred, and in some way, feel sorry for those people.

These young men are often products of the heroic nature of our modern society, which equips them with education and skill, telling them the possibilities are limitless, while at the same time neglecting to provide them with proper initiation into the realities of life. It leads many to become anxious, frustrated, helpless, impotent, and generally feel put down. In our commercial world, Brands—in particular, Luxury Brands—are quick to sell the dream of fulfilled love, promise of appreciation, and affirmation to these men, most of whom rush in with their credit cards.

On the opposite spectrum, another type of person exists whose aspiration in life is to be the centre of the universe, the centre of admiration. For these people, their mission in life is to find others who will look at them, adore them, and mirror them. Though they seem super-confident, the slightest criticism will make them feel weak, deflated, and vulnerable. They are deprived of the sense of worth within themselves, and gathers men of the first type to make up for those lack.

The first type of men, once admitted into the group run by the second type, projects their worth, which they themselves have, but cannot feel, onto their group. In the process, the group strips each of their individuality, in favour of the collective, which now makes them finally capable of acting and feeling stable. Social groups like this are not that different from collective dependent personality disorder. To these men, the group carries the worth each has given up, and they identify with the group.

“Like one of us, like all of us. Dislike one of us, dislike all of us.” Destructive collectivism at it best, incapable of accepting there are good and bad within... I forgive them—but will never forget.
        Last edited by Don; 05-06-19, 07:58.
        On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

At the risk of being accused of double post (sorry), I have read carefully through the previous posts by respected members, and do have a small request to put to member for considerations. This perhaps affects the procedure at hand.

1. Please remember that Timekeeper Forum NZ is an entity. It may feel to many of us as merely a place to meet and do stuff, like a porch at a mate’s place, your backyard, or the regular park bench. However, we stopped being those things when Harlan took Watch Club on-line in 2009. Being an entity is the only way that this platform can carry our legacy and outlive us all into the hands of future generations.

Therefore, when we discuss TKNZ’s prospects and issues, it is important to dissociate ourselves from the forum, as hard as that may be, especially for some members here who have put in a lot of time and effort over the last decade. To remove, as much as possible, our personal attachments to this entity allows us to plot its course with objectivity. This also means we should be frank withour views about its progress, without fear of offending members—because all members will have removed themselves from the entity. Imagine if you were running a company and having a management meeting about growth and other issues, and your staff were being sensitive about the company they are loyal to and all, nothing much would get done.

This is the reason I have used the word “child” twice—Timekeeper has small parts of us, but it is not us individually.

2. It is important that we first identify and agree upon the underlying causes of the problem, before coming up with solutions. Some of the suggestions that members have submitted so far are excellent, and should be implemented immediately regardless. However, we should not confuse them with solutions to problems that we, at this stage, have yet to fully define and agreed upon.

At this stage, the simplest place to start might be the question…

“Do you think the decline in active membership and participation on Timekeeper Forum has a serious underlying problem?”

A. Yes, and it needs to be identified.
          B. No. The decline is cyclical and/or seasonal, due to IT issues, or RedBar member-grab, and only minor tweaks are required to be great again.

If A, then you are in the same boat as me. If B, then it’s just me being paranoid, and as long as your boat is not called Titanic, all is fine. If members think that a poll should be set up, please let me know—it’ll take 3 yeses from members.
          Last edited by Don; 05-06-19, 07:50.
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

I've been a member of TKNZ for a number of years, and I now feel the need to add my 1.5c worth - even if only to count as another 'active' member.
            I enjoy the forum, and I check in almost every day. I like seeing what the membership is wearing on any given day (especially on Fridays), learning more about watches, seeing what is on the market (I'm still waiting for John's next cull) and reading about what you're restoring, drinking, riding...
            Over my time here I've come to respect the knowledge and views of many of the members here, and I like to think I've learned a thing or two as well.
            I've met a couple of members for face-to-face deals, and they've both been good guys. I've also had a few great PM / e-mail deals with some other members - so I have a generally favourable view of the membership. The debacle a while back hasn't changed my opinion of those who have remained.
            Most of my posts have been WAYWOF, on the old joke thread, and I've had the odd item for sale. I haven't posted a review as I'm a real noob when it comes to watches, and I'm afraid I'm still a bit of a magpie. I don't post about current events as I recognise that I'm not at all PC and have a warped sense of humour - but I don't like to set out to offend others (it's true!!).
            I appreciate this forum for what it is - which to me, is a local place where people that share a common interest can (respectfully) share their knowledge, experience, thoughts and photos, seek advice, and buy or sell the odd item (I'm still waiting dw!).
            "at least it won't be a down-trou" - Dean Barker 07/09/2013 (PDT)

Comment

Originally posted by chua View Post
              seeing what is on the market (I'm still waiting for John's next cull) and reading about what you're restoring, drinking, riding...\ (I'm still waiting dw!).
              the final one is in progress! found im only wearing 2 or 3 at most and they are pretty much all quartz hopefully i will have the posts up this weekend if the world ever stops getting in the way.

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
              Always aim to be that man.

Comment

the final one is in progress! found im only wearing 2 or 3 at most and they are pretty much all quartz hopefully i will have the posts up this weekend if the world ever stops getting in the way.
                I can't wait... I'll hold off spending my pennies.
                Although I do hope it doesn't signal your departure from our fair shores...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                "at least it won't be a down-trou" - Dean Barker 07/09/2013 (PDT)

Comment

Actually I was keen to get some feedback from you regarding A-13A ownership? I'm assuming it is still with you and one of the 2-3 quartz you are mainly wearing? Reason for asking is I was thinking about falling of the wagon and getting one - be good to know your thoughts as I recall you were looking at making something similair originally yourself. Been swapping a pile of emails with Paolo over the last month.

Comment

sounds like an excuse to do a review
                    i'll "try" on the wknd. in short, if you are looking for a rare and interesting quartz timer and are happy to spend over $1k on a nano brand (1 bloke with an itea defo qualifies as a nano brand) then i can't recommend anything more than the A-13A, i have it on a 20mm sinn rubber and its my daily. legible, simple and a great back story. Paolo is a top bloke too, he sank a lot of effort and energy into his idea and i think it paid off in full.

as my quartz daily it went up against the Sinn ezm2, GS 3hand, Newmark 6BB, precista 18q cosc and the Gshock, won the lot and is the 1 of 4 to stay.

is Paolo planning another run?

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

l
                      sounds like an excuse to do a review
                      i'll "try" on the wknd. in short, if you are looking for a rare and interesting quartz timer and are happy to spend over $1k on a nano brand (1 bloke with an itea defo qualifies as a nano brand) then i can't recommend anything more than the A-13A, i have it on a 20mm sinn rubber and its my daily. legible, simple and a great back story. Paolo is a top bloke too, he sank a lot of effort and energy into his idea and i think it paid off in full.

as my quartz daily it went up against the Sinn ezm2, GS 3hand, Newmark 6BB, precista 18q cosc and the Gshock, won the lot and is the 1 of 4 to stay.

is Paolo planning another run?
                      Still has them - assembles to order from the sound of it. I understand an automatic version is being tested / developed as well - improvements seem to be a drilled lugs (which sounds V cool) and pushers / crowns on the other side of the case. Movement is a flyback Dubois Dupraz 2079 that necessitates a thicker case. I'm probably more aligned to the quartz version but worth mulling over the (limited) edition automatic version which I assume will also be somewhat more costly!

A more detailed review would be V interesting.

BTW, Does the Sinn rubber fits the case profile - actually have a uncut new Sinn from my EZM1 days. Did you ever post a pic of it in this guise?

Comment

• deerworrier
                        deerworrier commented
                        Editing a comment
                        sinn fits well. not perfect, there is a 2mm gap between top of strap and top of lug at case but it looks good. i'll get a few pics up on wknd.

Hey all. Just clocked in for the first time in ages. Why haven't I been participating? Nothing to do with this forum at all. I just get really busy at times. Combine this with an upgrade process involving another hobby and My sons first year playing rugby at his boarding school, I'm just short on time. Also here in Raglan the Internet is crap. A lot of the time it won't even support Internet Radio so I jus shy away from Internet based stuff. Yep, no Rugby World Cup for us here.
                      With regards to any trouble that may have happened here I have no comment as I didn't witness it. I have drifted away from another watch site due to a rather dominating personality there. My choice entirely though. Hobbies are for pleasure and enjoyment, not conflict. To ensure I enjoy myself on forums like this, sometimes I need to just back off and let things pass. I am short tempered and low on idiot tolerance. I hope this forum keeps going! It has been a great place to chill.
                      Craig.

Edit. Can't believe the post actually came through. Our Interweb has been THAT BAD. We also have been completing stage two of the renovations...There is no stage three thank the gods!
                      Last edited by mechanalogue; 05-06-19, 20:30.

Comment

I think we need another thread on John’s collection I love the A13 and the Newmark! Two gorgeous watches that fearfully might be too small for me “scream”

Apologies for adding to the derailment

Don, thank you for continuing to add your words of wisdom.

If you’re doing a poll I’m not sure A&B cover it

Are there major issues? Not sure they are major, but issues, very possibly?

We’re playing a numbers game here and the reality of this wonderful wee place means we are always going to be light compared to the bigger overseas players. I think if I blindly said my boats sailing, it would likely hit an iceberg.

Your comments on the entity part are bang on the button and is one of the reasons I will often state “imo”. Perhaps the entity needs to have a feedback location and a regular pow wow to look at feedback and discuss how we continue to keep the entity alive.

With any entity there is administration and it’s maybe something senior members or mods need to take on board to actively support on a raft of duties?

I’ll come back to membership again and having a good understanding or an either passive or participative membership is vital to knowing where we are at.

I think Cap as a valued senior member has opened up a great discussion that should take place on a REGULAR basis amongst the entities nominated representatives.

Cap has captured some good points as a starting basis for some needed discussion. Chua, or KC I think it is as I used to know him, has given a good perspective also about keeping on topic or related topics... imo. We may think we know each other after years of reading each other’s posts, but our social and political personalities or psychological make up as Don has pointed out may very well set us apart.

John, if fairer shores beckon, cast your sail, don’t look back and never wander far from the telegraph office!

Comment

It is great to see some of the old guard (to me at least) back on the forum. The forum claims me to be a 'senior member' but really I think that is due to post count. I do not have much to really offer in this thread as this is the only forum I visit regularly and add to regularly. Other forums I vampiracally suck practical information from to learn.

I am anti social by choice, but love a beer and a catch up with mates (even a green tea).

Regarding the Redbar incident (of which was before my time but curiousity is killing me ). I met a member the other day and was invited into the group, however not all of us are on Facebook, and alot of us dont want to be.

I enjoyed chua's post highlighting some of the advantages of TKNZ and the reasons he visits. I think that is mostly the same as myself but there is also part of me that understands that without the content there would be no reason for anyone to visit so I try and keep things up. It may just be posting a wristy but that seems to be oxygen here and feeling like a newbie I dont have the confidence, expertise and experience behind me to serve up anything worth great discussion...and sometimes this whole wristwatch thing seems shallow and like we are all just showing off- that is my biggest internal struggle on a site like this but the fact we love seiko as much as rolex (probably more) is to me our greatest strength.
                          I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Comment

Originally posted by Sarbie View Post
                            I dont have the confidence, expertise and experience behind me to serve up anything worth great discussion...
                            i think this is part of the issue for a lot of new members, don't wait to know stuff before posting mate. look at some of the inane crap i and plenty of others have posted back before every page was WAYWOF threads!
                            questions, answers and opinions are where the conversations come from.
                            i bet there are more than a few new members who won't buy quartz because its a cheap movement or just don't get Grand Seiko or would never buy a $500 chinese watch! or even hate birth year watches. make the comment and see the opinions and explanations flow.

start a thread, tell us what your favourite movement is (not morning but watch) tell us why and watch everyone else chime in with spring drive, manual wind, super quartz, HAQ etc.

and its not shallow, its fecking pointless! completely and utterly archaic tech that we can all survive without. but the idea that 100 tiny moving parts or a piece of shaking glass can be stuck on the wrist and regulate your day is, for us, i great thing.

Comment

start a thread, tell us what your favourite movement is (not morning but watch) tell us why and watch everyone else chime in with spring drive, manual wind, super quartz, HAQ etc.

Righto, there is something i have been thinking about for a while and acted upon recently, would be great to get others take on it...starting a thread today.
                              I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Comment

Working...
                              X