X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sjb
    commented on 's reply
    Crazy thing is he got the ticket off his boss - who had been to the 1st leg in Barcelona, given up hope (clearly hadn't been listening to our anthem enough!), and gave my bro his ticket for the return. I've been to some boss nights at Anfield, but nothing like that. Just wish I could have timed my trip better and been at home for the parade on Sunday.

• Scouser
    commented on 's reply
    your brother must have been on cloud nine for the Barca game....id given up and hadnt even checked for flights to Madrid........still cant believe it now......

• sjb
    replied
    Originally posted by Scouser View Post
    Ive been a lucky boy and out of the country too.....Vietnam on holiday and Madrid to watch the mighty Reds lift our 6th (yes sixth) European Champions league title......
    I was in the UK for almost 5 weeks (a few days in Rome in between). Just typical I was at a gig at the same time as the final (Muse in London) on the 1st. Phone reception in the stadium - West Ham's ground/London Stadium - was non-existent, so had to keep legging it outside to check on the score. My brother was at the semi at Anfield.

Leave a comment:

• Scouser
    replied
    Ive been a lucky boy and out of the country too.....Vietnam on holiday and Madrid to watch the mighty Reds lift our 6th (yes sixth) European Champions league title......

Leave a comment:

• harlansmart
    commented on 's reply
    Same here but do you see that bothering me lol... I've learned most things (of the very few things I have learned) by trying & doing it the wrong way first a few times. This is one place where I haven't noticed too much bullying or sneering... you should be pretty safe here saying whatever you like PSYCHED.

Still want to animate your avatar however, that could be improved on.

'generally I don't have sufficient expertise to comment beyond, "that looks amazing" lol' - psyched

• kiwi.bloke
    commented on 's reply
    There was an earlier thread I seem to recall where an eyebrow or something was raised over using the forum to arrange or inform when the RedBar group was meeting? Again not sure why the are being lumped together?

• kiwi.bloke
    commented on 's reply
    Why is it referred to as the ‘RedBar’ incident/issue in any case? In my mind / memory it was always the gold iwc thread. Certainly when I detailed my thoughts that is how I recalled the thread - and it certainly is one of the couple I referenced that gave me pause over how it evolved.

It’s a valid comment that we should be able to coexist. Definitely instagram and I assume a closed Facebook page should be able to compliment a forum. Also true that formats and how people post and share are evolving. Even for some Instagram is old hat and Facebook is old School! Frankly I’ve never mastered instagram so maybe I need to wait for the next big thing.
    Last edited by kiwi.bloke; 12-06-19, 12:13.

• LeroyC
    replied
    Originally posted by waikato7 View Post

See mate, there’s one of the issues right there. All watches are welcome. Seiko are as prominent as anything. I love my SKX as much as any of my watches. And at GTG’s it’s quite often the obscure cheap watches that get the most interest. So you’re assumption that RedBar wouldn’t offer that is just plain incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m actually really pleased to hear that. That wasn’t the impression I was given by one person in particular right at the very start and I guess I’ve just wrongly assumed that’s how it was. I’m not in Wellington so I’m still unlikely to join, but as I said happy to hear the group is more welcoming of all than I was led to believe.

Leave a comment:

• captainscarlet1
    replied
    Hi gents, I would respectfully ask that this RedBar issue is shelved. We aren't going to get anywhere if we keep digging up old bones. I believe that those affected should step back, and forgive and forget. There is absolutely no reason why the two groups can't coexist as both 'entities' are bigger than the personal differences that divide them. While it has been a contributing factor in our slow down, it is far from being the most important one. Personally, I'm pleased to see so many members replying to this thread. Thanks jewels, pando and waikato7 for your input

Leave a comment:

• waikato7
    replied
    Originally posted by LeroyC View Post

To be honest mate I don’t think that you yourself or the fact that you started another group was ever a problem. I was never very involved in whatever went down and I felt some sympathy for people like Jacob who seemed to genuinely want the two to work together and were frustrated by the fact that it didn’t. In saying that there were some other members that were new to both groups who seemed quite happy to just shit on TKNZ and use it for their own gain. And I’ve said it before - as someone of very limited means I’ve always felt welcome as a member of TKNZ, and my $50 watch could sit happily next to someone’s $15k Swiss watch without either one of us batting an eyelid. Until a couple of people came along and that all changed. Those people were also keen initial members of RedBar. Maybe just a coincidence, but it didn’t feel that way. I know it’s probably hard to understand when you’ve got multiple watches in your box that are worth 4 times as much as my car, that’s just the way of the world I guess. I’m happy with my little group of watches, none of which has cost more than $500, and I’m happy that there’s somewhere I can share my interest in watches without that being an issue. I know that RedBar wouldn’t offer that, but if you ever have a GTG at Pascoes let me know.
    See mate, there’s one of the issues right there. All watches are welcome. Seiko are as prominent as anything. I love my SKX as much as any of my watches. And at GTG’s it’s quite often the obscure cheap watches that get the most interest. So you’re assumption that RedBar wouldn’t offer that is just plain incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Jewels
    replied
    Hi TKNZ members

I stopped being an active member here for a number of reasons. I have always considered TKNZ a good place to learn about and discuss watches. For the most part I think the active community here are all great people and the historic content was exceptional (world class even). I may start posting here again as I would not like to see TKNZ die. I also was happy to contribute financially (and did so) when TKNZ needed money to get back on its feet.

The reasons:

1. My opinion on the Redbar effect. This has in my opinion been massively over inflated by some members here. Redbar is a different format of watch appreciation to a more traditional, and perhaps more limited, internet forum. I believe that the two groups could and perhaps should, exist harmoniously and compliment each other. We are all watch lovers after all. Unfortunately there are some here that appear to obstinately refuse to see Redbar as anything other than a threat to their personal sense of self worth. This is unfortunate.

2. There were no regular events or GTG's organised or happening at TKNZ. TKNZ became a little stale and boring, this was starting to become obvious well before I even knew about the global Redbar movement.

3. Some members of TKNZ irritated me with their increasingly arrogant viewpoints. Those individuals that relentlessly pontificate the inconsequential. Those that make accusations and grossly over reach. Individuals that would dither over even offering the lowest level of support to fellow members impacted by the Christchurch attack, as one example. Interestingly enough, Redbar NZ, in contrast, teemed up with New Zealands own Magrette watches and auctioned two watches to raise thousands of dollars for those impacted by the tragedy. I salute Dion's leadership here and would encourage everyone to support such a great NZ company like Magrette. I am currently saving to buy another and a few Seiko's of course!

4. Issues accessing TKNZ and posting pictures made it a chore to be active here.

5. My wife and I added a second child shortly before I stopped frequenting TKNZ. I found myself increasingly busy with family and work commitments. Something had to give. Ultimately I chose Redbar over TKNZ to spend my decreasing amount of time dedicated to obsessing over watches. Quite simply, it was more convenient, more fun and far more active. Everyone there is very friendly and welcoming. You can collect Seiko, Casio or Patek and you are treated equally. In fact a good Seiko 5 collection garners as much interest as the exotic swiss watches at gtg's.

6. Ultimately I think I agree with many posts above. TKNZ used to be great, I would like to see it be great again. But if it dies, there are other alternatives that will greatly soften the loss.

I hope to see you all at a watch event some time soon. I am fortunate enough to share regular meals and watch chats with many formerly active TKNZ members. TKNZ in that regard, will never die, perhaps it is just evolving.

very kind regards

Scott.

Leave a comment:

• pando
    replied
    Hi Guys

Firstly I just need to provide an opposing view to Leroy’s above. I’ve been a member of TKNZ for a while but realistically never posted much as forums aren’t really my thing. Im also a member of RBNZ and have been since day one. I too have a very limited watch budget and have most a collection made up of Seiko’s. One of the things I have always found with RBNZ is total acceptance and support in this hobby regardless of how much my watches are worth. It’s just not an issue at all.

Returning to the topic of this thread, I honestly feel that forums in general are becoming less frequented not because of a lack of interest of the hobby but because there are more accessible platforms to meet others who share interests and subsequently share information. It’s a bit like how nobody really uses hardback encyclopaedia’s these days when you can get the same info with a lot less effort.

I find it a bit sad really that we are even arguing about this, those that prefer forums use them. Those that prefer other ways to engage the hobby do that.

Leave a comment:

• LeroyC
    replied
    Originally posted by waikato7 View Post
    Ok here’s my thoughts...

I started RedBarNZ. It was never meant to compete with or detract from TKNZ. I was always firmly of the opinion the two could and should coexist. I still am of that opinion actually. One should promote and drive watch enthusiasts to the other.

To be honest I’m not sure how this spiralled out of control and turned into a bit of a war.

Having said that reading thru this thread I can see how it did. To be blunt/honest a lot of the reactions here have been a bit pathetic. And quite embarrassing. Gay bar? Enough said.

RedBarNZ continues to go from strength to strength. There are no egos. It’s not about bling. Or how expensive your watch is. And anyone with that opinion has a chip on their shoulder and needs to get over it.

I have met a ton of top guys since I started RedBarNZ. More and more are coming out of the woodwork. Every day. The Facebook page would see more posts in a day than TKNZ does in a month. Why is that? Have a read back thru this thread and check the opinions of those that are left here. I could be wrong. But the evidence would suggest I’m not.

Don, I’m sure you are a nice man with a wealth of knowledge. But you really do come across to those of us who don’t know you as very condescending and arrogant. I’m sorry, but you just do.

RedBarNZ has bought the watch community in NZ together far quicker and more effectively and a far larger scale than TKNZ. And I predict it’s only going to get bigger.

As an example we are having our next gtg in July. Partridge Jewellers is hosting us. We had to cap numbers at 50. It was fully subscribed the night I posted it on the Facebook page. There will be some brand support. It will be an awesome night with some great people. Talking watches. Drinking beer. And TKNZ is doing what exactly??

I rest my case.

I still firmly believe the two can and should coexist and get along. Promote watches/beer/friendships etc... but I have to say after reading the opinions and thoughts of the regulars here, it’s unlikely.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

To be honest mate I don’t think that you yourself or the fact that you started another group was ever a problem. I was never very involved in whatever went down and I felt some sympathy for people like Jacob who seemed to genuinely want the two to work together and were frustrated by the fact that it didn’t. In saying that there were some other members that were new to both groups who seemed quite happy to just shit on TKNZ and use it for their own gain. And I’ve said it before - as someone of very limited means I’ve always felt welcome as a member of TKNZ, and my $50 watch could sit happily next to someone’s $15k Swiss watch without either one of us batting an eyelid. Until a couple of people came along and that all changed. Those people were also keen initial members of RedBar. Maybe just a coincidence, but it didn’t feel that way. I know it’s probably hard to understand when you’ve got multiple watches in your box that are worth 4 times as much as my car, that’s just the way of the world I guess. I’m happy with my little group of watches, none of which has cost more than $500, and I’m happy that there’s somewhere I can share my interest in watches without that being an issue. I know that RedBar wouldn’t offer that, but if you ever have a GTG at Pascoes let me know.

Leave a comment:

• waikato7
    replied
    Ok here’s my thoughts...

I started RedBarNZ. It was never meant to compete with or detract from TKNZ. I was always firmly of the opinion the two could and should coexist. I still am of that opinion actually. One should promote and drive watch enthusiasts to the other.

To be honest I’m not sure how this spiralled out of control and turned into a bit of a war.

Having said that reading thru this thread I can see how it did. To be blunt/honest a lot of the reactions here have been a bit pathetic. And quite embarrassing. Gay bar? Enough said.

RedBarNZ continues to go from strength to strength. There are no egos. It’s not about bling. Or how expensive your watch is. And anyone with that opinion has a chip on their shoulder and needs to get over it.

I have met a ton of top guys since I started RedBarNZ. More and more are coming out of the woodwork. Every day. The Facebook page would see more posts in a day than TKNZ does in a month. Why is that? Have a read back thru this thread and check the opinions of those that are left here. I could be wrong. But the evidence would suggest I’m not.

Don, I’m sure you are a nice man with a wealth of knowledge. But you really do come across to those of us who don’t know you as very condescending and arrogant. I’m sorry, but you just do.

RedBarNZ has bought the watch community in NZ together far quicker and more effectively and a far larger scale than TKNZ. And I predict it’s only going to get bigger.

As an example we are having our next gtg in July. Partridge Jewellers is hosting us. We had to cap numbers at 50. It was fully subscribed the night I posted it on the Facebook page. There will be some brand support. It will be an awesome night with some great people. Talking watches. Drinking beer. And TKNZ is doing what exactly??

I rest my case.

I still firmly believe the two can and should coexist and get along. Promote watches/beer/friendships etc... but I have to say after reading the opinions and thoughts of the regulars here, it’s unlikely.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• deerworrier
    commented on 's reply
    Ha! the language of the WIS. "Not bloody likely........although"
Working...
X