Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explorer II 16570 whats your take....did i do the right thing getting it now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer II 16570 whats your take....did i do the right thing getting it now?

OK guys, some of you may know I got an exp2 a couple of weeks ago.

My reasonings were that I had wanted one for quite a while now, since I got serious about watches a couple of years ago, and was becoming concerned they would become too expensive for me. Also potentially the chance of buying in NZ would become less as 'stock' dried up.

Now im not going to get hurt if someone says you should have got it last year (i couldn't) or that they think they are riding high and going to come down in value. Or that Rolex is a bubble, or that its the dog of the range. I am aware of some opinions from overseas but thought a local take would be interesting.

I am seeking opinions because I pulled the trigger, but could've not.
    I'm curious? Cheers
    I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

I'm looking forward to catching up again and trying it on . If you'd wanted one for a while I bet you're still more than chuffed with it. I'd always loved the Exp1 but didn't like the change from 36 to 39mm. Still, wish I'd bought one when I had the chance (bought my Speedie instead). Personally, I prefer the white dial version but both are still great pieces and colour is always going to be a personal, subjective thing. Other than watch nerds like ourselves nobody is ever going to notice you've even got one on, so I'd always say buy the watch you want, for the reasons that you want it, and that should be enough. Enjoy your watch, I know I would.
    If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

This Thread is worthless without photos...Pics or it didn't happen these are the comments you will see everywhere on watch forums. we are visual creatures and love looks at other peoples stuff. it also helps when referencing comments.

i think i have said a few times on here that for me the best rolex do is the Air king, explorer, date just range. i think this is where they excel, simple, well thought out tough little SOB's that seem to run forever. 2nd for me is the explorer II. another well through out design (the blatant copies, design Q's seen in most other brands confirm this) the polar dial would be my choice for something different, i like the way it pops and gives a subtle, softer look to the watch as a whole.
      folks will get caught up in the movement debate, the true gmt v home gmt but thats not really an issue unless you make it one. the fact the 16570 was in the line up for 2 decades shows it was a popular/feasible watch for rolex.

in terms of when to buy? i don't think rolex have sales and they don't seem to be adjusting pricing down so the time to buy is when you have the spare cash to do it and lets be frank, you're not likely to lose on 99% of rolex purchases and if you do it won't be much or the world has collapsed and your watch residuals are the least of your concerns!
      “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
      Always aim to be that man.

Comment

The Rolex Explorer II ref 16750 are great watches. Had a white one for quite a while, sold it intending to get a black one but never quite found the right one (yet). Also thought I’d move into a white Milgauss, but got the GS bug and most of mine seem to be white or cream dialed so that killed that plan. Definitely one watch I miss and I’m with DW, one of my favourites in the Rolex range. Be interesting to see where they go in terms of value.

Comment

I think you pulled the trigger at the right time. The watch will continue to go up - black dial steel sports Rolex always seem to appreciate in value. Did you get it with any papers? Can remember if you mentioned that the other day we met.

Comment

• Sarbie
            Sarbie commented
            Editing a comment
            They came with box and Rolex service card from 2016.

Here's proof ha ha. Just got it back yesterday from having it pressure tested, regulated and the bracelet polished. Its Y serial so holes case and solid end links.
          Very comfortable watch and definitely not an attention grabber.
          Love the white dial too just like everyone but I didnt get the opportunity. I'm not upset about having the black dial though.

Comment

Oops pics didnt load.
            Thanks for all the input guys.
            Retlaw interesting points and exactly the kind of info I was hoping for, I know you have your finger on the Rolex pulse so cheers.

SJB for a Rolex it definitely is stealthy/under the radar.

Kiwi now I'm going to think I've got your watch ha ha....and DW here's the photos, clearly my phone or tapatalk skitzed out.

Comment

I reckon you did the right thing. I'm priced out of the market for a 'sub date' now because I waited too long. I can't see the Rolex bubble bursting any time soon either.
              Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Originally posted by captainscarlet1 View Post
                I reckon you did the right thing. I'm priced out of the market for a 'sub date' now because I waited too long. I can't see the Rolex bubble bursting any time soon either.
                Thanks Cap that is exactly what I feared might happen and waiting for a white one while the prices go up seemed like a bad idea....I mean how many are likely to come up for sale in NZ? By the time one comes up they could be getting closer to 10k.

Getting my black bay 58 kind of opened my eyes up a bit. I didnt want it on leather but there it was, the deployant on leather didnt seem to fit my wrist properly and threw the whole watch out of kilt a bit. Went back the next day and bought it regardless, put it on a NATO and fell in love. If I didnt jump in then I wouldn't be able to get it now it's become rocking horse shit. Apparently the AD has only had 2 on bracelet since its release last baselworld.

That's the light in my loo
                Tapatalk is having a crap! Three times I have tried to load this photo...changed to the 58 because power reserve is close to spent.
                Last edited by Sarbie; 06-06-19, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarbie View Post
                  Oops pics didnt load.
                  Thanks for all the input guys.
                  Retlaw interesting points and exactly the kind of info I was hoping for, I know you have your finger on the Rolex pulse so cheers.

SJB for a Rolex it definitely is stealthy/under the radar.

Kiwi now I'm going to think I've got your watch ha ha....and DW here's the photos, clearly my phone or tapatalk skitzed out.
                  I'll be chasing an M series Explorer II...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post

I'll be chasing an M series Explorer II...
                    Is that for the 3186 movement Kiwi? Wont you have to get hands on with it before buying to do the 24 hr hand wiggle test? Nice if you can get it, real nice!

Comment

Yup. Not really much difference between the movements but it does set it apart.

Comment

Love the Explorer. Had a polar dial and sold it - and yes one of the few I do regret selling. So enjoy, good choice.
                        'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Thanks Hammers. Looks like everyone reckons timing was ok.
                          Cheers everyone

nice to add one shame i had to let a few go...but not all of them

Comment

Working...
                          X