Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen this model seiko quartz diver before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen this model seiko quartz diver before?

Hi guys...went hunting on ebay over the last few days and when this popped up I put in an offer and it was accepted.

Reference is 7n42-60A0

It just appealed to me straight away and the offer was almost instinct...or perhaps "I flinched and ended up owning it" might be more accurate. Seems uncommon from my digging.

Holding my breath hoping when it arrives from Germany I can get it watertight.

There are photos from 2 auctions I found, the one I won and another recent auction for the same watch (serial number and wear marks match).
    Clearly it will benefit some elbow grease and there is some hair? coming out of the case back...dont worry it didn't break the bank and the movements can still be had if needed, the hands and dial look great and I am having a quartz fling (picking up my 9f GMT in 2 weeks- yay. I suppose this is a distraction as the waiting is hard ha ha.

Any opinions/knowledge at all would be welcomed. Cheers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	53326 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.9 KB ID:	53327 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	53328 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (10).jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	53329 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (11).jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	53330 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (14).jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	53331 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (13).jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.7 KB ID:	53332
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sarbie; 15-10-19, 14:20.
    I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Should clean up well. Look forward to seeing it here in due course.

Comment

• Sarbie
      Sarbie commented
      Editing a comment
      hope so tempus

yeah,I remember it was a bit common in Europe

lucky hunt,100% original bracelet included

Click image for larger version

Name:	181ef2b9244b358f229b49b26a851990.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	53344

Gold version 7N43 6A00

Comment

wow nsr is that yours? its so mint! Thanks for the great info about the bracelet and Europe. I guess maybe it was europe only model and explains why there is little to no info on it on the net.

Comment

Sorry, Sarbie, I just saw this thread now...

Originally posted by Sarbie View Post
        ...I guess maybe it was europe only model and explains why there is little to no info on it on the net.

There's no info on the net because you have an incorrect case reference number If you take a closer look at the seller's photo, you'll see it.

Look up "7N42-6A0A", and you'll find many of its siblings. The bracelet is covering the serial number, but I'm guessing early-1990s. "15 BAR" means it is likely made in Japan.
        On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Thanks for the info Don and pointing out the reference, the blame there is on my penmanship or keyboard skills or faulty brain hand communication. It was by using the case back reference that I found the previous sale of the watch with matching serial number etc.

I have seen the siblings but not much with Pepsi bezel and cyclops.

Interesting piece of info on the 150m connection to Japan made.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated Don, I was hoping you'd find this thread.

Comment

I have seen the siblings but not much with Pepsi bezel and cyclops.

Interesting piece of info on the 150m connection to Japan made.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated Don...

Ok, that’s great, Sarbie. What I was referring to with regards to the “15 BAR” is not so much to the depth rating (150 m), but rather how it is inscribed as “15 BAR” instead of “150 m” The former is usually a pointer to Japan-made Seiko.

I did some more digging around, though not sure I can add much to what you may have already found. If you are looking to verify the authenticity of this piece, then rest assured, as it is authentic. No aftermarket parts are made for these watches. I have actually found quite a few that looks like yours on the web—Pepsi bezel insert and Date magnifier are model-correct.

These “Sports 150” are not actually true diver’s watch, but are diver-style sports watch, or some call them sports divers. You can look at them as descendants of the SilverWave “swimmers”. The Sports 150 is to 1990s Seiko as the Seiko 5 Sports 200m is to modern Seiko, or Orient Mako/Ray is to Orient. Here’s an earlier model of the Sport 150 from 1986, though with a different quartz caliber…

The quartz movement in your 7N42-6A0A is the Cal 7N42, which equipped a wide range of Seiko watches, though mostly gents and dress watches. This is a standard quartz movement with an accuracy of +/- 15 sec/month and 3-year battery life using SR920SW cell. The common consensus seems to be that this 7N42-6A0A and other colour variants of the watch were manufactured in the early-1990s. In fact, all that I saw have a serial number starting with “1”, and along this consensus would place them in 1991.

However, I could not find such watch in the Seiko Catalog 1991 (Japan Domestic Market). Further more, within the JDM collection, there were no watches with Cal 7N42 until 1995. So, two possibilities of either 1) this Sports 150 7N42 is from 1991, but produced only for markets outside of Japan, or 2) this watch is from 2001, a period that the Cal 7N42 powered a number of watches. I do not have a 2001 JDM catalog, so could not say for certain. Though, I would lean towards Possibility 1.

An example of a 1990s Seiko that was intended for overseas market only is this 1997 Seiko “Sports 200” Automatic (4S15-6010)…

The above watch did exist in Japan, but as the 4S15 Alpinist (4S15-6000). You’ll note also that this Sports 200 also has a date magnifier, and yes, your 7N42 Sports 150 with the cyclops over the date is correct. Others that you find on the web without the cyclops has either a replacement crystal or have taken the magnifier off. Your watch came from a period when such watches were usually bought for rough activities, and most would have their protruding magnifier scratched due to the cyclops being merely hardened mineral glass.

The cyclops on the 4S15 Sports 200 / Alpinist are harder to scratch, being Sapphlex (proprietary Hardlex with sapphire coating).

I agree that there hasn't been much written about these Sports 150 7N42. Perhaps the market needs more time to appreciate them. Our discussion on this thread is now probably the most anyone has ever written about them
            On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

I agree that there hasn't been much written about these Sports 150 7N42. Perhaps the market needs more time to appreciate them. Our discussion on this thread is now probably the most anyone has ever written about them
              [/QUOTE]

Perhaps we have got the ball rolling Don

Appreciate your time writing on and researching this "little swimmer" which is how I will refer to her from now on . I really like the idea of the skin diver type of watch due to the slimmer cases and of course the quartz calibre helps here too. Really I think all the attention on 200mtr+ divers (mine included) could be spread a little more. When I got my explorer 2 it sealed the deal for me and allowed me to begin to move on from concentration on grunty divers.

thanks again Don, going to strap on my Seiko Turtle or Tudor Pelagos now
              Last edited by Sarbie; 19-10-19, 09:41.

Comment

Reminds me how the 'numbers' do not relate to actual 'pressure resistance'... there used to be a real in depth, thread on this subject but I cannot find it... basically the numbers written on the watch indicate the intended purpose of the watch, it's all formal, and governed by the ISO Standard Association.. and goes (something) like:

Water Resistant 30m 100ft 3BAR: Means it's suitable for washing your hands type immersion levels

Water Resistant 50m 165ft 5BAR: Means you can now swim/snorkel with your watch on w/out fear

Water Resistant 100m/ 330ft 10BAR: This is suitable for surfing, skin diving, gathering paua + scollies etc

Water Resistant 200m 660ft 20BAR: Water skiing, surfing, proper skin diving etc, you can get decently wet

Divers 200/300m 660/1220ft 20/30BAR: Wear it while carrying out recreational SCUBA diving missions

Divers 300m Mixed Gas: Now you are diving in the mixed gas / oxygen enriched environment, i.e. you are a SAT diver

Note: ROLEX Submariner 300m and SEIKO Tuna 300m (Mixed Gas Rated) are thus intended and rated for different purposes, the SEIKO's 300m Mixed Gas rating trumps that of the mighty ROLEX Submariner SCUBA divers rating.

Harlan
                Timekeeper Watch Club
                New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

• Sarbie
                  Sarbie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow 100m is all you need to go over the falls and get pummelled at Piha! So I guess that means 100m is fine for bombs off the footbridge at Raglan too!

I don't know if this watch line was for the european market,but I remember it was wear in about the late 90s early 2000I don't know if this watch line was for the european market,but I remember it was wear in about the late 90s early 2000

wow nsr is that yours? its so mint! Thanks for the great info about the bracelet and Europe. I guess maybe it was europe only model and explains why there is little to no info on it on the net.
                Isn't my,I have took the photo from web

I have 1 pepsi similar to your,just a bit older

Click image for larger version  Name:	GEDC0416.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	53544

7546 6049 (American market) 1988

I don't know if this watch line was for the european market,but I remember it was wear in about the late 90s early 2000

Seiko 7N42 - date

Seiko 7N43 - day/date

Sorry I wrote 7N43 instead of 7N42

Last edited by NSR; 20-10-19, 16:00.

Comment

• Sarbie
                  Sarbie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info NSR...that 7546 6049 looks pretty minty fresh too!
              Working...
              X