Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch cleaning/reviving

Hi all

I have found my old daily watch and its looking somewhat... dilapidated.

It hasn't been worn for over 10 years - at least.

What is the best way to give the old girl a new lease of life? Do I just drop it off to any jeweler? I have no skills (or interest, to be fair) in DIY

I am in South Auckland

Pic:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fpLpDGVl.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	53946

there are limits to a refurb! the pic makes it look like it went through a salt water rock tumbler
    depends what you want to spend? can say for sure to bring it back to its glory days will be more than the watch is worth.
    possibly just drop it in for a sonic bath and check the inside, im guessing the battery will need changed and hopefully hasn't leaked.
    the local boys in jafaland will point you in a direction.
    my first watch as a teenager was an Olympic diver.
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Comment

I was wondering if the watch case and bracelet are made in solid Steel

Generally we have to test the movement and if all watch component are in working conditions,as the crown for exemple, or the glass gasket as well,
      Remove the movement from the watch case
      Disassembling the watch case and bracelet
      Cleaning all parts
      Spring bars checking
      Reassembling

Personally I have restored watches in more worn conditions compared to your watch actually status but
      I agree with deerworrier

If this watch has sentimental value for you, you can ask jeweller to do it,otherwise the job cost will be expensive if compared wit the value of the watch
      ''Suum cuique tribuere,,

''Sic transit gloria mundi,,

Comment

Never take a watch repair to a jeweller! They will send it "somewhere" and take forever, then charge the Earth. Find and look after your proper, qualified,local watchmaker. You will get a better, faster,cheaper job, and help keep him operating,(there are not many left.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments gents. The watch does have some sentimental value but I like the idea of finding and cultivating a good "local" watchmaker. Are there any pointers for some in Auckland (South would be ideal) or should I just check the wise Mr Google?

Comment

+1

Never take a watch to a 'jeweller', thats asking for it... even 99% of the so called 'experts' mostly know SFA

Take it to Col'n at Precision Watch Company or Timmy at Milford Watch & Clock tell them we sent you and describe the dilemma... take a present (alcohol usually works).

Originally posted by Horos View Post
            Never take a watch repair to a jeweller!
            Harlan
            Timekeeper Watch Club
            Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Originally posted by AD345 View Post
              Thanks for all your comments gents. The watch does have some sentimental value but I like the idea of finding and cultivating a good "local" watchmaker. Are there any pointers for some in Auckland (South would be ideal) or should I just check the wise Mr Google?
              Yep. Sam at Broadway Time Centre in Newmarket. Good dude. He’s not a TKNZ member, but he knows of the forum and a few members. He’s on the northern side of Broadway not far from Partridges actually.

Comment

Thank you Leroy & Harlan. I will take a little drive in the next week or so and see if I can't get some life breathed back into the old girl

Comment

Working...
                X