• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck resisting, Brucy :D ...Waiting to see a wrist shot of your GS

Do not resist! They are worth every penny

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
      New watch to kick this weeks WAYWOF....
      Click image for larger version Name:	D578BE4C-3E09-4B26-B87F-22E718BE4D84.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.3 KB ID:	54137
      Wow! That’s one heck of a way to kick off WAYWOF ...Congratulations on your new addition, kiwi.bloke. It is, as all above said, a beautiful watch, and I too like the bracelet. IMO, tonneau cases need a bracelet to look balanced.

Thank you for the wonderful review of the piece to start off our Friday.

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
      ...I suspect the purists turned in their graves when it was released as I believe the case and bracelet are Chinese made, but really, isn’t everything these days!
      Well, I would consider myself one of those Russian watch purists—not of the 100% please-no-English-on-the-dial level of purity, but purist none the less. I’m not dead yet, so not turning in the way you put it haha ...Yes, your version of the Amphibia 1967 is a new release, but the Amphibia 1967 is actually not new, and was first introduced in 2007.

I owned one of the first generation (second production lot) in 2012.

See https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...x?id=523835603

To put things into perspective, the original 1967 Anniversary Re-Edition debut before Vostok began production of the current 090 Case, which Chistopol started manufacturing around 2012, if my memory serves me correct. Your watch has a number of upgrades over the Generation I, which a decade ago did draw mixed reactions from purists like myself. However, it was not for the reason you think, and actually the opposite—purists criticized the Re-Issue as being too much like a “modern” watch ...Vostok eventually gave the purists what they wanted—the 090! ...Yes, that's purist for you.

Anyone complaining about the case and bracelet (dial too, actually) being made in China are 1) not a Russian purist, because they don’t understand what Russian watches are about, and 2) don’t know a lot about the state of the watch industry. Those people don’t know that the all-Russian-made Gen I Amphibia 1967, the first production lot, suffered from production defects. Many had premature mineral crystal cracks and even exploding crystal!

Things like sapphire crystal on your 1967 are not within Vostok’s current capacity, neither are quality dial production. At the moment, the Chinese watch industry have superior capability in watch component manufacturing, and it is right that Chistopol outsources these to partners in China. Dials on most Amphibian Special Edition divers are also produced in China, and we’ve (purists included) have enjoyed these for some time. Vostok is right to stick to what they do best—design, movement manufacturing, and casing.

So, watches like your Amphibia benefit from the best of these watch-manufacturing worlds. So, in this particular case, "Made in China" is actually an investment upgrade that Chistopol made to its watches, and not a cost-cutting aspect that may be the case if the same were applied to Swiss or Japanese brands. For people who really know Russian watches or watches in general, this is not a deal-breaker, but a deal-sweetener. I’d be proud of owning something like that.
      Last edited by Don; 08-11-19, 15:32.
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• sjb
        sjb commented
        Editing a comment
        1967 being the summer of love and glorious year of my birth, I'm thinking I should have a look at one of these

Bit late in the day but here we go.....Steinhart Triton 1000m.

Been wearing for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm even later (early here though)...

OMEGA "CONSTELLATION Chronometer" Cal. 751 Ref. 168.029 (1967)

A couple of decades ago, i.e. in my last life watch-wise and before discovering Seiko et al, these vintage Constellation would be among my absolute favourite things to save up for and hunt down. Many here would already know that the Omega Cal. 751, despite its designation, is the last of the revered Mid-500 Series. This particular specimen is more than half a century old, and has an interesting textured dial, which is quite hard to catch in photos. An mechanical engraving machine was used to create cross-hatching on dial surface, and this creates a silvery silk-like effect, similar to a linen dial, but more reflective.

Constellation collectors/enthusiasts refer to this as a silky guilloche dial.

On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• Sarbie
          Sarbie commented
          Editing a comment
          Don, that watch is scratched to hell! Ha ha nice dial and brushing there. For some reason 'Congruence' comes to mind here. Now where'd I learn about that. Nice watch and in great shape!

• Tempus
          Tempus commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice Don.

• Don
          Don commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! ..Sarbie, I should have thought that up when I paid for it ha! Me to pre vious owner, "Since the dial is scratched to hell, maybe reduce the price, please?" ;D

Originally posted by Don View Post

Wow! That’s one heck of a way to kick off WAYWOF ...Congratulations on your new addition, kiwi.bloke. It is, as all above said, a beautiful watch, and I too like the bracelet. IMO, tonneau cases need a bracelet to look balanced.

Thank you for the wonderful review of the piece to start off our Friday.

Well, I would consider myself one of those Russian watch purists—not of the 100% please-no-English-on-the-dial level of purity, but purist none the less. I’m not dead yet, so not turning in the way you put it haha ...Yes, your version of the Amphibia 1967 is a new release, but the Amphibia 1967 is actually not new, and was first introduced in 2007.

I owned one of the first generation (second production lot) in 2012.

See https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...x?id=523835603

To put things into perspective, the original 1967 Anniversary Re-Edition debut before Vostok began production of the current 090 Case, which Chistopol started manufacturing around 2012, if my memory serves me correct. Your watch has a number of upgrades over the Generation I, which a decade ago did draw mixed reactions from purists like myself. However, it was not for the reason you think, and actually the opposite—purists criticized the Re-Issue as being too much like a “modern” watch ...Vostok eventually gave the purists what they wanted—the 090! ...Yes, that's purist for you.

Anyone complaining about the case and bracelet (dial too, actually) being made in China are 1) not a Russian purist, because they don’t understand what Russian watches are about, and 2) don’t know a lot about the state of the watch industry. Those people don’t know that the all-Russian-made Gen I Amphibia 1967, the first production lot, suffered from production defects. Many had premature mineral crystal cracks and even exploding crystal!

Things like sapphire crystal on your 1967 are not within Vostok’s current capacity, neither are quality dial production. At the moment, the Chinese watch industry have superior capability in watch component manufacturing, and it is right that Chistopol outsources these to partners in China. Dials on most Amphibian Special Edition divers are also produced in China, and we’ve (purists included) have enjoyed these for some time. Vostok is right to stick to what they do best—design, movement manufacturing, and casing.

So, watches like your Amphibia benefit from the best of these watch-manufacturing worlds. So, in this particular case, "Made in China" is actually an investment upgrade that Chistopol made to its watches, and not a cost-cutting aspect that may be the case if the same were applied to Swiss or Japanese brands. For people who really know Russian watches or watches in general, this is not a deal-breaker, but a deal-sweetener. I’d be proud of owning something like that.
        Thanks. Pretty much my view as well! I’m pretty happy with it. My research did lead me to understand that some of 40th anniversary 1967 watches had cracking / exploding crystals. Would still like one of them however. Pity it got sold before I got the bug.

Comment

• Don
          Don commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I totally get what you mean. Some modern Vostoks, I never seem to be to get in time--the Amphibia 30 ATM and Compressor 800B27 are elusive to me... Re the old 40th Anniversary, it would be a treat for old owners to find that the new sapphire fits their case, though it was never confirm whether it was the old mineral glass or the case that was the cause. If I had the option, I would likely opt for the newer version like yours.
      Working...
      X