ManCaveLeather goodness...aka thanks Mykola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManCaveLeather goodness...aka thanks Mykola

Yesterday I received some beautiful leather straps from MCL and thought I would share my experience here for everyone.

I am not really into great flourishing writing with lots of hyperbole so the important stuff will be written engineering style...efficiently.

-order placed November 11th.
    -order was custom and outside of 'normal' (2 straps are 110mm x 90mm)
    -straps were completed November 14th.
    -images were supplied November 14th of the straps for my approval before being shipped.
    -straps were shipped with tracking on November 16th.
    -straps were on my doorstep November 27th.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191127_122219.jpg Views:	3 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	54872

Cigars?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20191127_122440.jpg Views:	3 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	54873

The presentation when buying multiple straps is totally top notch, it has been a while since I purchased a single strap from MCL so I am unsure if singles get the box.
    As these straps were for my birthday in a couple of weeks I quickly unboxed...took some snaps, then boxed up again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191127_122512.jpg Views:	2 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	54874

The leather used smells great, like being in an old dark cobblers shop. Thick but not overly so and supple.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	54871

The stitching is very cleanly executed with no globs of glue or stray strands to be seen anywhere.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	54870

Looking forward to buying more straps from Mykola at ManCaveLeather. The value is definitely there, priced between around $110 and $170 including shipping they stand head and shoulders above some of the other cheaper artisinal straps I have purchased.

Another thing to note is that Mykola is a forum member and regularly reads and keeps up with the goings on here at TKNZ.

I would suggest if you are going to buy a strap or 2 or 3 you reach out to him as aTKNZ member.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	54869

I was going to wait until these straps were on watches before posting but then thought with christmas coming up it would be too late for those that want a strap under the tree .

Look for these straps on watches on retlaws strap thread in a couple of weeks
    https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...us-your-straps
    Last edited by Sarbie; 28-11-19, 09:29.
    I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

OK I lied, this one is already in use ...ssshhh

Click image for larger version  Name:	15748883315023064965144334291627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	54876 Click image for larger version  Name:	1574888384670262303250541563842.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	54877

Last edited by Sarbie; 28-11-19, 09:24.

Comment

Looks nice. Should do some research on leather straps. Never been my go to. I don’t find them flexible enough or water resistant for my uses.

Comment

• Sarbie
        Sarbie commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya, some watches of mine will never see leather because of the waterpooflessness but there is something about leather too. The good ones are supple and become better as they wear. That one above is comfy straight away but still has some firmness and if you grip it/pinch it while on wrist it creaks as it breaks in more. They have an ol' timely-ness about 'em. Tried and true like a mechanical movement.

Those look really nice - especially the stitching on the brown one. I really like being able to get custom sizes/lengths, especially with my slim wrists. Must get an order in sometime soon. Under strict instructions from the Mrs to (in her words) "leave the bloody bracelet on the Speedmaster, Mr Fiddle"
      If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

yeah, I have started getting the buckle and tail lengths closer to equal size so the tail doesn't stick out the side of my wrist and the double thickness runs completely under my wrist. The two that I will be opening in about 10 days are like this and a little more so than the last custom strap I ordered (from a cheaper strap maker). That one was kind of a dummy run and I am hoping these will be dialled in just perfectly.

The strap above came from MCL stock and was not a custom length. It is 120 x 70

Comment

Kiwi this might shed some light on the lack of flexibility of leather.
          1 day in and it's already conformed to my wrist shape thanks to the quality of the leather, for me this means flex is not necessary. Some cheap straps take weeks to do this.
          Of course there is some give so expansion/contraction of the wrist doesn't seem to be an issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	15749237660225967596590746935008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	54898
          Last edited by Sarbie; 28-11-19, 18:56.

Comment

Working...
          X