Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Watch Plans for the New Year - what do you want out of 2020 for your collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Watch Plans for the New Year - what do you want out of 2020 for your collection?

Hi TKNZ,

With Christmas and New Year almost here it has got me thinking – how have all of your watch interests or collections developed or changed during 2019, and what do you think you will do in 2020? Did your tastes change over the year, and will that influence anything you buy next year? Perhaps you have a single important purchase in mind for next year, or are you looking to add a number of watches to the box in 2020? Maybe some of you want to downsize or consolidate your collection (a familiar feeling among all of us to a degree I’m sure ), or perhaps you plan on simply enjoying what you already have throughout next year?

For myself 2019 was a year where I have really been finding out what my watch interests are, being fairly new to the watch world as a whole. I bought and sold some entry-level Japanese automatics early in the year, experimented with a couple of microbrand quartz chronographs before moving them on, dipped my feet into vintage waters and one point bought a $40 Raketa off the local auction site. Cue the start of a deep dive into the history, designs and movements of Russian/Soviet pieces that have become the focus on my current collection, which I am immensely enjoying.

In 2020 I’m hoping to buy far fewer watches, as 2019 had a high turnover for me. I have 2 projects on the desk that I am looking to buy parts for to complete over the year. A longer term goal will be to save what I can each month to eventually purchase a vintage Omega in good condition from one of the Constellation/De Ville/Geneve lines near the end of the year, especially after seeing Hammers post his own beautiful De Ville in a WAYWOF a few weeks ago! So all things going as planned I should hopefully only end up with 3 more watches by the end of 2020, but as I'm sure we we all know - the wallet often doesn't survive first contact with a watch that takes our fancy!

Interested to hear what all of you have been up to with your own collections this year, and what you are planning for the future.

G

Nice thread idea Gauss, kind of a state of the nation

My plan is to calm down a bit, 2019 was a pretty big acquisition year for me selling some cheaper (Bulova, Steinhart, Seiko) pieces and obtaining 3 significant ones (Tudor, Rolex, Grand Seiko) which was a bit greedy.

2019 saw me consolidating my own preferences and there are a couple in the box that sit outside of those preferences. However they may be hard to sell as they all have some significance to me (yes I am a sentimental old fool ).

Really, I am feeling satisfied at the moment and adding anything next year would require a significant re-think about the great "retro" watches I have, letting them all go and making another more significant (read expensive) purchase. All this is relative of course. I have found myself getting less obsessive and my trigger finger has become calloused which makes me feel way more mature in my watch collecting journey. I could be interested in a white dialled 40mm or under sports watch, no clicky bezel needed.

The only regret is letting the sarb033 go. That was/is a great watch, albeit on a crap bracelet.

Merry Christmas
    I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Comment

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the spirit of the SARB033 lives on in your GS, Sarbie ...If you still had the SARB, you might feel it is the lesser of the two, both being gent's watches. Though, the fact that you are reminiscing about the '033, despite now owning a GS, is a testament to the 033's inherent qualities and appeal. It has been nearly 10 years that I had the SARB033's predecessor, the Spirit SCVS003, and I would have an 033 in my box in a heartbeat, had it not been that there are already two 6R15 watches in said box.

• Sarbie
      Sarbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Don, you are absolutely right about the GS filling the void the 033 left behind and that was part of my reasoning behind choosing the black dial. That 033 though, heavy hitting watch for the $.

If I get the call, an Explorer 1 and then I think I'm done. Not holding my breath though. I'm fairly happy with my little family of watches, a good mix of the right types for me. I've found myself drifiting away from leather and more into bracelets this past year. I've a few older pieces I hardly ever wear but quite literally can't be bothered selling them, always seems like far too much hassle for a couple of hundred bucks.

The quickset date wheel has finally died on my King Seiko, so if I can find a spare I'll get that in for a service. I'm also finding myself much more drawn to less complications - I'd rather just have a simple 3-hander. I can't read the dates without my glasses and I've absolutely no use for a chrono, as much as I love the look. I think that's why I've been so drawn to the two Tudors I got this year. There's plenty of watches I like the look of, but they're always just that bit too big for me (Marinemaster springs to mind here).

I'd like a vintage Omega if the right one pops up.
    If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

Sell off or give away a few pieces, reduce the collection to the Sinn 104, Ball Fireman Enterprise, Squale 60 Atmos, Jade Monster and maybe the Dievas Vortex. Incoming is a Magrette GMT, need a bracelet for the Sinn, and fingers crossed I get a call to pick up a BB58.

Sent from my CPH1723 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thread, Gauss!

Originally posted by Gauss View Post
        ...A longer term goal will be to save what I can each month to eventually purchase a vintage Omega in good condition from one of the Constellation/De Ville/Geneve lines near the end of the year, especially after seeing Hammers post his own beautiful De Ville in a WAYWOF a few weeks ago! ...
        Originally posted by sjb View Post

I'd like a vintage Omega if the right one pops up.
        Despite their long-standing popularity, 1960s and early-1970s Omega are still very good value for money, especially compared to Rolex of the same era. Provided, of course, that you can pick out an authentic original specimen among the majority sold in the used market. Most on sale, whether it be eBay, TradeMe, or brick&mortar vintage watch vendor (be extremely weary of this type , whether they are in the US or NZ) are inauthentic in some ways. This is where the pitfalls are, and where great care is needed.

There are quite a few of us here on Timekeeper who dabble with vintage Omega, so please feel free to take advantage of the extra pairs of eyes here ...Always more useful to ask for our thoughts on whether A/B/or C that you are looking to buy look okay, than to show us a watch that you've already bought. With these, be very patient--there are many, many out there. May you both find that perfect watch

On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

when the 8110 returns with the A13a i will have my Seiko "group" complete bar the chrono (still not sure which way to go with that one - vintage or modern - dress or sport)
          BFK - Beater/daily, 8110 - vintage, GS GMT - quartz & a mechanical Chrono of some sort.

Two in particular for me this year.
          looking to order myself a Habring Foudroyante and find the right Hanhart mono pusher.

need to shift a few first though
          “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
          Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Not sure what this year will bring.

Looking back at 2019, 7 came into the fold (2 gifted) and sold 4. Mostly I have moved towards older vintage models, seiko and omega are my favorites, but I that is not an exclusive thing.

Likely to have a trip to UK in mid 2020 and via Japan on the way out, so I can't see that trip as not adding something and a GS model could fit; however that again will depend on shifting a couple.

Seiko museum will be a certainty.

Enjoy whatever brings to your 2020 collectection aspirations.

Hammers.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

I'm hoping to finesse my collection a bit more in 2020. Figure out what's getting worn and what isn't, and get rid of those pieces that get little to no wrist time. The more watches I have 12+, I tend to appreciate each one less, even if the "sh***ers" are out of sight and stored away.

In terms of purchasing, after trying to help my mother purchase a JLC I can see myself looking for a master ultra thin myself. Either that or GS dress piece with spring drive movement, provided they come out with a slimmer version of one (11mm or less). However having just purchased my first house this month, it's not in my best financial interest to buy any piece (new or used) that isn't likely to appreciate (ie, Rolex steel sports) - so will see how the year goes.

Of course I'll probably make an exception for any vintage seiko or breitling that pops up

also, I must say that bespoke strap collecting is for me as satisfying as buying the watches themselves, and at a fraction of the cost!

Happy new year!

Comment

• harlansmart
                harlansmart commented
                Editing a comment
                ' that isn't likely to appreciate '

• retlaw4
                retlaw4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Bahaha. It's all gonna crash any minute now H

During the 2019 I have bought some vintage Orient and vintage Citizen I was interested in,

Next 2020 I would like getting 1 vintage Citizen higth frequency 36000 b/h as a 7230

Comment

Nice to hear all of your plans for next year!

Originally posted by Sarbie View Post
                The only regret is letting the sarb033 go. That was/is a great watch, albeit on a crap bracelet
                As much as I've been wanting a vintage Omega I've been buying vintage consecutively for my last few purchases, and that has me thinking simultaneously that I really need to buy a reliable everyday watch that any watchmaker will actually work on when the time comes (unlike most of my vintage purchases, and some of my modern ones as well if I'm being honest - the joys of Vostok I suppose). The discontinued SARB033 is within my admittedly modest budget and seems to offer a lot of watch for the money too, and I guess there's always the option for a Strapcode aftermarket bracelet if the stock one is really terrible - perhaps that might come before the Omega...

Truly too many decisions to make in this hobby at times!

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  Sell off or give away a few pieces, reduce the collection to the Sinn 104, Ball Fireman Enterprise, Squale 60 Atmos, Jade Monster and maybe the Dievas Vortex. Incoming is a Magrette GMT, need a bracelet for the Sinn, and fingers crossed I get a call to pick up a BB58.

Well so much for those plans. Picked up the Tudor, but a BB41. An ADs never gonna call me re a 58, I'm small fry to them. Picked up an early Aqua Terra for a damn good price. Sold nothing. Grew to love the Bulova Lunar Pilot and appreciate the micro Dievas Vortex for its build quality. Getting use out of the G Shocks as beater alarm clocks.

Comment

I didn't know that the BB58 was subject to the same demand/supply issues as the usual Rolex references. The BB41 is a nicer looking and more versatile watch in my own view anyway so good stuff David. Sounds like you are getting a lot from what you have this year

In 2020 I’m hoping to buy far fewer watches …. I have 2 projects on the desk that I am looking to buy parts for to complete over the year. A longer term goal will be to save what I can each month to eventually purchase a vintage Omega in good condition ….

So far I have definitely bought fewer this year, and I fixed up the 2 project watches that were gathering dust in December. Moved one of those on, along with 4 others that were not getting much wear. Held on to a vintage Seiko 7005 that got arrived with me in April. I have shelved my aspiration for an old Omega for the time being - the ones I like are a bit pricey for me just at the moment and I think I need to spend some time researching and familiarising myself with the vintage references Omega used to produce before I commit to anything.

The discontinued SARB033 is within my admittedly modest budget and seems to offer a lot of watch for the money too...

This I did decide to pick up, turned into a bit of an adventure in itself post-purchase but has turned out for the best. I got in when they were still something of a good deal - prices on them presently are really starting to creep up now that they have had their 'discontinued' status for quite some time. Great size and look and the bracelet hasn't given me any issues personally, if I don't want to think actively about what watch to wear on a given day it's the SARB that I'll grab.

Feels like a lot longer than 9 months ago when I created this thread, what a mad year 2020 has turned into!

Comment

I didn't know that the BB58 was subject to the same demand/supply issues as the usual Rolex references. The BB41 is a nicer looking and more versatile watch in my own view anyway so good stuff David. Sounds like you are getting a lot from what you have this year

So far I have definitely bought fewer this year, and I fixed up the 2 project watches that were gathering dust in December. Moved one of those on, along with 4 others that were not getting much wear. Held on to a vintage Seiko 7005 that got arrived with me in April. I have shelved my aspiration for an old Omega for the time being - the ones I like are a bit pricey for me just at the moment and I think I need to spend some time researching and familiarising myself with the vintage references Omega used to produce before I commit to anything.

This I did decide to pick up, turned into a bit of an adventure in itself post-purchase but has turned out for the best. I got in when they were still something of a good deal - prices on them presently are really starting to creep up now that they have had their 'discontinued' status for quite some time. Great size and look and the bracelet hasn't given me any issues personally, if I don't want to think actively about what watch to wear on a given day it's the SARB that I'll grab.

Feels like a lot longer than 9 months ago when I created this thread, what a mad year 2020 has turned into!

Yes definitely doing a regular rotation of about 80% of the collection.

Comment

I have shelved my aspiration for an old Omega for the time being - the ones I like are a bit pricey for me just at the moment and I think I need to spend some time researching and familiarising myself with the vintage references Omega used to produce before I commit to anything.
                        Can never do too much research, Gauss. A mine field out there... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...e-watch-wr0608
                        On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the year and definitely put some focus on my collecting/collection for 2021. Right now I'm really enjoying the researching side of things and generally becoming more educated about the watches that interest me; I've spent this week watching every single episode of Hodinkee's "Talking Watches". I actually feel a somewhat deflated now that I have seen them all lol.

Still plenty of time to add a few more pieces this year and then start honing in on some special ones that will require some hunting, which to me is half the fun of it all

Comment

Working...
                          X