Self-isolation - horological related activities - Stay Connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-isolation - horological related activities - Stay Connected

OK, so here's hoping as a nation we don't all need to self-isolate, however some of us will need to. So what watch related activities can you think of to pass the time?

I'll start:

1. Complete or update your collection inventory (make, model, serial number, purchase price date place, replacement cost, accessories etc.). If you want to, add current market price to sell and compare to purchase price.
    ​​​
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Originally posted by Hammers View Post
    OK, so here's hoping as a nation we don't all need to self-isolate, however some of us will need to. So what watch related activities can you think of to pass the time?

I'll start:

1. Complete or update your collection inventory (make, model, serial number, purchase price date place, replacement cost, accessories etc.). If you want to, add current market price to sell and compare to purchase price.
    ​​​
    Service history as well (last service date). Also a picture - I use my WAYWOF pics.

2. Watch Spas. Case clean. Order a cleaning / polishing cloth online (keep the economy ticking over) and give those cases a clean. Soak and wash in soap those metal bracelets.

Comment

3. Write at least 1 watch review on a piece in your collection, even if plenty exist online. Your favourite, rare model or one that means the most to you.

4. Buy a covid19 memory watch... mine is on its way!

Comment

• Geddy1
        Geddy1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Like it....hmmm what to buy.

Look for all the stuff I cannot find
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

• Hammers
        Hammers commented
        Editing a comment
        Not enough time for that....

Seems public transport is classed as essential service so no lock down for me. But as we will be doing a reduced service and extra time up my sleeve I will be sneaking into my home based watchmaker to get my citizen co22 fully serviced. If he wants to touch it,
      He may insist on a pressure test first in hospital grade disinfectant
      Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

So I guess we can now use this thread to record not the 'what if', but the 'actually this is what I did'.

Take care all.

Keep the posts flowing, TKNZ is a good way to stay connected.
        'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Can anyone help me,

Will places that deliver thai, chinese, indian etc still be able to deliver meals?
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club
          New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

'Delivered food is essential because it helps with isolation and social distancing, including reducing queues at supermarkets.' - Dominos

'Delivered food has, alongside supermarkets, been classified as an essential service. There are many people who will require delivered food during this crisis, including our most vulnerable. We would never do anything to jeopardise the safety of our team members and community, and will continue to deliver safely as long as our communities, and the government, allows.' - Dominos

Comment

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifes...l-4-alert.html

That's a negatory
              If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

Cheese on toast it is.
                Or prepared meals from suoermarket

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Home run. Fitted Eulit blue perlon to my teal Seiko Jumbo. Bingo. Gone from being a watch I’ve never quite been comfortable with from a bracelet/strap perspective to being perfect (for me).

Click image for larger version  Name:	C72EC149-61CB-44F8-9861-4FF3B15B8B8B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	57091

Click image for larger version  Name:	72DAC920-E9BB-49FB-9607-86CE9E980357.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.0 KB ID:	57092
                  oh and my WAYWOF watch is SORTED.

Comment

• Don
                    Don commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The contrast in texture just does it ...Very nice to see you've found a great combo.

BTW, I know that the chronograph hands reset might be just for the photo shot, but when you wear any Seiko vintage automatic chronographs (6139/6138/701x), please don't forget that these must be worn with the chronograph running at all time, except when you take a reading, of course. This is unlike, say, the Swiss ETA/Valjoux 7750, whose default state is chrono-off. On vertical clutch calibers like your 6138, the default state is chrono-running, and not doing so will cause long-term irreversible damage to the clutch plates.

I'm posting it here for others who own these vintage Seiko to see too, so hope you don't mind

• Hammers
                    Hammers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Don, so would the opposite be correct for my manual wind 5719, default is stop/reset?
                    Thanks

• Don
                    Don commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hammers, yes that's correct. The manual-winding Cal 5719 uses coupling wheel to engage and disengage the chronograph, so can be left in the zeroed position with no ill effect. When the 6139/6138 rolled out, Seiko changed to using a vertical clutch to transfer power to drive the chronograph.

When brand new or just after a service, it would be fine to wear these without the chronograph running. Very soon after, however, doing so can be visualized as driving a manual transmission car around with your left foot constantly half-depressing the clutch. While car's clutch plate can be replaced, there are no longer parts to do so on vintage Seiko chronographs. So many reviews and literature online about collecting 6138/6139/701x, but IMO, not enough has been said about their care.

Just ordered some clippers from Noel Leemings. Was due a haircut on Saturday and want to look me best for the ICU ward. Me birthday today, probably one I won't forget! I'm even wearing one of me watches.
                  If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

• Don
                    Don commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Happy birthday, sjb All the very best for the upcoming hospital date. Hope everything turns out much much better than you expect them to.

Happy Birthday. Recently I’ve been wondering what is the right watch for ICU? Obviously an automatic isn’t optimal unless it’s got an extended power reserve.

Comment

• kiwi.bloke
                    kiwi.bloke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually only time I’ve had a watch magnetised was from the pumps and associated machines in an ICU type environment... so good call.

• Don
                    Don commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't know actually, Tempus. I've been lucky to have had very few ICU trips in my life. If magnetization is a concern, then something with no hair spring and no electromagnetic stepper motor. A G-Shock digital? ...Then again, an old manual-wind in need of servicing, holding very little power reserve, and requires frequent winding can make you feel like your recovering body is in super fine shape in comparison?

Hope you are all doing well - I figured if this thread is horology and self-isolation this is the perfect place for this post:

Now that I've had the SARB033 for a few days there are a few cosmetic issues with it that I didn't originally notice, and I thought that seeing as I have little else to do other than work from my home office for the next 4 weeks it would be a nice little distraction fixing as many of them as I could (not wanting to go through a product return given the global situation, plus it's a nice test of what little watchmaking skills I've learnt so far). The movement itself has no issues at all and is running very nicely:

But when I looked closer at the dial there were 3 main issues:

1. Slightly misaligned dial (off to the right).
                  2. Slightly misaligned hands (particularly when lined up at 6 o'clock).
                  3. A large dust particle that had eventually shown up, I would assume from under the chapter ring somewhere.

Part of me wondered whether I should really be doing this myself on my most expensive watch to date, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Firstly I unscrew the caseback and get to the movement (bye bye warranty):

The 6R15D movement within the SARB033 is held in by a movement ring and two retention tabs, unlike the 7S26 series that I am familiar with which uses a plastic holder only. Unscrewing the tabs, lifting out the ring and removing the crown will allow the movement to drop out with no effort. Now we have the movement out, with the crown reinserted:

Thankfully the 6R15 is a hacking movement so the seconds can be stopped while I work. I forgot to snap a picture of the dust particle before blowing it away with a squeezy air blower, it was sitting just left of the 7 o'clock index and was perhaps 0.5mm wide and quite noticeable. But at any rate that is one problem solved and we have the movement out and ready to solve the next ones. It seems barely perceptible, but you can see below the hour hand is a little further past the index at 6 o'clock than I would like:

Using two small screwdrivers and a piece of plastic film over the dial to protect everything, I can pry off the seconds and minutes hands. I can leave the hour hand in place for this job:

Tweaking the hour hand back very slightly, I now have it in position to reattach the hands. Reattachment of the minute hand is the most important as it has to be aligned – the second hand can eventually go on in any position. Again it seems barely noticeable but the alignment is a definite improvement:

The chapter ring makes it hard to see, but the clearance between the hour and minute hands is all good after putting them back on, they won’t catch on each other:

At this stage the seconds hand can go back on. It’s fairly long and sharp so I am careful here not to bend it out of shape or break it. It’s pretty tricky compared to the Vostok seconds hands I’ve reattached in the past, but it’s easier than the seconds on old Raketas. Pressing in the crown, the hack disengages correctly and the hand runs along at its normal 21,600 beats per hour, great!:

Now that this is all done I can put the movement back in the case. Both the inside of the case and the dial/movement get a good dose from the air blower to make sure no dust is there once it’s all back together. Putting a watch back together and seeing tiny speck of dust you missed under the crystal is very annoying. Before screwing down the retention tabs and reinserting the crown, I tweak the entire movement very slightly to the left in the case to correct the misaligned dial problem, leaving enough room for the crown to still fit back in:

Now it’s all looking good in the case and dust-free. I turned the hands around the dial a few times to make sure the hour hand was hitting the indices better, and after this picture reset the time and date:

And back on the wrist in the garden earlier today once I was all finished (any dust on the dial in the pic is outside the case I guarantee!):

It was honestly a little disappointing at first having a $700 or so watch come with these issues, but then again Seiko QC issues are not a new topic in watch world. Even with the problems it arrived with I would expect that it wouldn’t be an exorbitant price for a watchmaker to fix them if I didn’t have any tools myself. The other watches in my collection that I’ve had to work on the most are probably the favourites of mine as a result of having invested so much time into them in the first place, and having learnt a bit about it along the way here the SARB is no different. Still a great looker and with my own one’s problems solved it’s well on its way to becoming a very regular wearer for me.

Stay safe and stay in touch all, hope to hear more from all of you in the coming weeks.

G

Comment

• Gauss
                    Gauss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for having a look Don and retlaw and thanks for your input!

Don, regarding the QC I have to admit I had a look at some forum posts afterwards and saw that indeed assigned rates of 'failure' per 100 or per 1000 units are assigned as acceptable, and in a way I think if I have a 'bad' SARB maybe that means that 999 other people have got great ones, and at least I could get inside and fix up this one. I think that initially I was thrown off by what I had paid for the watch, but it was all relatively straightforward to fix and now I have a super cool Seiko to enjoy!
                    Last edited by Gauss; 25-03-20, 21:26.

• Don
                    Don commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gauss, super chillin' cool for sure. Many years ago, I had the predecessor to your SARB033, the Spirit 6R15 SCVS003--same watch just slightly different dial script and earlier "B" version movement--and such a well-rounded gents watch it was. I have the responsibility to warn you though, that the '033 is a known gateway drug to something else... https://i.postimg.cc/G21NzYDH/Spirit...GS-SBGR023.jpg

• harlansmart
                    harlansmart commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great job w/the indicators, pretty easy to mess a dial up!

And this happens to the best of them, often, dust etc can be hiding anywhere:

'Putting a watch back together and seeing tiny speck of dust you missed under the crystal is very annoying.'

Day 1 (actually feels like day 4 already), my Grandads 1958 Longines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200326_133403.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	57115

Comment

Working...
                  X