Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kronos
    replied
    I have read about this company here in NZ: https://www.otagowatchmaker.co.nz

Haven't used them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Moahunter
    replied
    Thanks guys. I've bought the watch at a price taking account of the state of the dial. Now I'll be looking at the options for dial repair/replacement. I'll keep you posted on the final result.

Leave a comment:

• deerworrier
    replied
    the UK guys are linked below. they would be best suited to do the replacement dial renumbering but should be able to advise on the original dial options too.
    be ready with your patience pants and cheque book!

https://drbillandsons.com/

Leave a comment:

• harlansmart
    replied
    I've just been speaking to Colin at Precision Watch Company, he suggests a good place to get a porcelain watch dial serviced could be 'Wrightway Studios & Auckland Doll's Hospital'.

Copy of the notes I jotted down:

Wrightways Studios Ltd
    Glen Innes, Auckland 1072
    lots of doll work
    porcelain repairs, plates, stuffed animals, wild animals
    Expensive & very good
    Extremely interesting, well worth a visit in any case
    Ross

Click image for larger version  Name:	doll.repair.png Views:	0 Size:	927.4 KB ID:	58502

Leave a comment:

• harlansmart
    commented on 's reply
    Good suggestion, Linton aka Oamaru Watchmaker might be able to advise / assist and just maybe someone like Prof. Colin at PWC (forum friend) would maybe offer his thoughts (if he's got a moment) too - could email him a link to the thread via the shop:

admin@precisionwatch.co.nz

• Kronos
    replied
    Originally posted by Moahunter View Post
    Hi guys. I haven't posted on here for quite a while.
    I've got my eye on a grail watch but the dial is in a poor condition. Some of the enamel is missing and there is a lot of crazing. Is it too far gone or can it be repaired? Any recommendations re repairers here in NZ?
    Hey there,

Tricky one I guess. Try https://www.otagowatchmaker.co.nz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• harlansmart
    replied
    I don't think that's a very easy repair, there's some guys that do that sort of thing but your best bet is almost certainly an eBay special... hard to clean even before attempting to service/protect/repair/refurb... fall apart pretty much... there were some guys in Asia somewhere who were doing some magic w/displays like this, enamel but I think the ones I as thinking of were caught doing it for the wrong reasons, not too sure.

Could be worth it anyway, I'm not sure what they're worth etc, might be worth having a spare unit, other parts could ve useful for when you get the 'Unicorn Watch'.

Leave a comment:

• Moahunter
    replied
    There is an odd case and dial on ebay. It's missing the red inner ring of numbers.So could a dial meister add those?

Leave a comment:

• deerworrier
    replied
    i know of a few boys in the UK that do such things but from the pics of others in a similar or even not as bad condition i'd say the best you can hope for is a lacquer/acrylic layer to prevent/delay further degradation if it survives the ultrasonic bath. its possible fill in the missing areas with wax or enamel powder but it never looks quite the same.
    maybe hold off for that unicorn example

Leave a comment:

• Moahunter
    started a topic Dial repair.

Dial repair.

Hi guys. I haven't posted on here for quite a while.
    I've got my eye on a grail watch but the dial is in a poor condition. Some of the enamel is missing and there is a lot of crazing. Is it too far gone or can it be repaired? Any recommendations re repairers here in NZ?
Working...
X