WAYWOF 5th June 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAYWOF 5th June 2020

Back on my preferred option for daily wear.
    judging by the sound of rain on the roof, its going to be a short day on site
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200605_061741.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	59004
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Have a great weekend all.

Trying to brighten up a dark morning....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200605_072146.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	59006
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Today I'm coming out of the Doxa closet...

Click image for larger version  Name:	dox1~5.JPG Views:	0 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	59009

I know, I know. It's a polarising brand and I've seen past comments on here of people who can't bring themselves to buy them... but trust me, we can still be friends and have civil conversations on this forum :D

All joking aside, this 750t GMT is my lockdown watch and I never thought I'd be into Doxa's retro cases and dial colours until now. Despite it's 44mm case pushing the boundaries on my 6.5inch wrist, it's very comfortably been worn for 2 weeks straight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200604_131234.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.8 KB ID:	59010

Big thanks to Harlan for providing the high-tech Hirsch strap which pairs extremely well - though I do love the original beads of rice bracelet - despite it being the controversial (amongst doxa fans) fake beads of rice - even still, it's super comfy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	doxa logo~2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	59012 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_6133.jpg Views:	6 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	59011

Under macro the finishing is nothing monumental, but as a whole it's just so well put together. Its got loads of charm, has an amazing bezel click and of course the dial...never thought I'd be a fan of yellow but this thing is a perfectly banana yellow - not as fluro yellow as you see in the regular divingstars.

And as simple as it sounds, the main thing that draws me to Doxa, is the oversized minute hand. I often know what hour it is, but I mostly glance down to see just how far through the hour I am.

My only dislike of Doxa's models is the polished outer ring on the bezel - it's a scratch magnet.
    From what I've seen this is why so many of the vintage Doxa's, as nice as they are, just look tired and haven't aged as gracefully as anything with an old aluminium insert.

Already got my eyes on ordering the new Sub 300t online from T&T in Melbourne or from Doxa direct...
    Last edited by retlaw4; 05-06-20, 07:28. Reason: Photos

Comment

• retlaw4
      retlaw4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks H! Your strap makes it tbh. Absolute quality and super comfy

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      Neat new addition, retlaw4 ...My view on Doxa, at the very core of it, is that they are no worse than other Swiss brands, and it's just that some others perhaps employ better PR machines, and some are untouchable regardless of what they do. I frankly love the look of this diver you got, and yes, I like banana yellow over say lemon yellow too. I think they've cut the yellow with appropriate amount of black.

If you time time, please do repost this on the Review section, as WAYWOF threads don't usually get visited at all after 4 pm of any given Friday. A sort of show-and-tell where one leaves the room immediately after one's turn, never coming back :D ...Your post deserves much more views.

• retlaw4
      retlaw4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Don, will do!

Rado from 68

. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9909.JPG Views:	12 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	59023
    'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      Now, if you can just make the hands swap colors as they cross the genre the world would be perfect.

Ol faithful today with its beat up distressed bezel. Enjoying the rain here in CHB. HAGWE

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	59027
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It can not be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell" - Buddha

Comment

Hagwe, a day in town so a chance to wear a non beater

Comment

• harlansmart
        harlansmart commented
        Editing a comment
        They let you out !!!

oooooh, leather set n all too !!

• Don
        Don commented
        Editing a comment
        Connoisseurs like 246 know that anything with all "SEIKO 5","SPORTS", "SPEED-TIMER", and "WATER 70m PROOF" together is a very rare beast indeed.

I am really taken with this 7005-7030, wearing it most of this week and throughout May as well. Seiko's entry-level offerings in the early 70s just had everything you needed and nothing you didn't all in really clean designs.

Did some further digging through an old catalogue from 1974, this reference was still in production in that year (my own is dated 1970), and some quick inflation calculation for 7,800 Japanese yen in 1974 shows that this would set you back about NZ $270 brand new if you bought it at the catalogue price today. Fascinating stuff.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

G

Comment

• Artemis12
        Artemis12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally awesome piece Gauss!!! What size is it??

• Gauss
        Gauss commented
        Editing a comment
        The case width is 38mm with the lug-to-lug distance measuring 42mm. Will fit just about any wrist, so sizing isn't too much trouble if you were thinking of looking into one

• Artemis12
        Artemis12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Gauss, it looks awesome!!!

The SKX enjoying some time on the best Seiko dive strap - the FV.

Name:	A036C5A8-9156-4159-B681-B3D4440ABD7F.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	59041

Name:	B87326A8-0D1E-4C01-99F3-4BF75F1B43E9.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	59042

Comment

• harlansmart
        harlansmart commented
        Editing a comment
        Why ARE they so hard to get... no one even responds anymore when I request a box (the Z20/22 FV)

7005 7080 from March 1972. I had a scare with this recently when I found myself wearing it in the water without realizing. But hasn't been a prob!

Name:	thumbnail_20200605_123017.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	59045

Comment

This old thing today. Can feel a great weekend coming on.

Name:	FF2DB789-C7FA-48FC-BEA6-118E6C2E00E0.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	59048

Comment

• harlansmart
          harlansmart commented
          Editing a comment
          very classy IWC

• Don
          Don commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful "old thing"

Soon as I get to a watch, I'll be posting, left w/out one duh

Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club
        New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Some excellent wrist wear today, though unsurprisingly ...I'm with a far more common timeteller.

SEIKO Automatic Diver's 200m SRP777K1
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• Gauss
            Gauss commented
            Editing a comment
            The largest I have at the moment is the Vostok Antimagnetic 020B38 at 41mm width with 48mm lug to lug. In all fairness I would really like an SKX but the prices for new examples seem to trend higher than what I think the watch is really worth at the moment given their discontinuation recently. I really like the look of them but even on more affordable platforms they run almost NZ $500 without GST, and the movement neither hacks or hand-winds and has only a Hardlex crystal. It is a Seiko classic but recent events price it much above what I think is reasonable at the moment
            Last edited by Gauss; 06-06-20, 01:15.

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Gauss, oh yes, that's right, I remember your SE020. The SKX007 or any variant of the 7S26-0020 case ref. will wear around the same, with your Amphibia being a tad thicker due to the acrylic crystal. I completely agree about the current state of prices new, and I don't think you should be paying those prices either. However, you haven't looked everywhere, because you haven't PM me

With these divers, don't write off the Cal. 7S26 when comparing to the 4R36 just yet. They are actually the same grade of movement, as hacking and auxiliary manual-winding are not indicative of movement grade. The 7S26 is actually specified to tighter precision range than the 4R Series. Also, Hardlex is what makes a Seiko diver a Seiko diver--as true to their spirit as the acrylic is to Vostok's. Even the Tuna MarineMaster 300m is still equipped with Hardlex.

Just to confuse you further, Gauss. An original Cal 7002 150m Diver (1988-1996) like a 7002-700x is, IMO, possibly a nicer watch, sits on the wrist much more comfortably, has a vintage charm, and is now depreciation-proof.

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            it's the invisible crystal, it's the invisible crystal...

Breitling used to be good at this... some TAG watches too have really nuts AR coatings...

I think though the ones with the most epic AR's had to have AR on the outside, always have to be careful then

(Have ground the outer AR of many many TAG Kiriums and Breitling... some of the TAG coatings are as hard as sapphire fwiw)

Monster again this afternoon.

Name:	C372DFAA-0215-4AC3-9600-9D383FC80317.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	59067

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Those straps really do seem to go with everything

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
          Monster again this afternoon.

Name:	C372DFAA-0215-4AC3-9600-9D383FC80317.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	59067
          Nice canvas!

Have a good one gents... usual haunt for me on a wet Friday evening about to hoover down a pint of the black stuff

Comment

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the Monster's strap... what is it again canvas or ccccc... what is it again ?

Bellmatic

“I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            BELL-MATIC is just so endearing, classy... stuff paying mega for the Euro equal.
        Working...
        X