Clear All

• Waywof 12 June 2020

Have a great weekend all

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200612_072526.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	59198
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Im very pleased to have this one back in the collection. an orange watch is essential as far as im concerned
    as Don pointed out in his comment on the daily wear page, Seiko have been a long time in releasing another 'lower' tier quartz watch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200612_073509[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	59200
    and it still has my favourite (in the looks department) Seiko strap.

as a wee aside, id like to see a lime green version...

Name:	20200612_074343[1].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	59201
    Last edited by deerworrier; 12-06-20, 08:44.
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Comment

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, for a split second there I though you HAD, a lime green version.

• LeroyC
      LeroyC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah! Lime would be awesome! I agree that those straps look good, but I found them by far the most uncomfortable Seiko dive straps on the couple of watches I used one on. How do they go on the Sawtooth?

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      This is an awesome orange, properly framed by black elements. Re Seiko releasing a lower tier quartz ISO diver, I doubt that we would see that again anytime soon, DW. The SHC Series was an international market model that was designed and came into the world when the global watch scene was yet to be taken over by the Mechanical Renaissance. In 2006, most Seiko buyers in the West still preferred quartz over automatic, and the Sawtooth was a bread&butter Diver, a job taken over today by the Prospex Automatic 4R36. Today, auto is all the rage.

A nice vintage today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4296.JPG Views:	9 Size:	77.7 KB ID:	59203
    'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

SEIKO CRAZY ALIEN 9T82

Looks like yesterday’s jog was a bit quicker: 1:09:10.81

Comment

Already the bag of arse has been worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Actively seeking Tuna of all shapes and sizes...to hunt your pride of lions...

Comment

• harlansmart
          harlansmart commented
          Editing a comment
          Was that OMEGA in the 'bag of arse'?

(gosh, someone send it to me quick!)

• Don
          Don commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol! Was thinking the same thing

Seiko, struggling to match a strap with it.

Might try steel bracelet next

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk
        Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

• harlansmart
          harlansmart commented
          Editing a comment
          Try a different SEIKO ?

Nah, only kidding, I had one of those, awesome watch.

• Don
          Don commented
          Editing a comment
          With long lugs like those, possibly a Nato would also sit well?

Enjoy the weekend

“I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

• harlansmart
          harlansmart commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect watch for heavy farm work.

Name:	d2db019ba31a04f702e4363f4d7f664d.plist.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	59237

Comment

King Seiko has finally caught up with the date, so on it goes for a few days

Name:	KS(1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	59235
          If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            Just love that KS.. may as well be a GS eh... so nice.

On my wrist today is a bit of an anomaly, and too soon to work out what exactly is going on ...Here is a piece that you would be familiar with, a Citizen Promaster Automatic Diver's 200m NY0040, first introduced 23 years ago, in 1997. Within the Citizen collecting community, i.e. excluding the ill-informed YouTubers, this Reference is understood to have been discontinued in 2016. It is normal for Citizen not to announce a discontinuation of a model, and generally, we just see a gradual shortage of supplies among global stockists.

For the next two years, Citizen had no automatic ISO-compliant divers within its catalog. Then, in 2018, with dwindling supply of the NY0040 still remaining, Citizen released a small range of Limited Edition Asia under the ref. NY008x, nicknamed by enthusiasts as the "Citizen Fugu". In the following year, the LE range gained a few additional models with bracelet (Tempus owns a blue version we sometimes get to see here). A general international release of the NY0085/NY0086 debut later in the year ( https://www.citizenwatches.com.au/products/ny0085-19e ), and signaled that the NY008x will indeed become a permanent member of the Promaster lineup--all very good news.

Then, earlier this year, I noticed a number of the original NY0040 being sold by UK and Europe-based vendors, and it seemed Citizen Europe restocked the '0040 ( https://www.citizenwatch.eu/product/ny0040-09ee/ ), much to my surprise ...Did Citizen find a batch previously manufactured and decided to give them to Citizen EU? ...To say that I am a big fan of these watches would be an understatement, as I have owned a total of eight NY00xx prior, including three of these exact NY0040. So, the only logical response from me was to buy one from a Citizen AD

Turns out that this specimen that I have has a production date of January 2020! ...Yes, an actual Corona-era watch ...And a few more examples reviewed online carry 2019 DoM, which leads me to believe that these watches utilize the supply of dials and bezels that Citizen had left over from 2016? Are these the last of the original NY0040 to be assembled?

Many unanswered questions.
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            But they must be making at least 'some' of the parts, otherwise the casebacks would have old dates on them ?

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Harlan, the case and case back on the new NY0085/NY0086 are the same as the original NY0040, but the bezel and dials are different. So, yes, the case and case back could be a current production batch. I need to investigate the differences in case reference number further.

Re serial numbers though, from what I know, modern Seiko and Citizen serials are applied subsequent to the case back themselves being produced, i.e. they are applied when a watch is in the process of being cased. You'll notice this from Seiko's 6-digit frequent lack of alignment with the rest of the text/pattern. There exists some genuine Citizen watch with no serial number (another mystery I have yet to solve), and this might include a number of Citizen assembled locally by Citizen NZ during the 1970s from imported parts due to New Zealand's tax barrier at the time. The latter, I still need more proof.

Prior to 2010, both Seiko and Citizen "stamped" their serial number, but subsequent to that, some sort of "etching" process (chemical/laser) has been used. You can see this on your 2011 AutoZilla's 9-digit serial vs older AutoZilla's deeply stamped 6-digit.
            Last edited by Don; 12-06-20, 21:13.

Distinct lack of HAQ watches today. Got to love the big clutzy retro 70s case and red digital display... waited for the early evening to show them off!

Name:	12 June.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	59245

Comment

• harlansmart
            harlansmart commented
            Editing a comment
            Mean chrono Sir.

Just love that KS.. may as well be a GS eh... so nice.
          Originally posted by sjb View Post
          King Seiko has finally caught up with the date, so on it goes for a few days

Click image for larger version  Name:	KS(1).jpg Views:	42 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	59235
          Can never get a really decent shot with the phone. Never does the slate grey dial justice. If you ever come across a quickset date rocker for a 5606 or 5626 can you let me know?
          If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Re 56 Series QuickSet, you'd think someone would have 3D-printed and made these widely available by now.

• sjb
            sjb commented
            Editing a comment
            3D printed would seem obvious seeing as the original part is plastic. There's a guy in Aus who makes replacements from steel but I was hoping to get an original part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTA-Quickse...8AAOSwBUpbNurO
        Working...
        X