Vintage bracelet recommedations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage bracelet recommedations

Can anyone recommend any vintage style bracelets for my 1970s BAAZ watch?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200627_163846.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.3 KB ID:	59662

Ive got it on a leather strap but I almost never wear it cause it's quite a small piece. I feel like I'd wear it more if I had a bracelet option

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200627_164619.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	59663

Its got 18.5/19mm lugs and as pictured the distance between the case and where the springbar/end link meets is about 1mm or less - almost need a curved end link with a curved springbar for the bracelet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200627_163155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	59664

Something with mostly high polishing would suit the watch, and can be straight or tapered

Nice Baaz, retlaw4 ...Very first thing I would do is to check whether the lug width is 18.5 mm (made for 18 mm straps) or 19 mm (made for 19 mm), i.e. would a 19mm end link fit in.

Second, I'm looking that the clearance between the spring bar and the case, and I would say that certain straight end bracelet will still sneak in. There are cases that strictly only allow curved end spring bars, and for those, a regular straight spring bar alone will not even fit in. See... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...ina-revelation ...in particular, my post #9. Your case does not look so extreme, so could be an easier one to find a bracelet for.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• retlaw4
      retlaw4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Don, I've taken a better measurement and can confirm it's much closer to 18mm. 18.2 I'd say so I'll start hunting for that size

I reckon these might work with the style, all early 70’s all off the bay, both 19mm but all seem very pricey, around the $500 mark but the style might give you some ideas.

First is an omega

Second one is a Tissot Gay Freres

Another Tissot

Comment

• retlaw4
      retlaw4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That third one is looking really nice!

first big plus is you only need a straight end link so no worries about fitting curved ends or rattling ill fitting ones.
    judging by pic 2 you won't need a curved end as you can pick up a thin enough bracelet to fit without hitting the watch case. get a set of plastic vernier to confirm width or if you're not sure just place on a piece of paper and mark the edges then compare to a confirmed 19mm strap.

looking at the dial and the indices i'd like to see it on a razor or maybe a bonklip

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/pr...klip-bracelet/

https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p11...and_22mm_.html

not saying either of these will fit, only linked for example.
    alternatively, have you thought about trying it on a tropic rubber? right era and i think its a sporty enough look to work.
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Comment

looking at it again, i don't think the bonklip would work too well. bit delicate for the case style.

found these in a quick bay search...
      https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/For-SEIK...item5da34f5f9f

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...UAAOSwnihdqGHz

and the full search below...
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...celet&_sacat=0
      “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
      Always aim to be that man.

Comment

• retlaw4
        retlaw4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks DW, I really like the one from uncle Seiko. But yes I might just have to go to the Bay to find something with just a simple straight end

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
      first big plus is you only need a straight end link so no worries about fitting curved ends or rattling ill fitting ones.
      judging by pic 2 you won't need a curved end as you can pick up a thin enough bracelet to fit without hitting the watch case. get a set of plastic vernier to confirm width or if you're not sure just place on a piece of paper and mark the edges then compare to a confirmed 19mm strap.

looking at the dial and the indices i'd like to see it on a razor or maybe a bonklip

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/pr...klip-bracelet/

https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p11...and_22mm_.html

not saying either of these will fit, only linked for example.
      alternatively, have you thought about trying it on a tropic rubber? right era and i think its a sporty enough look to work.
      Tropic’s a good call, there are a few good new ones out there and plenty of comparisons

Comment

• retlaw4
        retlaw4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been meaning to get a 19mm tropic from uncle Seiko for my 6105 so that could be a good option. However I tend to only put rubber straps on watches that I know are water resistant. This BAAZ doesn't have a screw down crown.

Just was posting these and checked Bambis links... great minds think alike. Always had a soft spot for these style bracelets on 70s sports style watches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	090A2BC0-CA0A-4C8A-8AAC-BE8A00CCB142.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	59698 Click image for larger version

Name:	308BE6F0-1753-4080-A910-130D15D394BD.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	59699

Comment

• retlaw4
        retlaw4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Really like that mesh one!

Wait till the big bag comes round!!! You may we’ll find a vintage piece in that

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
        J...Always had a soft spot for these style bracelets on 70s sports style watches.
        +1 with kiwi.bloke

Because your Baaz, in its days, would have been a sports watch, I would even recommend going with a more modern version of the Milanese straps. There are wire mesh straps made with 1.0-mm diameter wires, which I prefer due to their durability over traditional Milanese, which lost their popularity partly due to their Achilles' heel. Milanese are rather fragile, and only one wire needs to break for the whole strap to be unusable. 1.0mm mesh straps are also heavier, giving the watch a more solid feel.

Here are 18mm size 1.0 wire mesh on a 35 mm diameter (excl. crown) IWC that I had a few years ago, with similar hooded-lugs to your Baaz. Lug-to-lug is 40 mm.

Because the head of your Baaz has all-polished finish, you can try and source wire mesh that is polished finish to match, as oppose to the brushed finish you see in my two photos above. But if you don’t mind the brushed version, Timekeeper member Jim ‘strappedin’, normally stock them, though I think he may be out currently. See https://www.trademe.co.nz/jewellery-...e40d724b50-004 ...You can contact him to see whether he is expecting more in the near future, and can even ask whether he could order in polished-finished mesh from his supplier for you.

If Jim can't, then feel free to PM me, and I can point you to one overseas.
        Last edited by Don; 03-07-20, 06:54.
        On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• retlaw4
          retlaw4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Will get in touch with him. I'm liking the look of that bracelet!

If you go to a proper watch shop, such as Precision Watch Co. Watch World ,etc they will have something to suit. Just avoid Chain stores.

Comment

Been meaning to upload this. I managed to purchase a nice mesh bracelet from Jim and although the quality is extremely good for the price, I can't bring myself to wear it. I think that's because the bracelet doesn't taper so it doesn't seem to sit right.

Name:	IMG_20200816_105615_copy_2211x2919.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	60881

The hunt continues...right now I'm following up with a custom strap maker who specializes in bund straps. This might give the watch the presence it needs

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Does look very nice, though. Is the weight now around what you like?

• retlaw4
            retlaw4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah the weight is very nice now

Another option would be an NSA bracelet. Brutally expensive but would have been OEM supplier to similar cased watches in the 70s. I’ve had a few, nice well made bracelets.

Comment

• retlaw4
            retlaw4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay will look them up as another option, cheers!

These are my 2 spares out of my bit box. 70s style and looks and have the taper you are talking about.

Name:	2F6C5FBD-933A-42F4-9C7B-0D6F273CE2A2.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	60891

Comment

Working...
          X